PDA

View Full Version : My new Traxxas Villain IV

gsbuickman
11-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey everybody :tt2:

I recently acquired this gem for my fleet. It's an original Traxxas Villain IV with a few upgrades.

Astro Flight 212D Hydro 75 amp esc
http://www.astroflight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=94

Twin Speed gems Pro Arcornite 19t single motors
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/speed-gem-pro-arcornite-19t-sgl-TRI9259

HiTech HS-645MG metal gear hi torque steering servo
Twin metal Octura props
Tactic receiver

I get a good laugh whenever I look at the original 84' 2 stick Traxxas radio.
I am not using it, but its kinda cool to have and gives it the Original' look. I will run it as is for now, but I will be updating her soon. I'll build it like Make a Wake's "wolf in sheep's clothing" or run twin sub ten turn brushed motors ?, it might be cool.

I'll start my Miss Bud conversion soon, I think this may be next in line !!!.:rockon2:

gsbuickman
11-17-2011, 01:15 PM
round 2 of pics

gsbuickman
11-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Third times the charm I guess. Think I am going to use photobucket as my primary image host

Make-a-Wake
11-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Looks good, it amazes me how many of the old IV's are floatin' around out there...................and folks still buy 'em up! Those are the 19t motors in the pic?..................runs good?

gsbuickman
11-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Yep, those are the 19's. I haven't got it in the water yet, hoping to get it in tomorrow hopefully, weather depending of course. I'll let you know !!!.

gsbuickman
11-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey everybody,

Its been above freezing here the last couple of days, and the ice on my local boat hole melted off. I took my new traxxas villain iv out for a shake down run a lil' while ago. I only ran it on my 3s. I made a couple of 2 min passes with it though. The esc don't have a a lipo cutoff and i don't wanna risk trashing the lipo.

Overall she ran real well. I don't have a gun or gps but I bet she's close to or in in the 40's. I bet she'll run better with two 7.2v nimh's but the esc is rated for 6-14v.

With the dual pivoting Octura props, she turns on a dime. At full throttle she turns so tight , she pretty much stands on her tail and spins around !!!. I don't know what the prop # is but I am impressed with this 30 yr old beauty.

gsbuickman
11-29-2011, 10:19 PM
I spent a lil' time working on her last night, I changed the servo horn, smoothed out and evened the linkage throw's, greased the zerts and dropped the props a lil'. I identified the props too, they're a pair of Octura X447's. I got her in the local boat hole for a while today. She's definitely in the 40's now as she sits.

For now I am impressed with her as is. I would like to see what she'll do with a pair o' 10t or 12t doubles though. For now I'll keep working on my Parma Ski Tiger build !!!!.

Make-a-Wake
11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Glad you're enjoying it..............................not trying to dampen your spirits but 40+ mph seems almost impossible with that setup. I have hit right at 40 with a single brushless Villain on 6s and it took me a year of tweaking.

Here's one of my single brushless Villains right at 40 mph............

ygtakILr0r4

gsbuickman
11-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Thats alright wake, no big deal. Pretty sure I lost it today anyway. It went into cutoff mode earlier and the wind blew it into a stand of reeds in about 20 feet of water. Last time I seen it, it was bobbing nose up vertical half submerged. If I can grab a kayak in the mornin', hopefully its still there. Cross my fingers

Make-a-Wake
11-30-2011, 11:36 PM
That sucks..............at least you ddint risk your life swimming after it. Hopefully you'll get it back.