PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion - charging 2 X 2S packs ?

G Doggett
03-22-2008, 03:05 AM
I am looking to buy a Hyperion 606i to charge lipos.
I know it can charge and balance a 4S pack, but is it capable of charging two 2S packs connected in series and balance them in this configuration ?
That is, can the balance system read them as 4 cells ?
Graham.

Darin Jordan
03-22-2008, 06:15 AM
First... make sure that both packs are of similiar condition and charged or discharged (I'd do charged) to the same level before connecting together.

Second, make yourself a balancer adapter like the one shown here:

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Two_2S_as_4S_Adapter.jpg

You can get the parts from CheapBatteryPacks.com (http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com).

Third, plug everything in as you normally would for a 4S pack and set your charger appropriately, making DARN SURE to plug the balancer adapter in EXACTLY as shown, with the red wire'd tap lead connected to the 2S pack supplying the Positive lead for your system... Otherwise BAD things will happen... (NOTE: When I made my adapters, I put one of the black wires that I had taken out of the 5-pin lead in the location where the red wire currently is shown for the right-hand plug, just to avoid any confusion... the wires just release from the connector with a small screwdriver or pin...)

Then charge away as you would any other 4S pack...

Hope this helps...

G Doggett
03-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info Darin.
The packs will most likely be Thunder Power SVX from Andrew at Fast Electrics, but I presume the wiring configuration is the same.
I will make up a wiring harness as per your plan, but do any manufacturers have a ready made harness ?
I'm sure many guys would want to charge pairs in series with the balancer operating.
A single 4S pack is the way to go for simplicity, but in some set ups 2 X 2S is all that will fit.
Graham.

Darin Jordan
03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the info Darin.
The packs will most likely be Thunder Power SVX from Andrew at Fast Electrics, but I presume the wiring configuration is the same.
I will make up a wiring harness as per your plan, but do any manufacturers have a ready made harness ?
I'm sure many guys would want to charge pairs in series with the balancer operating.
A single 4S pack is the way to go for simplicity, but in some set ups 2 X 2S is all that will fit.
Graham.

Graham... I wouldn't assume that the TP packs have the same tap arrangement... You'll have to consult their diagrams and work that out... I don't know of anyone that sells a ready-made hardness like this... but it would be nice... My 1/10th scale and my smaller P-Mono hull both need to run saddled and series'd 2S packs to fit... The other option is to just charge them separately , but this takes a lot of time...

G Doggett
03-24-2008, 12:38 AM
I have just checked the specs of the Hyperion 606i and discovered that the max charge current is only 50 watts.
Acording to my calculations this would mean if charging a 4S pack it would only produce about 3 amps max.
I am planning to use 5000 mah packs so this unit does not cut it.
Graham.

Darin Jordan
03-24-2008, 07:21 AM
I have just checked the specs of the Hyperion 606i and discovered that the max charge current is only 50 watts.
Acording to my calculations this would mean if charging a 4S pack it would only produce about 3 amps max.
Graham.

Consider spending the additional $30.00 and get the Hyperion 610i instead... it's rated at 250watts... I use the Duo 610i and they work wonderfully...

SJFE
03-24-2008, 09:16 AM

Graham my 606I has been charging my 2s-1p 5000 PQ packs now for 4 months. They are always completelty topped off and don't take an excess amout of time to charge. My advice regardless of how well my unit works is to buy the duo if you have the money. Had it been avalable I would have cut the number of packs I bought in order to pick it up.

G Doggett
03-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Looks like I would be best to dig deep and go for the Hyperion Duo.
I am planning to build an FE 1/8 scale hydro soon so I will need to be able to charge 8S or 10S in a reasonable time at the lake.
Graham.