PDA

View Full Version : prop question???

floatn turd
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi,

I am new to all this electric boat stuff.
So here is my question: Should I send my new prop out to a professional guy to have it balanced,sharpened and polished or should I buy the equipment and do it myself?

My boat is a Aquacraft Motley Crew electric boat (all stock & two 7.4v 2s 5300mah lipos) and a GrimRacer metal 42x55.

I just don't know if its better to pay someone or not?

thanks for the help

Mr.Turd

Griff
10-21-2011, 01:01 PM
if you read up enough you can do a pretty good job, but tbh it's an experience thing, the more you do the better you will get, you could mess your prop completely and make it worse if you intend to get a whole stack of props to play with, I would learn to do it yourself, if you are only gonna have a few get them done by an expert.

floatn turd
10-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Thats is exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you sir.
have a good one.

Diesel6401
10-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Note that sharpening and balancing requires patience and proper equipment. If you do not do it correctly you can cause damage to your setup.

If not done correctly the following things are possible:
* Premature and abnormal wear to drive compoenets and bushings
* Performance issues
* Amp spikes due to not fully sharpening blades which could lead to motor/esc issues.

Not trying to deter you by any means. We all have to start somewhere. When I began I ordered a few of the same pros because I new I would mess some up. I have done some good and some just terrible where I had to throw out or send to Chuck to fix for me.

If you do want to do it please PLEASE use proper safety measures. Beryllium copper is so very VERY nasty stuff that can lead to respirtory issues. I used the following saftey measures when I did my own blades (which I no longer do, I rather have Chuck do them for me, especially the Octura blades).

* In the garage, not in my house/leaving area
* Full respirtory mask
* Long sleeves
* Latex gloves
* Saftey glasses
* When finished shop vac the shaving (not sweep as that will stir and make the shaving airborne)
* Shake out the clothes and wash asap then shower

- Seems over the top, but you don't want to take any chances with that stuff.

jcald2000
10-22-2011, 07:01 AM
The shop vac will make the fine dust from sanding airborne even with a drywall sanding filter.
Sand under water in a bucket, it make the sandpaper cut better also.

monojeff
10-22-2011, 01:32 PM
If you are going to use a shop vac they make hepa filters for them I recommend getting one also use a shop vac bag for xtra protection this is what we do when dealing with LEAD dust when doing renovations on homes just as nasty of stuff!

floatn turd
10-22-2011, 07:59 PM
I sent this prop out to be done, but I will try it myself next time

thanks for the info.

iamandrew
10-24-2011, 08:59 PM
the best way to do it, is get wet n dry sand paper, and get some washing up gloves on, and do the sanding in the bucket of water