PDA

View Full Version : Noob trying to pick a boat Impulse or Mystic??

Scooter B
11-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey Guys, I tried the search feature but could not find what I was looking for. I'm new here, been out of RC since the days of the Grasshopper, Hornet, lunch box, etc...

I'm new to RC boating, but have been running full size offshore boats for many years. I know the handling differences, rough water capabilities, etc of both the cats and the deep V's, but does this transfer to the smaller models?

I'm on a pretty good size lake that usually has at least a slight chop on it, almost never like glass. I plan on doing some mods to make it faster and want to know which one would suite my needs better. Which is faster? or capable of being faster?
Impulse 31 or Mystic 29?

Thanks!

Scooter B
11-12-2011, 10:59 AM
20 views and no one has an opinon on these two boats?

Let me try again...

Which one would you, the seasoned RC boat guy purchase?

LarrysDrifter
11-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I say the v hull since you have a bit of chop.

Rob DeAngelis
01-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I had the same problem with picking one.... after a week of reviews and some good feedback I chose the mystic...

desmobob
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
My normal boating venue is a large lake that tends to be rough. I picked the Mystic and can tell you that when it's a little choppy on the water, you'll be doing a lot of retrieval/rescues! My next boat will be a deep vee, but I don't regret buying the Mystic cat one bit.

Take it easy,
desmobob

Back-lash
01-21-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm also new to RC boats, but have been running offshore fishing boats for a long time. Alot of that knowledge still applies. I was unsure about adjusting the tabs on my Impulse 31 and what a difference it made. I also run the boat in a canal that is rarely glass, but the Impulse runs like a champ there. You'll have a blast! Enjoy.

ejimbo4
01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Impulse31!!! I love mine! Stock with just a prop upgrade and it is a blast!!

Darin Jordan
01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
I would suggest that the Impulse 31 is a much more versitile boat. It's great out of the box, and doesn't really need any upgrades or "race-prep" to get it going FAST... A quick prop update and it wakes right up.

When you are ready to go faster, motor/power upgrades are simple, and effective.

Further, there are more race-classes that it'll fit into, from P-Ltd, to P, and even for Q, in a pinch.

It's just a great quality package!

Not to take anything from the Mystic... Most of this applies to it as well. However, it can't handle quite as much "rough water" (Cat vs. V), and has limited classes it can be raced in, should that be a factor. It's totally cool, however, and can be made to go VERY fast, as many here can attest. It handles well, drives nicely, and is pretty peppy out of the box.

BOTH are a blast!

Have Fun!

Back-lash
01-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Darin, you are absolutely correct. I upgraded the prop on my stock boat to a M445, and the connectors to 5.5 bullets, and it's a different boat. I'm thinking I'm going to run it like that for a bit, then maybe upgrade motor and ESC come summer time.

Darin Jordan
01-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Darin, you are absolutely correct. I upgraded the prop on my stock boat to a M445, and the connectors to 5.5 bullets, and it's a different boat. I'm thinking I'm going to run it like that for a bit, then maybe upgrade motor and ESC come summer time.

I know... I designed it to be that way... :cool2: :tiphat:

Enjoy!

Back-lash
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
I thought I read that somewhere, but wasn't sure. You did a great job!

Scooter B
01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info guys! So it appears to be true that the rc models are very much similar to their big brother full scale boats. Looks like Impulse it is!

Thanks again.

Back-lash
01-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Scooter,

You'll love it. Change out the connectors if you are going to upgrade the prop (trust me, I should have listened when I upgraded my prop). Enjoy!