PDA

View Full Version : Castle Hydra 120 question...

2mdeaver
11-07-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm new to this sport. I bought a 1/10 scale, 1960's hydro hull and decked it out with all the electronics. Now I'm just trying to figure it all out. I'm using a 4s Lipo pack and had the boat ripping along pretty good today... once. The throttle quit working after the first run. After reading the manual for my castle hydra 120 speed controller, I learned that I was supposed to disable the BEC if using anything higher than a 3s pack and connect a separate battery pack for the receiver and servo. Since I didn't read the fine print, I connected the separate battery pack without disabling the BEC. (What the heck does "BEC" stand for anyway?) Please tell me I only fried my receiver and not my speed contoller...?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Hydromaniac
11-07-2011, 09:43 AM
If you did not disable The BEC, (Battery Eliminator Circuit) and ran a receiver battery pack as well You most likly hurt the receiver by to much voltage to it, But could have damaged the speed control as well. I run a lot of Hydra 120s on 4S set ups with out a seperate battery pack for the receiver. I have yet to hurt a receiver but I know the Castle directions only recommend 3s for the bec, so I think it kind of depends on the receivers themselves if they can handle the extra voltage. I am using spectrum radios and receivers. I would try another reciver using a seperate battery pack and disconnecting the ESC s BEC and go from there. Hope that helps some.