PDA

View Full Version : Oil System

SweetAccord
03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
I like the idea of the new Rio has it's own oiling system.

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub43-oiltank-lg.jpg

supervee1981
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
thats really cool. does it work with grease...cuz that might be too thick to flow in thier. wish the supervee had some type of grease mechanism, i hate regreasing that thing after every run.

SweetAccord
03-28-2008, 11:50 AM
The Rio still requires that the shaft be re-greased in the manual, but they don't mention anything on the oil system, at least what I read in the manual or on reviews that I have seen. Yeah you can't put grease in it, to pull that off would need to make a pump of sort as for the thickness cause won't flow, it looks gravity fed.

I'm guessing since it's a higher RPM boat and a lot bigger, maybe more lubrication is needed in addition to the grease alone, not sure but a logical guess. But having something like that on must add more runtime and less re-greasing on a less demanding system you would think.

On the other hand, I would love to find something that is a grease equivalent that if the boat is placed vertical that it may be poured down into the drive shaft tube and when it leaks out the back you know it's good to go and still provide the same performance of grease without regressing and having to removing the drive shaft or anything for that matter. . . . . . .

Bill-SOCAL
03-28-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't do the SV shaft but once per day. I pull the shaft at the end of a day's running, clean, dry it, and give it a good spray of Corrosion X. Then I grease it up just before the next day of running.

I use Mercury Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine grease.

The big boats I re-grease after every run.

SweetAccord
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I guess what would be nice is to have a 2-5 mm pipe or grease nipple on the drive shaft tube where you can pressure grease the shaft without having to remove anything . . . . . . . kinda like on your vehicle where you have to lube the bearing/shafts with a grease gun. . . . . . .that way nothing needs to be disassembled.

Problem is that the drive shaft is not completely sealed, the area where the drive shaft enters in to the tube. Who cares if it comes out the back, that is how you know you got the whole drive cable and then just wipe off the excess . . . . . . possible future SV enhancement . . . .

Bill-SOCAL
03-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Won't work if you are running a teflon liner. And it is really not needed on a small boat like an SV. Just remove it, dry/clean it, and re-install after each day of running.

SweetAccord
03-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Maybe a spray that can be shot down the drive shaft tube then with the lubrication properties of grease . . . . . . .

Eodman
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
The traxxas villian spare parts listing has an oiling system that you can add! Don't know if it works but it's in there!

Bill-SOCAL
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Maybe a spray that can be shot down the drive shaft tube then with the lubrication properties of grease . . . . . . .

There are aerosol spray lubricants that spray like a mist but set up like grease.

But really, is pulling the shaft that big of a deal?? You want to make sure you clean and dry it anyhow since you cannot count on the grease to displace all the water that gets in there.

Pull the shaft once a day, clean, dry, lubricate. I fail to see what the issue is.

Flying Scotsman
03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I guess what would be nice is to have a 2-5 mm pipe or grease nipple on the drive shaft tube where you can pressure grease the shaft without having to remove anything . . . . . . . kinda like on your vehicle where you have to lube the bearing/shafts with a grease gun. . . . . . .that way nothing needs to be disassembled.

Problem is that the drive shaft is not completely sealed, the area where the drive shaft enters in to the tube. Who cares if it comes out the back, that is how you know you got the whole drive cable and then just wipe off the excess . . . . . . possible future SV enhancement . . . .

Do what Bill has suggested. Leaving the flex in after a run is not a good idea...retained water, corrossion and the flex left in a position that may not flex when power is applied after a long state of no use.

Douggie

Eodman
03-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Bill I agree ... with the investment factor I want to make sure I do it right the first time! Mistakes are money in this hobby!

However it is interesting that a manufacturer would introduce this! Perhaps it misleads the owner into thinking it is better than the old way and in fact quickens part failure! Early part failure = more spare part sales! Just saying!!!!!

Although I would expect that from Pro Boat rather than Aquacraft! Then again I could be wrong!

Bill-SOCAL
03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
For an SV27 there is no reason to do anything other than what I advised. In fact I do it with all my boats with the only difference being that on small boats I grease every day, and on big boats I grease every run. And I always take the shafts out between days that I run that boat.

And don't get confused by the oiler on gas boats. They are NOT FE boats. A screaming gas motor is doing 15,000 to 18,000 rpm. A FE boat is doing 25,000 or more. And in fact, most gas guys I run with do the same thing I advised. I don't actually see too many gas boats with oilers on them. Some have grease fittings, but those are mostly used on race days.

Flyguy55
03-28-2008, 03:45 PM
A lot of the fast Nitro Guys run oilers . And some of the FE guys . Three of my FE boats at WW IV had oilers . With oilers I don't have to pull the flex shaft after every heat.
I clean and grease my flex shafts before every run when I check things over,( the ones with out oilers )even my SV 27 . BTW Bill , who won the SV 27 class , grin.

Just Add Water Racing Team

Bill-SOCAL
03-28-2008, 03:49 PM
See, I knew it had nothing to do with driver skill!! I am putting an oiler on my SV TODAY!!!!

SweetAccord
03-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I was liking the concept of a product such as this . . . . .

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLYX6&P=7

Not saying this particular product will do the trick, not sure on viscosity and specs. Since it's in a liquid format initially it's easier <-key word, to get into the drive shaft, but then after exposure to air it turns to texture of grease . . . . . . hence, nothing to remove, nothing to have to strip, spaced correctly, nothing that needs to be re-inserted . . . . . . . . . .

Monsterbrad
04-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I am going to try some good silicone mold pin and o-ring grease on it and see how that works.
My buddy has alot to learn about the maintenance on this boat