PDA

View Full Version : Motley Crew

Rok Krawl
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Howdy all, found this site and forums looking for a boat. After trying to decide if I wanted a proboat mystic or aqucraft motley crew, I went with the motley. Got to see each boat at the hobby shop and the hull design and look won it over for me, along with doing some reading on here.

I worked at hobby shop several years ago, but was more into the racing and flying scene. And brushless technology was yet to hit the market at the time. But now seems that brushless is giving nitro a run for its money.

I thought about building my own boat and selecting what components I wanted as I do with rc cars , but so many diffrent makers of products and so many mixed reviews I am not sure what will last and what will burn up.

Almost bought a Venom KOS but reading about hull integrity and other issues I looked elsewhere.

So for those of you that own a motley, how do they hold up? I already plan on ordering new shaft from OSE along with the grim prop. And use the 5.5mm bullet connectors. Going to run on 4s 50c lipo 5200mah packs.

So for those of you who have upgraded electrics, what is the norm of ESC / motor combo that picks up the speed?
Also how would I go about strippin the hull down and painting it? Certain paints? etc etc...
Thanks for all input

Nick

Doby
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/forumdisplay.php?64-**New**-AquaCraft-Motley-Crew-Brushless-Q-amp-A

siberianhusky
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Don't try to go much faster than it can go with a prop change! Unless you really enjoy doing repairs to the hull. AT anything above about 50mph the hull cannot stand up to the impact of a crash. Check out the Motley Crew forum on here and read what all of us who have tried pushing this hull have had happen. Mine is back to a stock set up.
It's really too bad the hull is such cheap quality, the design is top notch and can handle more speed, especially if you fix the problems with the sponson bottoms, the hardware and electronics are really good for a RTR boat.
I really enjoy mine running against other spec powered boats, the quest for speed was pretty costly as the hull is now really beat up.
It's a great boat if you enjoy it for what it is. If you want to go fast I'd strongly suggest building a boat from a better quality aftermarket hull.
The new Delta Force cat would be a great option by all the first accounts of this new hull.

Rok Krawl
10-13-2011, 04:20 AM
thanks for the input. Well guess RTR cars are just like RTR boats. Some good some bad. Some need our attention to detail before the first run.

Yeah I would love to build a boat. But new to boating world. So many hulls / escs / and motors out there so I don't know exactly what will to look for, and what to avoid. Maybe instead of pickin up the motley and making a speeder out of it, I could get some pointers on some good components and build up a speed rig with quality hull. I do know that I want a Cat hull.

Hobby shop I was going to pick it up from tomrrow sold it to another person. After realizing they goofed up they called me and said sorry, but backordered now til dec.
So maybe I will spend money on a hull/ hardware setup with some good quality electrics.
Nick

xlandguy
06-23-2012, 08:08 AM
I have had my MC for several months now. At first, I almost wished I hadn't bought it, but once I got the "bugs" worked out and listened to the good folks on this forum, I love this boat. It is my first, although I have since picked up another. After doing extensive reading on these and other forums I have come to the conclusion that this is probably THE best boat for a newcomer looking for a fast, fun time. Handles like a dream, have yet to flip it. "on rails" is a common term and maybe overused, but what other way to describe this boat. I don't know what it's like to drive a boat at 80mph, but this boat seems very fast. Everyone who see's it is highly impressed.

Rok Krawl
07-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Well I believe for one it has a mean killer look when sitting in the water. Graphics for an RTR are decent, and not to the extreme. What bugs did you encounter? I met with some guys locally and was able to try a few props out before buying my own to get the max output from the boat. Also there is a forum on here of someone going thru the boat in very fine detail. I say mine is quick and stable in the water. Only flipped one time. I did try to jump some small wakes behind my buddies jon boat, but it just dug into the water like a submarine. I just wish it had longer run times.
I run two 5000mah in series, or two 14.8V 5000mah packs in parallel for a bit more run time. Cant tell difference really from having heavier batt packs. I just wish there was a quicker way to change out packs and seal on the top hatch. But when it flips, and me for instance, cutting into water like a sub, having tape on the seams keeps everything dry.

I dont know what my next boat will be. I like speed and something to keep me on my toes. Almost thought of an outrigger. Or building up a gasser cat which will cost me about 1,500.
Elec is nice if your like me and have a pond in neighborhood to run at. No one is bothered by the noise like gassers.