PDA

View Full Version : First time MC boat story Debacle , with some questions

floatn turd
11-04-2011, 03:37 PM
So I bought the boat, bought the batteries, bought the $120 charger, and the fancy prop, sent it out to get professionally "done".
Stuck it in the water and it took off for about 5 sec till it hit and started to drag a whole friggen submerged tree branch, this this was huge. Got the MC back to shore and sure as *!***!***!***!**, the new prop is bent all to hell. I stuck the stock plastic prop back on and the boat barely moves now. The shaft spins straight. So I'm not sure???

To top if off I'm positive some stupid duck was laughing at me the whole time with his squawking.
Besides that I am having trouble with making the throttle work when I fire it up, The sequence in the manual does not always works for my boat. I have to try a bunch of different positions on the 'controller' to maybe make it work. (maybe my esc took a dump)

What is the correct procedure (beeps and controller switches) that I should follow?
And once I do this, if it still runs at a way slow speed, what might the problem be????

thanks for the help

Doby
11-04-2011, 03:51 PM
How long did you drag everything? Could have fried the motor, controller.....what batteries have you got? Where are your trims set on the transmitter?

sanyijr
11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey Turd,

What lake you on?

You might have bent up something else as well. I would check the drive line. Maybe disconnect the flexline from the motor and check allt he parts for smooth operation.

The other thing is your dog drive might have slipped, making the prop slide under load. Check that. If all is running smooth, no vibration, etc, then I would think the prop is not biting. Either from slippage, or your new setup is not meant to be used with the stock prop. Are they of similar size? Collet might be slipping too.... (this is all assuming the ESC is working properly.

Did you set the high throttle point forthe esc? This always needs to be done first thing with new ESC's. It might not be reaching full RPM is full throttle not set.... What ESC you have in there?

Sean

floatn turd
11-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Doby,
branch dragged for about 50ft
Batts are Gen, 2s 35c 5300mah (new)
Controller: rudder knob about half way (arrow pointed up)
Throttle, all over the place tring to get the ESC to work, But when it does its set about 1/3 to the left. (thats where the prop stops running on its own.

Is there a way to tell if something is fried?

thanks

Insaniac
11-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Sounds like you've got yourself a "Float'n Turd"...

floatn turd
11-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey Turd,

What lake you on?

You might have bent up something else as well. I would check the drive line. Maybe disconnect the flexline from the motor and check allt he parts for smooth operation.

The other thing is your dog drive might have slipped, making the prop slide under load. Check that. If all is running smooth, no vibration, etc, then I would think the prop is not biting. Either from slippage, or your new setup is not meant to be used with the stock prop. Are they of similar size? Collet might be slipping too.... (this is all assuming the ESC is working properly.

Did you set the high throttle point forthe esc? This always needs to be done first thing with new ESC's. It might not be reaching full RPM is full throttle not set.... What ESC you have in there?

Sean

Sean,

The lake is just some crappy lake in my town (chino)

and my set up is all stock with exception of the bent prop which was a grimm 42x55

When I looked at the plastic prop and reved the motor a bit , it looked all straight, So maybe its the "slipping" you talked about,
How would I check that.?

And I saw you are from CA, any good shop that you know of in Socal? In case I cant fix this thing?

Thanks

Mr. Turd

floatn turd
11-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Just a side note, it hauled ass for the 4-8 secs before I hit that branch, then It was slow after.

floatn turd
11-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Sounds like you've got yourself a "Float'n Turd"...

Thats true, But this would be an expensive flush

siberianhusky
11-05-2011, 07:12 AM
LOL I hate my old AQ esc, not using the AQ radio and I have to dial some strange settings into my transmitter, the travel is 130% forward and back and the trim is set to back 20 clicks!
Does it sound like it's revving fully on the bench? Don't hold full throttle for more than a second of so.
If you remove the drive dog you can see if the set screw has scored the shaft by slipping, you need a nice little flat spot for the set screw to grab onto, use some blue loctite on the screw when you tighten it back up, make sure you leave about the thickness of the cable space in the driveline.
Make sure the motor collet is still good, they can break on occasion, especially if they got torqued up without the cable. Usually you can't get the cable into a broken one unless the piece has fallen out.
Check the brass stuffing tube to make sure the branch didn't bend it or crack it loose from the hull, it comes loose if you look at it anyway, motor mount flexes too much and the whole driveline bounces around.
You may also want to replace the flex shaft, the had a problem with the stock ones breaking. OSE sells a direct replacement.

sonny1717
11-08-2011, 12:14 AM
when you say, your town, chino, as in chino ca ? i have the same boat and we drive , as in a group of us , all the time, you ever need advice , i've been through the ringer. i live about three minutes from prado.

sonny1717
11-08-2011, 12:16 AM
pegasus hobbies in montclair has a good selection of stuff

floatn turd
11-08-2011, 01:32 AM
LOL I hate my old AQ esc, not using the AQ radio and I have to dial some strange settings into my transmitter, the travel is 130% forward and back and the trim is set to back 20 clicks!
Does it sound like it's revving fully on the bench? Don't hold full throttle for more than a second of so.
If you remove the drive dog you can see if the set screw has scored the shaft by slipping, you need a nice little flat spot for the set screw to grab onto, use some blue loctite on the screw when you tighten it back up, make sure you leave about the thickness of the cable space in the driveline.
Make sure the motor collet is still good, they can break on occasion, especially if they got torqued up without the cable. Usually you can't get the cable into a broken one unless the piece has fallen out.
Check the brass stuffing tube to make sure the branch didn't bend it or crack it loose from the hull, it comes loose if you look at it anyway, motor mount flexes too much and the whole driveline bounces around.
You may also want to replace the flex shaft, the had a problem with the stock ones breaking. OSE sells a direct replacement.

I will look into all that stuff, this week and see what kind of damage I did.

Thanks for the help.

floatn turd
11-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Ok, I looked at the boat today, and when I spin the prop by hand, the motor does not spin. (it used to spin the motor, b4 I hit that branch, but now the prop spins pretty freely)
If I spin the flex shaft by hand next to the motor, then the motor spins and feels correct. So something has took a dump, but I dont know what the name of it is, so I can order a new one.

Anyone have a idea?? is it a "drive-dog" or "collet"??

thanks

siberianhusky
11-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Could be either, the prop is held by the drive dog, the collet holds the shaft at the motor, both should just need to be tightened, you might need to grind a flat spot on the shaft for the set screw of the drive dog.
You should be removing the drive shaft after every days running, dry it off, it could rust otherwise, fresh lube before you head out for the day.
You'll want to use some loctite on the drive dog screw, the tend to loosen off otherwise.
You might need to sand the stub shaft smooth again, the drive dog spinning may have cut a slight groove in it.
No big deal, happens all the time. Shouldn't cost anything to fix unless the shaft is really chewed up.

floatn turd
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Its all fixed

thanks for the help Mr. Husky