PDA

View Full Version : Teflon or not to Teflon (which is better)

sigelitest
10-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I know there is some conversation on the subject but I would like to know which is better and which will last longer I have tried both ways and I don’t see much of a difference.
Anyone ever melted the Teflon liner in the tube?

driftah
10-10-2011, 11:06 PM
I just switched to no liner and love it.plus no worries of melted teflon etc. a good grease then go imo.just make sure to use the right size brass

m4a1usr
10-11-2011, 01:26 AM
I dont think there is a 100% definitive answer to the question. Lots of folks operate drive setups with both and function perfectly. All but one of my builds use a liner. I have never burnt or melted a liner. I use them without worry. Doesnt mean I am right. I would not want to use them if I had experienced a problem. It just means I am not operating them in a range or design where the weak link is the liner. Shape, loading and maintenance all contribute to how efficient a flex shaft spins in a stuffing tube. With a liner there is another consideration. Reduced friction. If your drive line does not spin freely or has compound bends I would not recommend a liner. In a very high horsepower setup. I would not recommend a liner. Does that make me right? Probably not. As has been stated before, a stuffing tube without a liner will not have one to melt. So its a simpler setup. On the other hand a liner acts like a secondary lubricant, teflon is known for its lubricity, so you choose. Just my 2 cents.

John

Alfa Spirit
10-11-2011, 02:40 AM
If the brass tube is straight it' s not necessary to use a teflon limer. Same if your boat is made for ''saw'' 45000 RPM

Fluid
10-11-2011, 07:25 AM
John pretty much nailed it. I haven't used one in years (other than RTRs) but others do with no problem. But let me clear up some misconceptions.

- The stuffing tube does not need to be "straight". All of my builds use either a "J" or "S" bend and they work great.
- You do not need to use "grease". I use synthetic gear oil (70W with EP additive) and have yet to wear out either a cable or a brass liner.
- The tubing should not be a tight fit - I use 1/4" OD brass tubing for 3/16" cable - but not too large either; don't just pull the Teflon liner and stick in the flex cable, replace the tubing with the correct size.
- You still have to lube the cable even with the liner. Grease or oil, either works.
- Teflon can be used at extreme speeds (over 40,000 rpm). There is more risk of melting the Teflon, but SAW records have been set with liners.
- You do not have to ditch the Teflon liner. If you like it and are not having problems, then keep it.

sigelitest
10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
The reason this came up was because I got a setup from OSE for a hull and it was made to go with out Teflon. Since I have always used it in the past I was wondering if there was a difference and if I would notice. Didn’t want to start drilling holes till I decided.

siberianhusky
10-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I personally have never used teflon since people began using flex cable back in the 80's, I've never had a wear related failure. I just figure if it's worked fine for this long why introduce another piece into the drive line that doesn't really need to be there. It can't fail if it's not in the vehicle or K.I.S.S are my two mottos for anything I race.