PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Pro Boat Mystic 29 up in smoke !!!!

gonrcng
10-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Here is my Mystic 29 after its second run. What a bad day. I really hope this is not common with their RTR boats and or ESC'S. Made 2 beautiful laps and stopped and waited for my son to come around , accelerated gradually and half way to top speed lost all motor power. still had rudder and then about 45 seconds later there was more smoke than I had ever seen from an r/c vehicle in 20 + years of running/racing them. I really hope Horizon will cover this under warranty......:crying:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/seaneady/photo2.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/seaneady/photo3.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/seaneady/photo.jpg

Make-a-Wake
10-29-2011, 07:54 PM
If you were running 4s i dont see why they wouldnt.........................they sure dont want a "Spartan" sized problem......................

JimClark
10-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Mine has worked flawlessy in my 1/10th scale Hydro

roadrashracing
10-29-2011, 08:16 PM
they don't warrenty them anymore, its guaranted to work out of the box then once its used thats it, thats at least what the told me.

gonrcng
10-29-2011, 08:24 PM
I can't find any issues via internet searches so hopefully I just got a dud and they take care of it. I can not believe the permeating smell that this thing has caused to my hands , clothes and house. Made the mistake of bringing it into the garage when we got home and now the whole house stinks !!!!!! Can you prop these boats up or is it a better idea to leave them stock. I bought an x642 and was going to try it out before this happened. Now I think I will be a little gun shy to throw any more of a load on the stock ESC.

gonrcng
10-29-2011, 08:25 PM
they don't warrenty them anymore, its guaranted to work out of the box then once its used thats it, thats at least what the told me.

Dont like the sound of that.....

Derrick Davis
10-30-2011, 11:12 AM
If you care to, check out the thread I started entitled BLOWN MYSTIC ESC. I had the EXACT same experience you described with my month old Mystic. However, my ESC did NOT show the obvious burned, sooty evidence that you show in your pictures. :confused: I did experience alot of smoke once I got the boat back to shore.
Horizon did replace it (no charge) as a one time courtesy. They told me that if I had any additional issues with the boat I would have to send the boat back to them for their inspection / service. I have had a pleasurable experience dealing with Horizon so far. For whatever it's worth, this was the first time I needed to let them know of an issue with a product. Hopefully you get the same result when you contact them. Have a good day.:tiphat:

gonrcng
10-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Nice to hear they took care of you. I hope my outcome is the same. If they dont cover it and I have to come out of pocket I will not be buying from them. Any suggestions on what to go with? I have been looking at the swordfish120 or200 amp or the castle 120 amp. Any pros or cons or other recommendations? I really dont plan on running anything more than 4s with the stock 1800kv motor. I would really like to see it turn that x642 with no problems... Thanks.

roadrashracing
10-30-2011, 05:10 PM
what where you running for battereis, another thing they will ask.

LarrysDrifter
10-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Seaking 120 or Seaking 180 for all the headroom you will ever want or need with stock motor on 4s.

roadrashracing
10-30-2011, 05:24 PM
whas ther what coming out of the side? Just need to ask.

gonrcng
10-30-2011, 05:37 PM
what where you running for battereis, another thing they will ask.
Venom 2s 5000 40c packs

Seaking 120 or Seaking 180 for all the headroom you will ever want or need with stock motor on 4s.
With the 180 how would I configure the cooling tubing with the ESC havin 2 in 2 out and the motor having 1 in , but the boat only having 1 pick up ? would you loop the esc and then go to motor or would I have to add a pick up ?

whas ther what coming out of the side? Just need to ask.
Yes.

Thanks for all the input and help guys.

ray schrauwen
10-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Loop the esc and then to the motor. A second pickup is not needed.

Just get a decent esc as above and you will be fine.

roadrashracing
10-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Venom 2s 5000 40c packs

With the 180 how would I configure the cooling tubing with the ESC havin 2 in 2 out and the motor having 1 in , but the boat only having 1 pick up ? would you loop the esc and then go to motor or would I have to add a pick up ?

Yes.

Thanks for all the input and help guys.

Thats your problem they will tell you, you used the wrong battery, if you don't use the dynamitie lipos they will tell you that the wrong battery was used, I told them I had used venom and they bassicly told me it was my falut.

gonrcng
11-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Just ran the rebuild for the first time today and it runs great. Horizon Hobby customer service sucks and probably wont see another dime of my money but OSE sure will. Thank you Steve for getting my new ESC out so quickly. I repaired the burned hull and only asked Horizon to cover the ESC...... They wouldn't even do that..... The $30 or so cost of the item they just saved by not taking care of the issue cost them thousands worth of my future business. Myself being a hobby junkie and now having two kids getting into r/c .... oh well. Thanks to all the forum members for answering my questions. you all are awesome.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/seaneady/photo4.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/seaneady/photo5-1.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/seaneady/photo6.jpg

Insaniac
11-05-2011, 07:27 PM
OSE is the best!

de-pro
11-05-2011, 08:15 PM
looks familiar in the picture? same esc off of an Impulse. These esc's can not handle lots of prop. an x447 did this one in :) x642 was too much prop for the esc

gonrcng
11-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I am just confused with the wiring. you set the boat up with 10 awg wire and 5.5 + mm bullet connectors but the 2s2p hard case batteries all come with 4mm plugs and 12 awg wire. My wiring from the batteries was hot up to and including the connection of the 10 awg that goes into the ESC ...125*F , but the motor and esc were both @ 95*F. batteries were also pretty warm not hot but around 115*F or so. this was with 5000 40c packs and an X642. with a stock plastic MG prop all was ok and cool. All in all today restored a little of my faith in FE. To have a brand new boat with less than 5 minutes of run time on it almost catch fire was a crappy feeling after hours earlier investing in 2 complete boats, batteries and chargers......

JimClark
11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
There is a lot someone can do to blow these ESC's doesn't suprise me Horizon won't cover it under warranty

gonrcng
11-06-2011, 08:46 AM
There is a lot someone can do to blow these ESC's doesn't suprise me Horizon won't cover it under warranty

I could not agree more. There are ALOT of things that can be done.... In those cases I would understand. When it is a completly stock out of the box RTR boat I think they should take care of the customer for atleast a few runs or say a month from date of purchase.

dana
11-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I could not agree more. There are ALOT of things that can be done.... In those cases I would understand. When it is a completly stock out of the box RTR boat I think they should take care of the customer for atleast a few runs or say a month from date of purchase. you cant prove you werent over proppping etc…. how do they know that? you gotta draw the line somewhere. unfortunately, im sure theyve replaced hundreds if not thousands of parts for people who were mis-using them. they are a business and cant just give out stuff every time someone has a problem. if anything i would be upset with proboat for putting the usual garbage electronics in their boats….-)

gonrcng
11-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Yeah ... it is what it is. They have lost my business over it and I am sure I am one of many that have been looked over and that others were taken care of. Its done and over with and life will move on. I now have a boat that I think will provide alot fun times so thats a positive. :thumbup1:

dana
11-06-2011, 09:20 AM
yup. that seaking 180 is awesome. fun times ahead…

dana
11-06-2011, 09:21 AM
i would try running that sucker on 5s hehe

gonrcng
11-07-2011, 11:08 AM
After recieving a call from my LHS where I purchased these two boats , they have gotten Horizon to send out a replacement ESC. Not that I will use it now ...... but atleast its there as a back up and I dont think they are a bunch of scum bags anymore.......:thumbup1:

Derrick Davis
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Glad to hear they sent out a replacement for you:thumbup:.

HUNTER
11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
After recieving a call from my LHS where I purchased these two boats , they have gotten Horizon to send out a replacement ESC. Not that I will use it now ...... but atleast its there as a back up and I dont think they are a bunch of scum bags anymore.......:thumbup1: Good to see they eventually looked after you. Will make a good spare in case the Geico esc suffers the same fate...

gonrcng
01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
After all is said and done , I am pretty happy with this boat now. Had a blast with it today.

http://youtu.be/PGVECMgNtY0?hd=1

gzee
01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
thinking of getting a mystic can you tell a newbe why they would say the venom 2s 5000 40c was the wrong battery?

gonrcng
01-11-2012, 08:22 PM
thinking of getting a mystic can you tell a newbe why they would say the venom 2s 5000 40c was the wrong battery?

Because its not a "Horizon" product. They are fine to use on a stock boat and should not cause any issues.

HUNTER
01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
thinking of getting a mystic can you tell a newbe why they would say the venom 2s 5000 40c was the wrong battery?Unless they're a hardcase pack they should be fine. Who told you they were the wrong pack?

gzee
01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
they were talking about batts. and blown esc's. >another question why should you not use hardcase packs

Steven Vaccaro
01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I use two of these esc's in my twin mono and some rather large props. So far they are are great.

What we are seeing is that esc companies are starting to shy away from wanting to warranty burned up esc's like that.
There reasoning is that all of them are power cycled/tested at the max loads. So they are assuming that if that's the case, they should run fine if run at their respective ratings. Is it right or is it wrong? I'm not sure. Just passing along some info.

gzee
01-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks
GZ

BBQSteve
02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Just to add on this conversation I am running my Pro Boat Mystic with two 2S hardcase 5000mAh 50C batteries from "John the Battery Guy" and a X642 balanced prop. I am not having any issues with heat, motor, ESC and batteries are almost as cool as when I put the boat in the water. HOWEVER, I am having issues with the ESC. First time motor just quit, released the throttle for about 10-15 seconds and she ran fine for about another several minutes, then quit again. This repeated in about the same time sequence two more times until I brought it in. All cool as a cucumber. Day two, running boat about 5 minutes and it went full throttle, no rudder control. Luckily my lake has a thick layer of weeds around most of the shore and boat went in weeds vice bank at full bore. Motor cotinued to run full speed and then I thought to try reverse on the transmitter (I know the ESC has no reverse) and the motor stopped. After several seconds I had full control and ran the boat, which was on the other side of the lake, out of the weeds and to me. Opened hatches up and all electronics and batteries still cool as a cucumber. So if Pro Boat thinks there ESC fails because of too much pro, not enough battery or whatever excuse they find, they are crazy unless an X642 is too much prop and I don't think so.

gzee
02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Can you give me any more info on John the Battery Guy like prices ect.

BBQSteve
02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
http://stores.ebay.com/FASTRCBATTERIES?_trksid=p4340.l2563

sft2
02-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Oh, him again. Are you getting 20 minute runtimes out of those packs? FYI, they're Gens Ace packs with a new sticker on them. Look closely at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-BOAT-MYSTIC-29-DUAL-HARDCASE-5000Mah-2CELL-7-4V-45C-LIPOS-W-DEANS-45MPH-/360398019295?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item53e9655adf#ht_4642wt_1110

And then at this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-50c-5000-2s1p-hardcase-2222.html

20 minutes? Yeah, no.

Darin Jordan
02-18-2012, 03:22 PM
So if Pro Boat thinks there ESC fails because of too much pro, not enough battery or whatever excuse they find, they are crazy unless an X642 is too much prop and I don't think so.

The X642 is too much prop for that 1800KV system for anything longer than a 2-3 minute racing situation, especially if you haven't replaced the 3.5mm contacts on the motor/ESC... That prop has a high pitch ratio and loads the 1800 system too much for "sport" running...

gzee
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Just going to say that because i just got Gens Ace 5000mAh 40c for $34 from Hobby Partz.Same batt. just his sticker .

sft2
02-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Yup, other than the sticker, my GA 5aH 45c packs are identical, including the charging harness that he sends with them. Don't use that harness in the boat, though. The bullets aren't going to handle 65 amps for long. I made new harnesses with 12g wire and Castle bullets. His must have some magic to be getting 20 minutes, I get 6 minutes.

BBQSteve
02-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Darin,

I don't know what race situation has to do with it, but my Mystic running stock and a X642 prop with the 50C 5000mah batteries will run as cool as a cucumber greater than 6 minutes full speed in an oval. Anyone in the Tidewater area is welcome to come watch anytime. I know you have more experience with these electrics, but I am just telling it as it is.

sft2, I think that 20 minute thing is a copy from one of his car ads where you run one battery at a time for 20 minutes total. Anyway I'm happy with my performance.

JimClark
02-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Not sure why you guy's are so into the hard case batteries. if you get them wet they are pretty difficult to dry out unless these cases are better than the ones I have seen
JIm

sft2
02-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Jim, I only use hardcase ROAR packs because I have them left over from my Slash. The next packs I order will be nekkid. My two best packs spent a few hours underwater last weekend and seem dry and perfectly functional, though.

BBQSteve
02-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Not into hardcase, just what I ordered for what I thought was a good price for what I wanted. I keep the water out of my hulls.....or at least try to. :thumbup:

gzee
02-19-2012, 09:58 AM
I had to order hard packs also but they did not come with the harness they gave me the option for direct wired.Won't be able to use them for awhile still frozen around here but hope to get decent run times with them on a Motley C.

cmorris
03-18-2012, 07:06 PM

So this was today, stock motor and esc with a 445 prop in my buddies MG - any thoughts? I thought the 445 was fine and I am running it on my Mystic and it is fine as long as the ECS doesnt take charge of my throttle and run it into the bank as it did today - seaking on the way!
Chris

ron1950
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
stock mg esc is only a 45amp esc...was it a m445 or x445?

bbbnz
04-21-2012, 06:35 AM
My Mystic had a dud esc from the time i brought it out of the box,emailed the seller just to explain sometimes things just don't go straight outa the box ,not expecting refund but they put money back into my paypal for my trouble,which was appreciated ,they payed me back on my word it was stuffed,lucky i had turnigy 120amp to drop in,and away again,im nu to all this,i find the mystic really stable on the water. im wrapped with mine..