PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 4074 motor timing

Shelbie67
10-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I have a Mean Machine i recently purchased. I have a leopard 4074 2,000 kV motor with a seaking 180amp esc ready for install now that i have all of the proper connectors on it (had all different sizes since i bought from various people). Anyways, i'm just trying to get back into this stuff. Can anyone help me out withe motor timing and how it effects the motor? any suggested settings i should go with? also which is a better battery safety cut, 3.0V or 3.2V?

Thanks!

Fluid
10-29-2011, 01:32 PM
That is a "Y" wind motor, so it 'likes' timing. The more load you place on the motor (larger prop, larger boat, more voltage, running wet) the more timing is required. I'd start with 10 to 15 degrees, I doubt you'll want to load that motor enough to need more.

Timing advance makes up for the time it takes each coil in the stator to reach full magnetic charge. The higher the load, the longer it takes to charge the coil, so you need more timing. Too little advance can be as bad as too much. Advancing the timing can increase performance, but it is a minor power adder. In my SAW cat I advanced the timing from 15 to 20 degrees and gained 3 mph, but that was in an extreme application. In normal sport running the difference between 10 and 15 would be less.

megalops
10-29-2011, 04:02 PM
While you are at it - does the Y wind rule of thumb "likes" timing apply to all Y wind motors? I have a smaller yet simillar motor. A Leopard 3674 1700 kv 2 Y. I have been running on a timing setting of 3 and its runs super cool. I also have a HW 180 seaking and run a x642 or x442 prop. Should i kick it up to say 15 and see what happens?

ray schrauwen
10-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Yes. Y winds typically have less Impedence than D or delta winds.

Try 10* first. Big jumps could make smoke.

Shelbie67
10-30-2011, 02:34 PM
thanks for the response, i cannot wait to get my electronics installed, hatch repaired (got cracked in shipping apparently), and batteries charged.