PDA

View Full Version : extra cooling for Impulse

de-pro
10-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I looked everywhere on the transom to find a place to mount a second water pickup but there is barely any room.
Any thoughts on installing the floor mounted pickups? any disadvantages and does it change the handling characteristics of this type of boat. I am thinking of installing one just behind the ESC on the left side.
Thanks in advance

roadrashracing
10-30-2011, 11:13 AM
are you running stock electronics? there should be plenty off cooling. Otherwise do the dual rudder.

de-pro
10-30-2011, 12:08 PM
no stock electronics. 4074 motor seaking 180 esc. I considered the dual pick up rudders but barely any tolerance between the rudder and the prop to go dual

roadrashracing
10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocsw
I would do something like this, drill a hole and your done.

There is not much room on ther transom, I had the idea of mounting something on the very back but there is no access to the back side.

de-pro
10-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks. Wouldnt this be more streamlined

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80400

roadrashracing
11-01-2011, 12:56 AM
I would would not want to try to cut a hole for one of those.:scared:

ejimbo4
11-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I am planning on putting a second water pickup on my Impulse also and I was considering using my drain plug hole as I haven't used it yet to really drain the boat. If I do get any water in it I just turn it up side down to shake it out. Anyone see a problem with that? Also I am thinking that a bulb syringe like they use to get ear wax out of a ear or snot out a baby's nose with a piece of fuel tubing/cooling tube would work good to suck any small amounts of water out quickly also.

IRON-PAWW
11-13-2011, 02:37 AM
I seem to get really good water flow with just the stock single rudder water pickups. I recently also went to a Leopard 4074 (2150kv) and a Seaking 180. I got some larger diameter water tubing off Steven here, routed that through the Seaking first, then through the Leopard's cooling jacket and out the side as normal. I get a pretty good water jet at even moderate speeds. I've only had a 5 minute run with the Leopard so far with an Octura X 445 fitted before I lost my Flex cable - complete with propeller - on the bottom of a very murky lake. But - motor was warm - ESC was cold after that. I think just making sure the water lines don't bend and kink too much does a lot - even try to minimise hard turns. I have water tubing looping all over the place in my Impulse to eliminate any hard turns in the tubing and it seems to work well. Boat went like a rocket by the way. Guess I'll need a full run to really know but I've had to hit Steven up for some more gear before that can happen. :)

de-pro
11-13-2011, 11:08 AM
At current temps around 50 F, with a single water pickup I am getting 70 to 75 on the motor and esc. However as things start warming up in summer with temps hitting in the 80s, I like to be able to run my setup pretty cool.
The stock flexshaft cant handle the power of the hotter setups. mine snapped at the coupler but I was lucky and didnt fall out. The upgraded flexshaft Steve sells is awesome.

IMPULSE
12-30-2011, 12:56 PM
sorry if this is a stupid question, kinda new to this but... in the instructions for the esc paragraph where it says WATER-COOLING connections says 1.rudder pickup to ESC in,2.ESC out to motor in,3.motor out to water outlet on the hull, and on my stock impulse 31 its the exact opposite.factory setup has the motor being cooled first.kinda confused on what to do can somebody explain please?