PDA

View Full Version : Building up/Reparing Props??

Darin Jordan
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I have several props that have had the blade tips break off or bend or otherwise fail to the point where the prop is no longer usable without severe cutting down of the diameter. All Octura BeCu material.

Is there a method of building these back up again so I could salvage them for use?? They are pretty thin, so I'm not sure if they'd stand up to brazing, etc... Is there something that can be used to build them up and allow them to be re-worked back into shape??

I've had to scrap two props this week because of this, and that's a LOT of working time down the drain. Would be nice to have a method to repair.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

detox
10-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Were these props heat treated anykind of way before they were ran. I know thin is good but maybe too thin is bad.

Darin Jordan
10-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Were these props heat treated anykind of way before they were ran. I know thin is good but maybe too thin is bad.

They were on their way to getting prepped... One slipped out of my hand and the other got hit and bent the tip... I hadn't had a chance to heat-treat them yet...

I've considered trying to braze them or silver solder, but I'm not sure they'll hold up to that kind of heating...

Boaterguy
10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
They were on their way to getting prepped... One slipped out of my hand and the other got hit and bent the tip... I hadn't had a chance to heat-treat them yet...

I've considered trying to braze them or silver solder, but I'm not sure they'll hold up to that kind of heating...
Do you mean coat the blades in solder? that might be a neat idea, soft so a little easier to balance and the solder can be melted again if any damage is done.