PDA

View Full Version : busting flex's

Griff
10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
well, have now busted three flex's the standard one, lasted about 10 runs, and two hyperformance upgrades, these lasted about 5 mins each all three have snapped about 3/4 of the way up the flex shaft I have done all the mods to the outboard as per Darins thread, have a look at this vid of the stub shaft it has a load of play in it, I think this could be the problem, :Praying:what do you think?
I will order the upgrade from OSE only problem for me is I have have this stuff shipped to the UK from you guys and it takes a time, winters coming I may not get any more runs in this year, bummer,

http://youtu.be/yZchkF5p4PY
Tom

ibo24
10-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Hi,thanks for the reply(stub pin)

My stock flex bust on the first run,so I got some from the OSE and paid for express mail they were here within 5 days,I have had a couple of runs with the upgrades useing the teflon stock tube no prob yet,however I found the upgrade one a tad wider,I have since made the oiler as per Darins thread but find the new flex,s are a snug fit and being a big beleiver in metal rubbing on metal is not good,so I am sticking to the the teflon tube for now.I have ordered a set of 4 flexs from a guy on this forum (KRIS FLYNN)who comes highly recommended.
When your prop is on you dont have that much play do you..

My stock flex snapped about about 4mm from the top end...

ibo24
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Come across this site at my local boat club if any use to you for your flexy shafts here in the UK...

http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=110

Griff
10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
thanks ibo :thumbup1:

CHIEFY_44
10-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Griff I beleive the slop in ur drive is the problem mine went the same way after about 5 runs, I just teplaced it with the hyperformance one no more problem's also I did the brass stuffing tube and removed the teflon tube this made things run more freely, just remember to oil/grease the flex shaft regularly as well as the drive then there should be no more problems, another thing to check is the amount of freeplay on the flex shaft, also check where the shaft comes through to both the motor collett and the drive shaft darin reconmends you open the holes up to give some wiggle room. Hope this helps.

CHIEFY_44
10-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Oh and make sure you have the flex in the right way round if its wrong it tries to open up instead of tightening, I know thats basic stuff but its been known to happen with similar results

Griff
10-21-2011, 09:38 AM
thanks chiefy

Tom

getemuphigh
11-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh and make sure you have the flex in the right way round if its wrong it tries to open up instead of tightening, I know thats basic stuff but its been known to happen with similar results

Hi,
New to this forum so hi to all!
I am in the UK too.
Just got my new Stiletto 29 running and it is still 100% stock but took the flex shaft out to make sure it was greased but did not notice / check if there was any way it should go back in so how do you tell?
Also after just running for a very short time the prop tightened up, this was test running on the bench not in the water and only for 20 to 30 seconds.
I have seen the small 2 side grease holes in the outer brass bush and put grease and oil in to try and free off and is better but the inner steel shaft is still quite tight so the prop is hard to turn?
This is hard to turn even when removed from the outboard.
When I first checked it when as new it was nice and free and only the motor could be felt turning.
Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks.

Kris Flynn
11-30-2011, 08:19 PM
What Chiefy said was funny! It is so not true!

A flex shaft can go in either way.

IF you were running twins and had counter rotating props (and reverse wind cables) you could screw up and put the wrong flex in the wrong lower unit.