PDA

View Full Version : Miss Vegas brushless Done!

miltonsafewaybuggy
03-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Finally done the conversion. I used a Feigo 6xl (good torque), adjustable motor mount and will be using two 7.4v Lipos . All parts purchased from Offshore.
Now just have to wait for the ice to melt way up here in the Great White North so I can do some testing.

SJFE
03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Your work looks good & it's nice and clean. I am concerned with the selection of the 6XL. Going on the assumption your running those 2s packs in series you will have around 16 volts fully charged. That equates to 44464 RPM's. That is a huge number and I can't even calculate the amp draw. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think your in for trouble with that motor:sorry:

miltonsafewaybuggy
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I can't be sure the motor will survive the testing stage.(they're cheap to buy) I'm running a Hydra 120 and a M440 prop. If all else fails, it will just catch fire and I'll move down to a smaller motor. Always hoping that it will do fine. I expect a lot of heat too. That's why there two water pick ups. . First actual test will be on just one 7.4v Then I'll get stupid and add one more. I do appreciate the advice. I find that most guys doing this conversion make the mistake of using too small of a motor and not enough RPM. Too much Rpm is bad,but too little can be a lot of work for a speed control and batts too when the boat just drags through the water with no cooling. Just need to play around till I get it Right

SJFE
03-26-2008, 01:37 PM
FYI you will also blow the esc on 4s. My advice and what I would do is to pick up an 8 or 9XL. As we both know they are cheap. If you run on 2s or 7.4 with this 6XL you will be getting around 23000 rpm and she will probably be under 30mph. For that test I'd run both packs paralleled. This will keep you from damaging a single pack by exceeding it's "c" rating. IMO you will be much more pleased with a 4s 8XL setup. Burning up equipment really dirties up the inside of a hull & in most cases it's never the same again. You have a nice setup there and I'd hate to see it scorched. Good luck in what ever you decide. be sure and get some video for us :smile:

miltonsafewaybuggy
03-26-2008, 01:59 PM
You're right I'll pick up the 8xl . I really don't want a fire . or a burn up speed control LOL

Steven Vaccaro
03-26-2008, 02:56 PM
I also agree with the motor choice.

One other suggestion is the wing. Some people remove it, so it doesnt rip off in a flip.

miltonsafewaybuggy
03-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Bought the 8XL. Better to be safe than sorry.

Raydee
03-26-2008, 05:26 PM
How are you planning on taping the hatch down so its water tight? I was looking at converting one of these hulls but I really didn't like the way the front of the canopy connected to the boat....looks like it would be real hard to keep it water tight.

miltonsafewaybuggy
03-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm not expecting it to be water tight, just water resistant. All electronic are sealed , servo is super sealed and really , if you get a servo wet , it won't always kill it, I got the servo in my Super V wet 5 or 6 times and it still works after I dry it out. Some guys are cutting the Cock pit off of the cover and making it permanent on the boat. Then taping it that way. I'm not worried about the water getting in. It always finds it's way in anyway.

OJ racer
03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Do you think it's important to make sure everything's water tight? I haven't water-proofed everything, but I have some hatch tape and the hatch is shaped real well for taping it down.

ace028
03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not expecting it to be water tight, just water resistant. All electronic are sealed , servo is super sealed and really , if you get a servo wet , it won't always kill it, I got the servo in my Super V wet 5 or 6 times and it still works after I dry it out. Some guys are cutting the Cock pit off of the cover and making it permanent on the boat. Then taping it that way. I'm not worried about the water getting in. It always finds it's way in anyway.

My thought is that if you tape your hatch right and have greased the flex cable, you should not get a drop of water in your hull.

Raydee
03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Well water in my hulls isn't acceptable to me. One or two drops here and there is going to happen no matter what you do but I do everything possible to make sure that no water ends up getting in my boats. So far I have been very successful at it and I do many water tests to make sure my electronics stay dry. I have over $600 just in cells in my sport 40 hull and I don't plan on losing them.

I would suggest you make sure and try to keep that hull as dry as possible.....but that is just my two cents. Good luck and let us know how it runs on FE power.

miltonsafewaybuggy
03-26-2008, 11:20 PM
There has been a lot of good advice here today. It got me to buy a new motor today so I didn't actually destroy a set of batteries or speed control. But I don't see the panic over a bit of water in the hull. This boat was was not made to be electric. Hence all the holes in the canopy and the crappy way the canopy fits on the hull. This is not something I'm going to race , I'm just going to have some fun. If it gets a bit wet. I won't worry. I will be running Lipos, therefore I'll be sealing those up tight. WATER+LIPO= BAD.FIRE,Panic.
Water+NIMH= don't worry you can dry them out and use them again and again. In 25 years of Rc the worst i've seen is a vented cell. Pull out bad cell, put in new one. no worry. If you're Really racing on a competitive level. Yes I would be worried that the NIMH will not perform at it's best. Out with the boys playing around, I just dry it out, Throw it on a discharger down to 0 volt. Charge at 6 amps for 8 mins and let them sit till the next time I'm out with the boats. Never had a problem. THese are $120 matched race packs.
All as I'm saying is this is supposed to fun and relaxing. and I just don't worry about water in a hull or a bad battery. My 5 cents worth of free advice.
Milton

OJ racer
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just got the final parts, so I'm doing a test run this afternoon. I also found out that if it's an option, if you mess up your brushless hookups you can just reverse the throttle servo.

Jeepers
03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
I have converted a Miss Vegas to FE, I have also modified the hatch to seal better. water WILL come through the drain plug, it does not seal well, at least on mine anyway! On an 8Xl I would start with a X 438 prop first and do your tests. Also make sure the stuffing tube is supported well. The hull will flex bad when under load in those areas (motor/ stuffing tube) causing the driveline to bind.
Mne actually cracked even after I added more fiberglass to it.

check under the build thread "Miss Vegas goes electric" for my build!
it has not been ran since then.
I have not given up on it just made Alot of changes to it! will post pics of it at a later date! gotta get my race boats done first!

OJ racer
03-28-2008, 07:19 AM
What should you use to reinforce your motor mounting spot?

miltonsafewaybuggy
03-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I used fiberglas cloth around the mount with some epoxy.

Jeepers
03-29-2008, 01:06 AM
I used fiberglas cloth around the mount with some epoxy.

I did that also, still cracked the hull! I have now epoxied 1/4 plywood into those areas.

blakybob
03-29-2008, 02:01 PM
FYI you will also blow the esc on 4s.

Are you saying a hydra 120 will blow on 4s or the set up as a whloe (motor, batts, esc, and prop) will blow it? I read it a couple of times and thought I'd make sure what you intended to say there.

Blake

Heath M
03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
i think he was referring to the original setup of the boat

Heath

OJ racer
03-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I epoxied it straight to the hull before I saw the reccommendations against it, should I make some changes? I've had a couple fast runs without incident, but should I be worried?

Jeepers
03-30-2008, 02:08 AM
It depends on how well your hull was built from the manufacture, some are real thick in that area, mine was not.

just curious how fast were your runs?

Jeepers
03-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Are you saying a hydra 120 will blow on 4s or the set up as a whloe (motor, batts, esc, and prop) will blow it? I read it a couple of times and thought I'd make sure what you intended to say there.

Blake I have used a 6XL before on 4s with a hydra 120 and a detounged x438 it survived a 1 mile heat race, but it was not in a boat the size of the Miss Vegas. I am not quit sure the hydro it was in was considered a boat after that, more like a plane waaaaaaaay to much motor,sure was fun though!

Ub Hauled
03-30-2008, 04:28 AM
This is my solution for this hull...

Jeepers
03-30-2008, 11:43 AM
ub how does it run? looks like a 1521.... 4s2p?

never had a chance to do mine on lipo!

Ub Hauled
03-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I have yet to get it wet.... this week it'll happen.
CG is maybe an inch behind the sponsons...
yes, it is a 1521/1D

miltonsafewaybuggy
06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Finally hit the water a few times this month Prop selection was either an Octura x640 or x642,
I ran fast and cool in perhaps the 40+ mph range.
Played with the CG and got it to run with the sponsons barely touching the water.. hopefully I can get a video and some pictures up in the next few days
I also left the wing on the boat, although I know some guys are taking it off (OR BREAKING it off in a high speed tumble) Seems to be a non issue with it being on there.