PDA

View Full Version : Leopard motor disassembly

BBQSteve
10-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I know this sounds stupid and may seem obvios to some, but how do you remove the endbells on a Leopard electric motor? More exactly, a Leopard 3650 3900KV 4 pole motor. I removed the three screws at the one endbell, but nothing budges. I even tapped slighhtly on the shaft and no movement. There is almost no edge to grab and nothing moves. The wires are too short and I want to replace them.

Thanks.

BBQSteve

m4a1usr
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Dont do it inside the can. Extensions are better made outside the can. You can use a small section of K&S brass tubing as your butt splice. Then cover with heat shrink.

John

BBQSteve
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks, that is sort of what I have done, but sooner or later I am going to have to open it up to replace bearings.61965

m4a1usr
10-10-2011, 01:40 PM
The wire side of the end bell can be removed with a bit of help from the rotor pushing against it. The CC/Neu's, Leopards and others with the wires exiting out the side seem to have had the rear end bell attached in an assembly stage were some inner glue is/was still wet. It sticks to the inside of the end bell making it hard to release. The trick is after you remove the screws to tap the front motor shaft on a piece of wood. Hold the motor in your hand and using a small chunk of wood layed on a hard surface, tap the shaft on the wood to force rearward the end plate. It only takes a couple solid taps and the end plate will come off. After doing this you will need to replace the bearings.

John

BBQSteve
10-10-2011, 03:49 PM
John,

Been there done that, no dice. Contemplating freezer.

BBQSteve

Big Lebowski
09-25-2012, 10:25 PM
The wire side of the end bell can be removed with a bit of help from the rotor pushing against it. The CC/Neu's, Leopards and others with the wires exiting out the side seem to have had the rear end bell attached in an assembly stage were some inner glue is/was still wet. It sticks to the inside of the end bell making it hard to release. The trick is after you remove the screws to tap the front motor shaft on a piece of wood. Hold the motor in your hand and using a small chunk of wood layed on a hard surface, tap the shaft on the wood to force rearward the end plate. It only takes a couple solid taps and the end plate will come off. After doing this you will need to replace the bearings.

John Hi i was wondering after popping off the end plates. How do you get the bearings out? Having a hard time. Thanks