PDA

View Full Version : MiniMono Esc doing things..........

chirotray
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm having an issue with my esc at wide open. It fluctuates slowly between 75 and 100%. Anyone else have this happen?
Batteries have plenty of ass to them and it's for sure not a low voltage cutoff. Ideas?

jharper
10-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Same with me. Thought the lvc kicked in but no studder. Checked Batt. It's at 11.95. Dunno??? Lemme know if you figure it out and I will do likewiseeeeeeeee

Doby
10-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Ditto here.:blink:

Doby
10-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Just fired off a E-Mail to Hobbico......lets see whats up.

vans552
10-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Is the mini mono worth getting? Is the speed even good? What about the 17 inch off shore warrior brushless?

Grimracer
10-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Hum....

On 3S right?...

The stutter comes in around 9.5 to 10V.. cut off at 9V..

If for any reasion your pack is not got the grunt to hold the voltage above that point its going to stutter. Remember this little hot rod averages around 14amps in a run.. Make sure you have a good pack.

Never the less.. PLEASE keep us posted guys..

Our buds at OSE have always been willing to hunt down issues that might crop up.

Thanks

Grimracer

Doby
10-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Mike:

I'm running 2200 Mah packs rated at 20C (I use them in my 23" sniper as well). Packs are new this season. (Had to do a bit of trimming of the hatch edges to make them fit):smile:

Grimracer
10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey dude..

I have no idea what might be going on.. do you have an Eagle Tree? Can you run it with that and get some numbers for me?

If not thats OK.. but I have a TON of eagle tree data and so far have not had that happen. Would be good to compair notes.

Rocket and ROLL!

Grim

Doby
10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi Mike...sorry, no Eagle Tree unfortunatley.

Ran 3 packs through it and all did the same thing..

On the plus side, the thing handles well and only once got airborne going in to a 40 Mph wind!

So how come you guys can't design a boat that won't flip going full speed into a 40 Mph headwind......

chirotray
10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
If this is the low voltage cut off, it's not like any one i've ever dealt with. Its a very slow fluctuation, probably 2-4 second intervals. Mine starts doing it immediately. The motor spools up to a good rpm during the initial cavitation, but as soon as it hooks up it starts doing it.

Grimracer
10-19-2011, 08:45 AM
chriotray,

That power cycling is the low voltage warning system. not the cut off.. When the ESC cuts off the boat stops will not work again untill you unplug the power and plug in a new battery. The goal is to give you plenty of time to get the boat to shore before it shuts down.

Doby.. lol.. the boat is a HOOT IN THE WIND!

Grim

chirotray
10-19-2011, 10:23 AM
chriotray,

That power cycling is the low voltage warning system. not the cut off.. When the ESC cuts off the boat stops will not work again untill you unplug the power and plug in a new battery. The goal is to give you plenty of time to get the boat to shore before it shuts down.

Grim

Fair enough on the warning thing, but if this is the case, the sensors are set at too high of a voltage because it's kicking in immediately on every battery I have. What's the fix? It reminds me of the black jack, people were bringing them back to the store left and right bc the initial factory setting was nimh with a high voltage cutoff option, so you'd charge your packs and as soon as you put a load on it, the cutoff would kick in, but this was an easy fix with the program card. So what do we do with this esc? I'm hoping this is just a "bad" batch.

Grimracer
10-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Fair enough on the warning thing, but if this is the case, the sensors are set at too high of a voltage because it's kicking in immediately on every battery I have. What's the fix? It reminds me of the black jack, people were bringing them back to the store left and right bc the initial factory setting was nimh with a high voltage cutoff option, so you'd charge your packs and as soon as you put a load on it, the cutoff would kick in, but this was an easy fix with the program card. So what do we do with this esc? I'm hoping this is just a "bad" batch.

Ch,

Numbers are 10V to 9.5V to stutter.. and 9V to cut off.. Totally sounds like its not your fault "IF" you battery are up to the task.. (im sure they are). Without a data recording outfit like the Eagle Tree system we can speculate all day.. Best thing to do is contact Hobby Services (we put that in place just for emergency’s like this). They can help..

And the good deal with this is I know the people at HS quite well.. when a controller like this comes in I can get it and test it too.
Grim

Darin Jordan
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Brian had one of these monos at the SAWs this past weekend... darn thing was ripping all over the place!! Looked like a ton of fun! I'm thinking pool-racing series! ;)

chirotray
10-20-2011, 11:05 AM
@Grim- I'll send it in, I can't wait to get it running legit. It's a helluva lot better boat than any mini rio out there. Handles like a baby delta force.

Grimracer
10-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Dude,

Put a note on it saying "Send to Grimracer"..

Thanks

grim

Doby
10-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Yo Mikey:

The lovely Lisa has offered to send me a new controller....assuming the ponds up here don't freeze and I get a chance to try the new controller, I'll send the old one to you to tinker with as well.

chirotray
10-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Yo Mikey:

The lovely Lisa has offered to send me a new controller....assuming the ponds up here don't freeze and I get a chance to try the new controller, I'll send the old one to you to tinker with as well.

I just got off the phone with Adam at hobby services. I told him what was up and that Grim was aware of the issues some of us were having. He was like I don't know what you're talking about and nobody up here knows what you're talking about. We've had no issues whatsoever come through this office, If you want to send it in we'll look at it. Thanks.
Guess I'll send it in and wait.

chirotray
10-21-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm kinda pissed. That was not my typical experience with customer service there. Guess I shouldn't have called on a Friday.

vette66_00
10-27-2011, 05:01 AM
New here but 25+ years in RC.
Purchased 2 of these Minimono boats. First I want to say awesome boats fast for a 17" boat stock. We had one of our boats do the above 75-100% with full charge. 3rd battery it released the magic smoke. Nasty smelling little bugger also. I simply checked all the gear to make sure it worked, servos, battery and motor. Called Tower (in my case) customer service took care of it and I will have a new esc hopefully by Friday. Kinda a bummer to have it smoke so soon but it happens hopefully not again though. Hobbypartz has the 1300mah 3s on sale for $7 if anybody cares we got 8 for the 2 boats should keep us busy. The running boat has now had about 15 packs through it.

Little video of same day of the remaining boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnn1dZrDDn8

Skeeno
10-28-2011, 01:25 AM
I was really looking forward to getting one of these, but I think I'll wait for the next batch and hope some of these bugs get worked out.

Crawler Ted
11-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Im about ten packs or so with mine ,Problem fre so far .
Im using 900-1300 3s 35-45c .

Pretty fun little boat .
I run it while letting the other boat cool .

Skeeno
12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
I was really looking forward to getting one of these, but I think I'll wait for the next batch and hope some of these bugs get worked out.
Well, I couldn't help myself. My LHS had a little Black Friday sale. I was out the door with my Minimono for $130. Hopefully, she works well. It probably won't see water until after winter.

RAMROD5
06-16-2012, 01:02 AM
i guess ill be getting in contact with aquacraft services myself as well, my brand new minimono on its maiden voyage had its ESC explode out the side, causing a small fire, the inside of the boat is all smoke damaged, the motor mount is burnt looking, the top of the hull above the esc deformed from the explosion.....worst part was everything was nice and cool when i retrieved it, even the other side of the esc that did not explode, this sucks, i was so happy with the way the boat was performing for the first 5 minutes then it literally just went POP. dead in the water.....

RCnerd
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
My Son's ESC was doing the same thing as you guys described. I just called and they are sending me a new one - No questions asked. So far I have been really happy with the customer service.

RAMROD5
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
i sent my boat back after the explosion, i got a brand new one back a little over a week later, i was happy to see the new boat had a water cooled 20amp esc, the old did not, i was un happy to see the new boat arrive with a broken prop, oh well, ill run her this weekend and see what shes got.