PDA

View Full Version : New Mystic bummer

MORIDE
10-21-2011, 11:44 PM
My new Mystic arrived today, took the cable out to polish and lube it and align it and 2 of the 4 collet pieces were broken, bummer.

desmobob
10-22-2011, 08:23 AM
My new Mystic arrived today, took the cable out to polish and lube it and align it and 2 of the 4 collet pieces were broken, bummer.

My Mystic's collet's threads gave up in a month. An Octura short 5mm/.150" collet is a drop-in replacement and costs about ten bucks, vs. the twenty-four dollars ProBoat wants for the OEM collet!

I bet you're going to love your Mystic! Does the hull seem at all different from your MG; flatter sponsons, thicker hatch, etc.? Just curious.... Do you notice the 300kv difference in the motor in terms of stock speed?

Take it easy,
desmobob

MORIDE
10-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks, I do need to do that have other items I need here also anyway.
I had an extra from my Blackjack and a Octura (But the BIG one too big).
Unfortunetly one of the motor bullet connectors came unsoldered on the second run ( I usually replace them and resolder with 4mm but forgot to do it ) anyway this hull is straighter but couls
d just be production, also the top seems slightly thicker also.

Darin Jordan
10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Guys... what "collet" is coming on the Mystic??? Is it the standard "Octura" looking piece that PB has traditionally supplied, or is it a brass set-screw type?

I thought it had been changed to the set-screw type, but it sounds like they've made a production-run change or maybe I was thinking of the Impulse 31 (different factory assembly)...

The PB collets are lame at best, and the first thing I ALWAYS do is replace with an Octura. I fight the battles I can win in regards to getting these boats "perfect"... getting the collet upgraded hasn't been one of them. Sorry....

While I don't like set-screw type collets... the one that comes on the Impulse 31 does seem to be more reliable than the standard PB collet... so hopefully that's a bit of an improvement.

desmobob
10-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Guys... what "collet" is coming on the Mystic??? Is it the standard "Octura" looking piece that PB has traditionally supplied, or is it a brass set-screw type?

I thought it had been changed to the set-screw type, but it sounds like they've made a production-run change or maybe I was thinking of the Impulse 31 (different factory assembly)...

The PB collets are lame at best, and the first thing I ALWAYS do is replace with an Octura. I fight the battles I can win in regards to getting these boats "perfect"... getting the collet upgraded hasn't been one of them. Sorry....

Mine and my two buddies' Mystics came with the normal Octura-type.

No need for apologizing, Darin! You should be taking a bow instead... the Mystic is a great boat.

Take it easy,
desmobob

Derrick Davis
10-24-2011, 11:23 AM
I concur desmobob. Darin did a great job on this boat....I'm very happy with my Mystic too! I will be ordering a back up collet from ose soon. I may be ordering a new flex shaft as well (starting to seperate a little). I'll need to look at your posts again regarding what shaft you ordered and how it fit. In fact, ....while I'm at it I should replace the strut bushings too. :wink:
Thank you.

MORIDE
10-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Darin, yes it is the Octura type, as mentioned mine arrived broken, however I took the original one from my Blackjack and put it on so I could run. I do have the same original collet on my MG with the stock flex cable that I have been running on 5S all year (new ESC) and have had no issues. I do clean and relube after every session.

What do you think a good prop may be for this on 4S, I am not a racer just looking to run batteries to LVC, fast as I can with no overheating issues.

I tried a GF 445, ran it for 30 seconds and bullet connector came unsoldered, also wasn't as fast as the stock prop I sharpened and balanced (well kinda balanced, steel props are more difficult?)

I am looking froward to playing with these 2 and may put the Mystic offset on my MG?

Thank you for all the replys!

desmobob
10-24-2011, 03:13 PM
I concur desmobob. Darin did a great job on this boat....I'm very happy with my Mystic too! I will be ordering a back up collet from ose soon. I may be ordering a new flex shaft as well (starting to seperate a little). I'll need to look at your posts again regarding what shaft you ordered and how it fit. In fact, ....while I'm at it I should replace the strut bushings too. :wink:
Thank you.

I bought two different flex shafts: a prefabbed upgrade MG replacement shaft from OSE and a long Hyperformance upgrade shaft from Kintec (#8011). The MG shaft had a stub shaft that was too short to reach the front strut bushing in the Mystic, so I kept that as a spare. I soldered and cut the Hyperformance shaft and have had it in the boat for about twenty runs. No problems. I used the lead/Teflon strut bushings from OSE and have had no further shrieking noises from my Mystic's drive train. Those bushings are a bit longer than the stock ones, so the one in the rear of the strut needs to be trimmed back a bit.

Of the three Mystics my friends and I now have, two had the shrieking drive train issue; one did not. The one that does not is the last boat purchased, so maybe the issue has been addressed?

What a fun boat!

Take it easy,
desmobob

Derrick Davis
10-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Moride - I like the Jim Beam logo on your Mystic:cool2: I was thinking about incorporating a Crown Royal theme on mine some how:tiphat:. Maybe I'll see if Monojeff who does custom decals can work some magic. Ciao

MORIDE
10-29-2011, 08:59 PM
It was cheap also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310342794879&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3AOC%3AMOTORS%3A1123

Also an update, I emailed Horizon a picture of the broken collet and a copy of the sales receipt and asked them to do the right thing and send me new one, 5 days later I received a package with a new collet, I have had similar good dealings with HH on a Losi Desert Truck.

The funny thing was it came in a box that was big enough for at least a 100 collets.