PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish 200 amp esc help!!!

Shaas0711
10-22-2011, 05:36 PM
I bought a brand new swordfish 200 from ose for my traxxas Spartan. The problem is I run dual batteries in the boat and when I try to plug both of my turnigy 3s 5000 mah lipo's into my series connector then to the esc it won't do anything but if I just plug one battery straight into the esc without the series connector it comes on fine. Anyone ot any suggestions I already removed the wrapping and water proofed it so I can't send it back.

Boaterguy
10-22-2011, 08:12 PM
it must be the series connector, take an ohm meter (or multimeter on resistance setting) and run it across each part of your serial connector, it one has excessive or lots of resistance, that's your problem.
what connectors are you using?

Shaas0711
10-22-2011, 10:20 PM
The series connector was bought brand new and I'm using deans connectors on everything.

Boaterguy
10-22-2011, 10:22 PM
so if you bought it,it most likely isn't bad soldering jobs.
you should still check, i have had a deans plug just not work no matter how good the solder job was.

Shaas0711
10-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok thanks I will check it. Anyone else have any suggestions or experiencing the same thing?

carlcisneros
10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
sounds like boaterguy has hit it right.
if it works on 1 battery pack and then you go and plug in the series harness and nothing happens, sure sounds like a bad
harness to me.

take the harness off the esc set it on the table, get out the volt meter (hope you got one), hook up the batteries like you would
when you hook it up to the esc and check the output voltage at the esc end.

when you finish that and have disconnected the batteries, do a resistance check of the wiring on the harness. If you get a hi
resistance any where on it, then that is the culprit. (the harness)

this is a couple ways to check the harness out.

if it were mine (just my opinion) I would ditch the Deans harness and make one up using at least 5.5mm bullet connectors.

Boaterguy
10-23-2011, 03:39 PM
if it were mine (just my opinion) I would ditch the Deans harness and make one up using at least 5.5mm bullet connectors.
best thing about this is that you don't even need a harness, almost guaranteed to work!

Shaas0711
10-24-2011, 07:08 PM
You mean make a harness with those connectors instead of the deans? I want to have as little resistance as possible. That would require changing my batteries and the esc to the bullets

sailr
10-24-2011, 07:24 PM
IF you want less resistance, get rid of the Deans! Go to 5.5mm or bigger bullets.

Alexgar
10-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Not to mention deans cant supply the amount of current required by the Spartan motor or any boat of this size my friend amo123 resoldered deans on a bj26 with a x442 prop

Shaas0711
10-25-2011, 07:59 PM
So guys I feel stupid I figured out the problem and it is something I feel I should have checked first. The problem was one of my brand new lipo's (turnigy) from hobby king was bad and that's all it was. Had nothing to do with the esc or the series harness but I am upgrading to 6.0mm bullets and taking your advice with ditching the harness with the deans and building my own with thicker wire. Thanks for all the help now time to send my lipo back to hobby king USA.

Insaniac
10-26-2011, 12:18 PM
So guys I feel stupid I figured out the problem and it is something I feel I should have checked first. The problem was one of my brand new lipo's (turnigy) from hobby king was bad and that's all it was. Had nothing to do with the esc or the series harness but I am upgrading to 6.0mm bullets and taking your advice with ditching the harness with the deans and building my own with thicker wire. Thanks for all the help now time to send my lipo back to hobby king USA.

One by one my Turnigy's have failed...either a lead came unsoldered inside the pack or they puffed...try a better battery too!

tiqueman
10-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Is there a reason in this boat you need a harness to run series after you've gone to bullets? Do the batteries sit really far apart or something?

Shaas0711
10-27-2011, 07:50 AM
No but the esc only has one set of leads coming off of it to plug batterirs in. it doesn't have dual like the stock esc.

tiqueman
10-27-2011, 08:06 AM
So plug battery one neg into batt 2 pos. Then plug the wires accordingly into the esc. Typically use a female bullet on the positive lead on the battery and the male bullet on the negative battery lead. Now you've omitted use of a harnes... less resistance as you wished. :beerchug:

sailr
10-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Just remember the phrase "Red Hot Female" to know which bullet to put on the positive lead of the battery! On the esc end, remember "Screw the Red Hot Female". Haha.

So plug battery one neg into batt 2 pos. Then plug the wires accordingly into the esc. Typically use a female bullet on the positive lead on the battery and the male bullet on the negative battery lead. Now you've omitted use of a harnes... less resistance as you wished. :beerchug:

Shaas0711
10-27-2011, 10:06 AM
wow I love this forum I never thought of doing it that way thanks so much you guys are great just ordered ten sets of 6.0 mm bullets from ose now time to change all my connectors over.

tiqueman
10-27-2011, 04:34 PM
:lol: its so easy it gets overlooked. I thought the same way when I converted over to bullets. Then it hit me, "wait a minute, ohhhh,"