PDA

View Full Version : LIFE SUCKS! Not a boat thread

Steven Vaccaro
04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
We just found out today that my moms best friend has less than a year to live. She is like a aunt to me. And been around our family since I was a baby! At 61 years old, the scary part is she looks like she should have another 30 years left in her. She's in perfect out side shape.

My mom and dad planned on semi retiring this year to travel with her and her husband in there RVs across the country. This will obviously be out of the question now.

Its a sad day for our family.

In the end I'm writing this to say that we all should enjoy life while we have it and spend quality time with the people we love because the rug can be pulled out from underneath us at any time!

ice329
04-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear that.

I say it all the time. You only live once.
Dont waste time on trivial things, do things now while you feel good, retire at 40 if you can, buy that boat, go on that trip. There are no dress rehursals this is it.

properchopper
04-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear that Steven. My sympathies. At my age [I'm 62] it makes me feel gratefull that I found FE boating to fill my golden years with joy, and that you and the OSE crowd are part of that.

sjslhill
04-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Sorry Steven......

I was awaken on Easter Sunday when my Dad collapsed at mass. Dad is 78 and we thought that was it for him. Turns out it was blood pressure medicine, but the thought of he won't be around forever is very vivid and clear now. I also have two great aunts that are doing poorly in a rest home. Time moves on, we get older and watch people that we love, die around us.

Trent Hare comes to mind as well. Long live Trent Hare's love for R/C

Drunken Pirate
04-26-2007, 11:46 AM
cheers Steven, and here is to your mom's friend. I pray that the rest of her time here is filled with happiness, family and friends. Celebrate life with her while you still have the chance.

avengersteve
04-26-2007, 12:12 PM
sorry to hear the news, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.. on a side note, screw the doctors, if she looks like she has a lot left then she does. only god truly knows.

saleens7
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
thats sad to hear, i hope she enjoys life to the fullest while she can...but like avengersteve said, only god truly knows....

lferguson
04-26-2007, 12:24 PM
That is some crappy news. Sorry to hear that Steven. Althought we know there is a time for everyone, some times it seems to come too soon.

Doug Smock
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry Steven. May god bless all of you.

Doug

Doby
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Sorry to hear that Steve:( ;

All the best to your family and like Avengersteve said above , Doctors don't always know everything.

My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 91, the doctors told her she should be treated. Being the tough old bird that she was , she said that at her age , she's bound to die of something eventually and refused the treatment. 9 years later she finally passed away from old age, no cancer was ever found again in that 9 years. That was about 5 years ago, still miss her today.

Hey , you never know :)

Steven Vaccaro
04-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for everyones support, its a big help.

My mom just spoke to her and she seems very upbeat. Thats making us all feel better. She's a strong willed Italian. She's strong enough to bet the odds.

hammertime
04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
i fell for ya man...... my prayers are with you and your family..... im goin through a tough time as well....my dad is a police officer and a guy that watched me grow up has cancer....they gave him1 or 2 more days..... he fell at work and couldnt breath and looked at my dad on the strecher and said i guess today is the day i leave....my dad lost it and so did i when he told me that.....remember that life is a gift and the people around you will help you through it at tough times.....us fe guys will always be there

SweetZ28
04-26-2007, 03:19 PM
:( Sorry about the bad news Steve.... She has to just think positive who knows the doctors could be wrong only God knows for sure when your time is ready.

ReddyWatts
04-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad news. I kinda know what you are feeling. My favorite aunt and uncle both retired at the same time to travel the world, then she died unexpectently in that same year. You plan, work and save your whole life for retirement and then in an instant it can be gone.

SJFE
04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Steven, Sorry to hear the bad news. We extend our sympathies and will keep you and your family in our thoughts. Keep in mind death is only the end of suffering. But is also the beginning of eternal rest & peace. I take comfort in that. I hope you and yours can too.

sjslhill
04-26-2007, 08:04 PM
You plan, work and save your whole life for retirement and then in an instant it can be gone.

Boy that's the truth! :(

Piranha2
04-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Steven, our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. The only advice I have is spend time with her. Try to make her as happy and comfortable as you can. God bless.

Skunk Works
04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Steve, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sadness hits all of us at some point in time and forces us to reflect on life.

I lost my mom about a year ago to an unknown illness, all of the sudden, 64 and one day gone. Hit me hard as I have a great family with 2 kids. Makes you think a lot about what you are doing.

It was this tough loss / event in my life that made me realize three things:

1. Nothing is more important than family, having fun and enjoying each other as you navigate through this thing called "life".

2. Time is worth much more than $$, especially now that my oldest son is almost six and likes hockey and baseball. THIS is the #1 reason why I started putting more time into "Skunk Works" and to make a go at the hobby business. I enjoy it, have a passion for it and it will provide me more time with family. Right now its a balance act, got to pay the bills, so I am in the corporate world for the short term.

3. Follow your dreams and go for it. Life is shorter than you think.

Scott