PDA

View Full Version : it just wasnt right

calcagno45
03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
ok so on her maiden voyage, she let the fireworks out.

30" cat
9xl
xpower 100- rip
16 IB3800
cf45 prop.

where did I go wrong?

I didnt seal the hatch that well and some water got in, short circuit? or just too hot??

Doby
03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
I really doubt it was water related.
Whats the max voltage rating on the controller?

By the way, welcome to the club of destroyed equipment. We have all had that happen at one time or another. Don't get discouraged :banana:

calcagno45
03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Its the Xpower 100 controller Steven sells.

I'm ordering another tomorrow. The couple passes I made were too much fun!!! I even drew a crowd.

SJFE
03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
xpower 100- rip

Are you saying you got ripped off?

IMO WAY over propped. You had it to the wall on voltage limits and tossed a 45mm prop @ it. Did you pull it in for the 30 second temp check? The rule of thumb is to start with the smallest prop you can. Like Doby said don't give up. We live and we learn. The last mistake I made cost me over 100 bucks.

Doby
03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
SJFE, I think he meant RIP,Rest In Peace

SJFE
03-25-2008, 09:55 PM
LOL yeah I think your right. The lack of R.I.P. sent me in another direction.

calcagno45
03-25-2008, 09:59 PM
lol yeah man rest in peace!!

I wish Steven had some more XPowers in stock tho. Looks like I might be headed to the CC Hydra.

Where should I start like a 40 or 42 prop?? ANd I guess I should have tried 12-14 cells first. Boy she flew tho, and I didn't even run her WOT.

ace028
03-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Not running full throttle may have been part of your problem, because the esc heats up more during partial throttle then at full, it is best to run at full throttle if you can. Like they said above, start with a very small prop, then work your way up keeping your temps in check.

10gauge
03-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Potential problems:
1. Partial Throttle
2. Exceeded the Amp rating on ESC with a 9XL
3. Over-propped

The 9XL is rated at 74A. A 100A ESC won' cut it, give yourself a 40% safety margin. Running 16-cells @19.2v is over 35,000rpm. It seems too much for a 45mm prop on a maiden voyage. You may have exceeded 74A on the motor and exceeded the limit of the ESC. Start with a m440 and work your way up for that setup. If you run partial throttle, you'll burn a Hydra 120 too. I've learned the hard way, I've done that. Run it full throttle!

Share your sorrows with the group, these guys are very helpful. Do yourself a favor, resist the urge to stay out there - bring the boat in and measure temps after 1 minute of running, then go out again. At some point a data logger is a good insurance policy to have, like the V3. Good Luck...

calcagno45
03-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Do yourself a favor, resist the urge to stay out there - bring the boat in and measure temps after 1 minute of running, then go out again.

Man you nailed me. I was loving it. and then a crowd formed and I didnt want to end the show early. lol. But i learned my lesson.

I'll be ordering a Hydra 240 tomorrow and a 40mm prop.

robby76
03-26-2008, 12:01 AM
data logger, watts up meter are excellent tools to show you load, kv, watts, pack .

the ONE you will hear from the pros is "start with a small prop". and when you do, keep a log book handy and after 30 seconds and coming IN, check your temps, watts, and whatever data is available including weather conditions. in two years now of electric offshoring have only lost one ESC due to not having my hatch taped.

the "pros" here know their bussiness and I appreciate all they do for us.

Thank you men & women.

domwilson
03-26-2008, 12:34 AM
I have the Skunkworks cat with a 9xl and it ran great with a hex 120 and a x637 prop. Just switched over to a 8xl with a hydra 120 but still using the x637. I believe the problem lies with being over propped. Try an x637 or x640. Run it on 4s1p lipos. I think you'll be happy. Also make sure your strut depth is not too low. 1/8" above the ride pads works best for me.

domwilson
03-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Also this is a good tool for ball park figures...

http://www.rcboataholic.com/fe_calc.htm

andym
03-26-2008, 04:10 AM
I know for a fact that a 9xl will pull over 150 amps for a short time before it stops, ran one on 5s lipo with a cf 48 prop in a triton, and with a x442 was 115 amps and loving it .

txboatpilot
03-26-2008, 09:18 AM
You need to disable the BEC and run a Reciever batterry pack.... If you are running more than 12cells on the 100A X-Power, it needs to be disabled...

Also part throttle running could have played a part...

I run a 30" cat with 9XL and CF45mm prop, on 2/7.4V lipos in series,,, Runs stong, all day long!! It has a CC120 esc, running a reciever pack and no bec....

Also really check to see where the water is entering from?? I like all my boats to return DRY!!! It is very important to eliminate that factor!!

peells
03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
also might I suggest hatch tape, I had an esc go off like that and it blew the hatch right off and it was a good thing I was using hatch tape or I would have lost my hatch as well as a esc, and the explosion that was nice my boat quits running and it is just sitting there and boom up flies the hatch and a gnarley blue flame shoots out the back of my boat, when you have about a grand in your boat it will just make you want to puke, a wet esc was what caused it the boat got dunked earlier that day, so if you see moisture on that esc quit playing with your boat and let it sit for a day or so or leave it in the hot sun or something!!!

SJFE
03-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Rich those X-Power units are OPTO and you have to run a tx pack or stand alone BEC :wink:

I know for a fact that a 9xl will pull over 150 amps for a short time before it stops, ran one on 5s lipo with a cf 48 prop in a triton, and with a x442 was 115 amps and loving it .

I too ran my 9XL @ over 100 amps for many runs. I was recently reminded by a very wise man to use caution when advising novice boaters.

We veterans go out in the field and push our equipment armed with many years of collective knowledge. We also know and accept it all may go up in smoke. New guys invest the cash & believe because components are new and all the ratings look good on paper that everything's somewhat bullet proof. When it all goes south is when we loose people. I'm not saying setup opinions should not be expressed I am just trying to stress the importance of taking everything into account before lending advice.
Tom G

Quicksilver
03-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I think everyone needs a buddy if running in a very public area. If you're alone you'll probably run it till it either flips, explodes or sinks. Then again it could even flip, explode and than sink...none of these are any good. Every time I've messed one of my boats up has been from a large crowd gathering or too much pressure for a good video. You really need someone else there to smack you when you act like an idiot.

and then someone from the crowds asks, how much did that cost you? that's when they really get shocked. The smoke blue flames and extreme speed pail in comparison for what we pay. I paid more for my two boats than my real car, but then my real car isnt a very good one.

SJFE
03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
I am not looking foward to the nice weather. I have said this many times in the past. I do not like attention or distractions when I'm in the field. I need a partner to keep people away from me really. I do my PR work here on the forum. I would rather no be distracted when I'm enjoying my models.

calcagno45
03-26-2008, 08:43 PM
ok so this hatch tape, how do I use it? just run a strip on the rectangle of the boat where the hatch sits? is it reusable or do i have to reapply everytime I take the hatch off? and I take it the hatch tape pretty much forms a seal too?

Ok so no one has the Hydra 120 in stock and and Steven doesnt have the Xpower 100 either?

Should I just pick up the Hydra 240? and enjoy the comfort zone?

ace028
03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
ok so this hatch tape, how do I use it? just run a strip on the rectangle of the boat where the hatch sits? is it reusable or do i have to reapply everytime I take the hatch off? and I take it the hatch tape pretty much forms a seal too?

Ok so no one has the Hydra 120 in stock and and Steven doesnt have the Xpower 100 either?

Should I just pick up the Hydra 240? and enjoy the comfort zone?

Yes, just set your hatch in place, and then tape all edges down to seal them all the way around. If you use the kind steve sells here on OSE then you can use it a few times in one day, but other wise you use it every time you take the hatch off.

I think it is up to you to use the 240, you will have more cushion if you prop too aggressively, but its more expensive also.

calcagno45
03-26-2008, 09:15 PM
So the hatch tap is just taping the outside? it also doubles as a latch too?

I think I'll go ahead and get the 240 and pray I dont screw this one up.

I'll be getting the x637 to try out as well.

SJFE- you wouldnt happen to know when Steven will be getting some more Xpower 100's or rolls of hatch tape in???

Rex R
03-27-2008, 03:22 AM
hatch tape a.k.a; radio box tape, shin guard tape(check local sporting goods shops). some folks use vinyl electricians tape. yes quite, dual purpose holds the hatch onto the hull and waterproofs. just remember it doesn't hold/stick to a wet hull(doesn't do well in below 50F weather either)
edit
another factor, new driveline hwd. one should figure at least 3 runs before propping up from your min size.

SJFE
03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
SJFE- you wouldnt happen to know when Steven will be getting some more Xpower 100's or rolls of hatch tape in???

I Unless there is a problem, which I do not believe there is It's never much of a wait.

peells
03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I knew it you weren't using it! buy it from off shore electric (hockey tape) and yes tape off the rectangle all four sides, and it is reusable unless it is all wet but the roll is big enough and it lasts for several runs, also it wont hurt your custom paint jobs, I used to think hatch tape was for sissies but 3 esc's later and a few hundred dollars made a believer out of me, and my hatch is specially designed to keep water out under normal operating conditions (up right) I lost one chasing geese cause my boat is a lot faster than them but that was the last time (size matters geese are bigger) so I do not chase them any more, but get some hatch tape it will keep your stuff dry no boom.

peells
03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
also another note I am using an x438 octura prop and I am really fast (almost to fast for the boat) so you might start there I think it is smaller than the one you are thinking about using, I am using a 540XL 09 and 6s (series saddle pack of 2 -3s's) and I had a 540XL 08 and I thought raising up a wind might slow it down a bit.

SweetAccord
03-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Peells,

"had a 540XL 08"? what was up with that motor? Too fast?