PDA

View Full Version : MHZ Micro Iceberg setup discussion

midnightsabotage
11-09-2011, 04:11 AM
Had a couple guys helping me discuss power setups for my new hull in it's sale thread. Figured since the boat was sold, it was best to bring the conversation to a more appropriate location.

Hull's a 17" MHZ Micro Iceberg.

I do have 24mm inrunners I ordered for a AQ minicat hull, but really don't like that it's made of abs. Happened upon this MHZ fiberglass hull, and I think I'll ditch the Minicat.

If anyone is interested in a minicat hull btw, let me know, I'll send it to ya for cheap. Just need to install motors and then seal up the bottom & the deck again - I had to take the top & bottom apart to get the old brushed motors out.

Anyhow! I was pointed towards a pair of these watercooled outrunners on hobbyking's site:

ADS300 Water-cooled Brushless Outrunner 3000kv 300w (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11875)

And then I was told about this one as well, as it was run as a single drive in a 15" mini v with great results.
ADS400L Water-cooled Brushless Outrunner 3700kv 600w (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17152)

Any other options or opinions on these?
I'm leaning towards ditching my 24mm inrunners:
S2445-3200 Brushless Inrunner (3200kv) (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15185)
- just because of the trouble I may have to go through to figure out a way to watercool them effectively. It would be nice to run a pair of Turnigy/Seaking 35amp escs though, because I already have one that I haven't used yet.

:help:
-Jeff

NativePaul
11-09-2011, 05:02 AM
Leopard make them for their 24mm range, as Steve is a Leopard dealer he may be able to get them, If not try Astec (http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_64&products_id=1319)

macdon
11-09-2011, 05:08 AM
good deal... but macdon, you're using a single ADS400L in your mini v right? Not the 300... Wonder if 2 300's would be a big jump from the 1 400...

I like that the 400L is a 28mm, but the 40amp max might mean I'll need to look at new speed controls too. Already had one of the turnigy/seaking 35's. Oh well. If I went with one of those though, the XL is the same diameter & goes up to a 45amp max. 400less kv, but I'm sure i'd more than make up for it with a slightly larger prop. I'll figure it all out!

Anyhow, I think it's best to discuss this elsewhere. This is in the for-sale forum & the boat is sold.

As such, I started a thread HERE (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?30207-MHZ-Micro-Iceberg-setup-discussion&p=369283#post369283) if you guys want to talk some more about it
:)

Thanks!
-Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Great to see you start a new thread for your build. I've attached your last post on the for sale thread to this thread, so hope thats okay.

Yup, I only used one ADS400L in my 15" Joysway offshore warrior mini deep vee. Almost all members of our boating club here in Manila uses this mini deep vee as it is a blast to play around due to its self-righting hull - thus we always experiment on this boat hahaha.
The stock motor that came with the boat is fast, but most have used the 2445 3200kv inrunners. In my case, I used the 2445 motor to a fiberglass hull reef racer, so when I got my Joysway, I placed the ADS400L.
Between both motors, I really like the ADS.

Typical of our setups in varying motors, the rest are similar - Turnigy Marine 60a esc, micro servo, Turnigy 3s 2.2mah turnigy battery and 32mm prop.
Using 2 ADS300 3000kv will work and will outperform a single ADS400L - I think. Just as long as the hull can take it. The only advice that I can give you is beef up the motor mounts if you're using ADS outrunners as they have very strong torques. I had a DIY fiberglass motor mount that got ripped out by this motor in a modified reef racer! These ADS motors come with cooling built-in - so it would save you with simple DIY mounts rather than those mounts with water cooling. No need to buy water jackets as well.

midnightsabotage
11-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Thanks, NativePaul - had no idea Leopard even had a 24mm range. I bought the 24mm inrunners to fit in the stock location of the 24mm brushed motors in my mini wildcat - figured I could use the stock coiled aluminum tubing for cooling (which I still could do I suppose) but I'm not too optimistic about it's cooling efficiency.

I'll have to look for other sources for those cooling jackets and see if I have any luck. I'll definitely run those motors if I can get a hold of some jackets. Otherwise, those outrunners do seem like they'd do the trick nicely & I can always strap some pusher props on the 24mm inrunners and stick em on the back of my Electrajet plane :D

midnightsabotage
11-09-2011, 05:23 AM
The only advice that I can give you is beef up the motor mounts if you're using ADS outrunners as they have very strong torques. I had a DIY fiberglass motor mount that got ripped out by this motor in a modified reef racer! These ADS motors come with cooling built-in - so it would save you with simple DIY mounts rather than those mounts with water cooling. No need to buy water jackets as well.

Having the motors in the sponsons for a twin setup should make for some pretty strong motor mounts. I'll just cut a solid sheet of carbon fiber to the shape of the inside of each sponson and then fiberglass/epoxy it in on the 3 sides that are touching. I've seen lots of build threads for larger cats doing that, hope it'll be easy enough for this one too. I do like the built-in cooling for the outrunners, & unless I can find somewhat inexpensive jackets for the inrunners, I'll most likely go that route at this point.
But optimally, I think I want to atleast try and run the inrunners if possible - they'll save me $ on speed controls because I'll only have to buy one more 35amp turnigy/seaking. And then if I can find jackets that are less than $20 each (which I can't imagine them being more than that) it'll cost less than buying 2 new outrunners & I wont have these 2 motors laying around anymore :)

Or heck, maybe this thing needs two 28mm Leopards? I dunno!
...I should see if 36mm motors would fit...

:rofl:

NativePaul
11-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Post is fairly cheap over here and there not big or heavy, I expect Allan at Astec could get a pair out to you for well under $40. Having said that cooling coils can work well when used with heat sink compound, you can make a much better coil than any I have purchased though, by gripping the end and pulling it down as you wrap it around your mandrel you can crush the bottom of the tube so it is "D"shaped in cross section and has far more surface area contacting the can than a standard "O" cross section coil, they also need much less heat sink compound to fill the gaps.

tagasagwan
10-15-2012, 11:52 PM
I wonder what happened to this little critter?:noidea:

Hey Jeff! Were you able to finish the build? I have a small nice place for her on my boat rack!:biggrin:

midnightsabotage
10-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Whoops, nope!

Never got her started actually. Been sitting away in the cabinet. I did get my two 35a Turnigy marine escs though. The motors I had ended up going to other things. It was the perfect recommended sized for a Great Planes Rifle, so one went in that and then I sold it. The guy who bought it crashed it on maiden and then bought the 2nd motor for me for some other use.

So I need to find 2 new motors. I'll be sure to find something with jackets!

I made a little big of progress on my Sprintcat this year, but that was it. Never put anything in the water or anything.
-Jeff

tagasagwan
10-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Oh I see! I was wondering if you'll consider selling it!

midnightsabotage
10-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Sure I'd consider it. PM me about it.

Do you have any questions about the boat?
The condition is the same as before but I can always snap some pictures of the hull and hardware again if you'd like.
Would you want the twin 35amp speed controllers with it?

Shipping to you would be pricey, I'm sure. But we can see if we can figure out what it'd run if you're interested.
Shoot me a PM,
-Jeff

Here's the sale thread I got it from, so you don't have to go searching to see the olds pictures and the specs again:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?23213-MHZ-Micro-Iceburg

tagasagwan
10-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Hey Jeff,

Sent you a PM bud!

Stephen

tagasagwan
10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey Jeff,

Sent you a PM bud!

Stephen

midnightsabotage
10-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Replied!
-Jeff

Southwest
10-18-2012, 10:53 AM
I have a 3000 in a wooden 22" Rumrunner mono on 3S and it flies. I use a 632 Octura prop on the wooden mono and also use the 632 in all my 22" monos as they do the job. Now 2S is a little to slow. Don't overpower these cats as your defeating your purpose of having good high speed of these cats ( 17").

tagasagwan
10-19-2012, 10:19 PM
What motors would you guys recommend for twin set-up and single set-up?