PDA

View Full Version : Strakes for Finch Wildthing .21 monohull?

Andris Golts
10-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi all im in the process of converting my John Finch 32'' .21 nitro Wildthing monohull to BL/LIPO power i have all the paint removed and pondering the idea if strakes should be added to the bottom of the hull as the original plans did not show any strakes at the time of construction 6 years ago i did install a spray rail on port and starboard chines.My intentions with this bl conversion are end up evtually with Nue motor on 4s or 6s. Would strakes be a good addition to hull bottom? If so how many and where should they start and where should they terminate? Regards Andris Golts.

Fluid
10-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Probably not a good idea. A boat that size on 6S will be very fast, and strakes will increase the lift and make the boat quite flighty. An example is an Aeromarine Scorpion mono a club member built. The boat mould had strakes originally, but he had Aeromarine remove them on his hull. The boat runs awesomely without strakes, and it turns well too. KISS.

siberianhusky
10-12-2011, 07:31 PM
There is one running 6s here. Not quite dialed in yet, but it has more than enough lift on the straights. As of last weekend it was still running wet in the turns, it was only it's third time out, he was testing props mostly.