PDA

View Full Version : New Turnigy 120a Marine esc?!

midnightsabotage
10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
This was just added to the Hobbyking site last night:

Turnigy Aquastar 120A Watercooled ESC w/Programming Card
$73.52
$69.56 for platinum members. - or if you wait around on the product page you'll probably get a link for the lower price too.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18986

Thoughts, comments?
Is this an all-new design as far as anyone knows, or is it a rebranded unit that I don't recognize?

I like that it comes with the programming card :)
-Jeff

Make-a-Wake
10-12-2011, 12:11 AM
I think they are Hifei...................people have had fits with the aquastar line trying to program them..................the 49 dollar turnigy 120a is so simple and they are nearly bulletproof.

jkr
10-12-2011, 12:37 AM
It is a skyrc and it has so many useless features unles if you put some wheels:rofl:
http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_38&product_id=111

properchopper
10-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Looks like it could be a winner. May have to give one a try, although like MaW says, my T-120 (which I got for $44) is doing just fine (although one gave up after getting wet).

norbique
10-14-2011, 08:09 AM
The "new" aquastar 120A is sold for more bucks than the Marine 120A. don't know why. Can't see the reason looking at the specifications....
The Marine (AKA HobbyWing Seaking 120A) has more motor timing features as well. and less $$.

Make-a-Wake
10-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Personally i would never try one of the 120 Aquastars..................as i mentioned, i have seen so many threads/posts from folks trying to figure out how to use it. I do however use the Big Aquastar 240hv, but its been very simple to use, maybe it has different setting parameters than the 120's. The T120 marine at only $49 is my favorite ESC.......must have a half dozen or so....................i can program them in the field with the tx from memory now if i need to..............ya know, Beep, beep, beep........pull trigger etc..............

norbique
10-14-2011, 09:52 AM
i'm more lazy, I bought a programming card.... :) and I agree the T120 and T180 ESCs are very good.

ray schrauwen
10-14-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a program box for the Original Aquastar 120, 240 from HK and it programs perfectly. It also recognises the 200 Swordfish I bought from Steve. Those are all Hifei esc. They are as bulletproof as the T120's if you add some extra waterproofing.

What programming issues do people have?? The manual states that TX programming isn't reccomended.

This new esc seems to be a bit of an extra fad ish type. Might be great but if it gets wet, there is no shrink you can remove!!

Alexgar
10-14-2011, 07:24 PM
I love my aquastar 120 and I prgm it with my tx a litte patience goes a long way . This thing has been dunked and still works and on a cc1512 doesn't even break a sweat <90 degrees . I'll probably order one of the new ones in the next couple weeks to put in my 5s bby ovalmaster 21 as my ss60 I water-cooled / proofed burnt up on the 3rd run 15$ escs don't last long go figure

Shooter
10-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I like the layout, kind of like the Ul-1 ESC. If it's anything like the T-180's, I'm sure it will be solid. All of mine are still running strong. No issues (and I use the BEC!)

Make-a-Wake
10-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I have a program box for the Original Aquastar 120, 240 from HK and it programs perfectly. It also recognises the 200 Swordfish I bought from Steve. Those are all Hifei esc. They are as bulletproof as the T120's if you add some extra waterproofing.

What programming issues do people have?? The manual states that TX programming isn't reccomended.

This new esc seems to be a bit of an extra fad ish type. Might be great but if it gets wet, there is no shrink you can remove!!

All kinds:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?14396-Programming-aquastar-120-a-esc&highlight=Aquastar+esc

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214040&highlight=aquastar+120a

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445128&highlight=aquastar+120a

and:

"I've had nothing but trouble trying to calibrate to TX( Spektrum, Futaba, or Tactic.) Been trying different things for about 3 weeks. Finally Futaba kinda worked, but then run a couple sec and cut-off. Tried to reprogram with no luck at all. Waiting on reply from HK."

"I gave 1 crown only because don't know how to click to place zero. It is not for sale, I don't need it even free of charge... completely trash!"

"peice of crap usb linker didnt work .speedcontrol smoked out firstrun on 4s with a mega acn 22/20/2"

"Got the ESC, programmed it(good, it's not the first 1 I programmed), pushed the throttle(not even in the water) and smoke came out of it. Sent it back. HK said they received it and sent it to their supplier and waiting for an answer, for over 4 months!!!!!!!! Absolutely the worst service on this planet. The service really sucks!!! My advice: Don't buy."

"Just like reports made in some of the other reviews, this controller crapped out after two minutes running the Genesis on 4S. Ruined the day as it was dead as a door nail. One day later it started to work again on the test bench."

etc........

CornelP
10-15-2011, 01:17 AM
The end user price from SkyRc is 60$, just asked them about it... I might get one to test just for the bling effect. :D

monojeff
10-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Looks like it could be a winner. May have to give one a try, although like MaW says, my T-120 (which I got for $44) is doing just fine (although one gave up after getting wet).

Really?
Thats not a good thing.
I am wondering then if I should spray mine down with some corosion X just as xtra safety then????

properchopper
12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I had Stephen throw this on a HK order; just arrived. Seems more "water resistant" than the earlier T-120. Encased in plastic like the T-180, but my experience with wet T-180's indicates that some sealant should be employed to provide extra insurance. Also, no choke on the trigger wire like T-180's.

Nifty programming card included in price. Has eight programming options, only 5 can be done with program card - reverse type,motor direction and reverse amount are defaulted to forward only, normal direction, and 25% reverse. Re-programming these options to be accomplished with tx trigger, beep counting, waiting, counting more beeps, cursing, trying again method.

Program card functions :

Punch Control ( a concept likely borrowed from the design engineer's Marital Anger Management class) : controls acceleration in five steps;
from very limited acceleration ( no more backflips from start ? ) to no limiting

Starting Power : 3 steps; Low-any battery type ; normal -high capacity batteries ; high - "you need top quality batteries"

Throttle Dead Band : ( their music wasn't all THAT bad, really ) : 5 steps

LVC : 3.0 , 3.1 , 3.2 , 3.3 , 3.4 , 3.5 ( the Auto Lipo choice includes "none" which should disarm the LVC)

timing : 0, 5, 10, 15, 20 degrees

Will be interesting to see if the LVC kicks in prematurely from instantaneous downspikes rather than average voltage downturn, a big flaw in the T-180 circuit design. Then again if the unit is programmed for limited acceleration and low starting power, downspikes may not be all that prevelant and the LVC can be programmed as you wish.

pictured with an AQ 1800 for size comparison.

64981 64982

Should have a field test report in a week or so :noidea: