PDA

View Full Version : Water jacket leaks

petej
11-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi,

AquaCraft sservice shipped me a new motor and water jacket.
I lubricated the water jacket o-rings with silicon grease, slipped on the motor, installed into boat.
When I try to run the boat, it floods with water, leaking from the water jacket. What can I do, how do you properly seal a new water jacket to the motor?

tlandauer
11-11-2011, 03:25 AM
AC water jacket is extremely hard to install and then there is always the post installation leak. Don't try to take it out because you will ruin the thin/flimsy O-ring, You Need them inside to have clearance between the jacket and the motor can. In my opinion there isn't much you can do to it. For subsequent projects I bought OSE's upgraded jacket which comes with oversized O-ring and is much easier to put on. Having said that, the way I solved my AC leak was to use silicone sealent from hadrware store (the ones that say Kitchen/bath/plumbing, they come in a tooth paste like tube, don't get any bigger size because the shelf life once the tube is open is not long!). I use GE brand. Just seal the two ends . Make sure you go the whole circle around the motor/jacket. I used a thin ruler to smooth it out after the application. The finished look is that there is a 45 degree slope from the motor can to the jacket. I made sure that there was plenty of that stuff around and I tried to "push In " that goob into the groove. Anyway, that method worked for me.
Forgot to mention that make sure you take away any grease that might have been there before applying the silicone.

dana
11-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Try doing it again. Make sure to test system before use by blowing some water thru it. Also there are many aftermarket jackets that are better than stock for you to purchase if needed

longballlumber
11-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Is it leaking from the O-Ring or is it leaking from the set screws from the outlet/inlet options? Get a mouth full of water, pinch or plug up the outlet and blow the water thru the system. you should be able to see where the water is actually leaking from.

Later
Mike

petej
11-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for your input, ideas.

When I installed the cooling can, one of the o-rings was dis-lodged in the can.
I re-installed, tested with compressed air and all was well.
Ran the boat many times and she was bone dry inside.
My lessons learned are:
1. Don't assume the o-rings are in place.
2. Test in garage before sea trials.

Thanks, again.