PDA

View Full Version : Yet another MM nitro to fe convertion.

TRUNKMUNKY
03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Few pics of the conversion,9xl,hydra 120 4s lipo,642 prop.Thanks again to all who posted great info on thier Mean machine builds, and Steve here at offshore, it really helped.! This was a old water logged hull I picked up from aeromarine for 50 bucks! Few picks:

Ocean Racer
03-28-2008, 09:31 PM
So how did it peform on the water

TRUNKMUNKY
03-29-2008, 02:02 AM
The handling is fantastic ,and will rip off turns even in small chop.The speed is not there yet,probably high 30's .I guess the 2 3s packs will get me there when they come in.CG seems to be a little wet at about 9.2,strut is set at about 1/4 above the sponsons. using a 642 prop, batts get a little too warm at about 120.Still playing with the props,probably need a 442 or 440 .Got a 12xl on the way to swap out the 9xl to run with my 2 2s packs as the amp draw seems too much with the 9xl on those packs.Any setup tips would be appreaciated.I have never owned a mm before this one, but I can say that this hull is one VERY GOOD handling cat ! Still playing with the setup though.:bounce:

Fluid
03-29-2008, 01:53 PM
My MM is currently set up a lot like yours, a Hacker 9XL, 4S/4500s, Hydra 120, x645 prop. I had the GPS in it at the last one mile heat on that 1/6th mile oval and recorded a top speed of 46 mph. The boat can go a lot faster with a different motor and prop, but it is a very nice sport/racer with this setup. No need to go faster than you need to go to win.

Part of your speed problem is your packs - they are too cold! I start mine at 100F minimum and they get to 125 or 130 after a one mile heat. That is not too hot for quality cells. LiPos should not be run under 70F as they risk damage, and the hotter they are the faster the boat will run. Just don't get them much over 140F.

;

TRUNKMUNKY
03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the tips.Still haven't played with the hydra settings yet,is there a
"best"setup for that esc with what I run?:

Fluid
03-30-2008, 12:35 AM
The timing advance depends on the use and the motor you are running. For the 9XL you are best off with the "Normal" 2- timing, although if things get too hot then the "Low" 1- setting would be best. For general running you will see no speed advantage using more advance than the "Normal" setting.

TRUNKMUNKY
03-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Seems the "normal" setting did heat things up ALOT.
Finally got a chance to run on diff settings on the hydra and the low setting had things warm,but not hot like the normal setting would.Lowered the strut down to 1/16th above the sponsons and picked up more speed.Seems like it may have been too high.Few more adjustments to try and should be getting closer to fast and safe to run=more fun.Thanks again Fluid for the input.:bounce: