PDA

View Full Version : Does the rooster tail tell a story

G-UNIT
11-01-2011, 12:56 PM
As the title says, can you judge your strut setting by the size of the rooster tail.
to large, and the prop is to far out of the water and to small, prop is to far in the water and is this a good indacation of speed.
with my strut at the stock set up out of the box running 4s 2s x2 my rooster tail looks to be about 10-12 feet high, looks cool.

Darin Jordan
11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
A tall rooster-tail means that the prop is throwing a lot of water out the ends the blades... so it should have a more lift. However, water going up, isn't going back, and therefore, will be providing less thrust.

If you watch the very fastest boats... the rooster tail lays down almost flat at full tilt... maximum thrust...

tiqueman
11-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Long and low. thats what I was always taught

G-UNIT
11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys, long and low = more thrust, high is cool looking but not effiecient.

TAMonti
11-01-2011, 03:40 PM
So to "remedy" a tall rooster tail, does the prop need to underwater more, or angled down a bit???

Fluid
11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
It isn't that simple. Some props will throw a tall 'tail no matter how it is adjusted; high-lift props in particular. Too, the same high-lift prop going really fast, 70-80+ can throw a low tail. Just because the roostertail is kinda high does not mean the boat isn't running fast. A stopwatch and GPS are better tuning tools.

Make-a-Wake
11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Yep.................long and low.

Here are a couple shots of my Favorite boat.............39" "Darth Vader" as i call it.

30+ ft roost long and low................sorta proud of how it looks .:thumbup1: