PDA

View Full Version : Whats your thoughts.

G-UNIT
10-06-2011, 09:31 AM
I have a 1390kv motor,and down the road I'm thinking of putting it in my impulse with a 6s
set up and a upgraded esc with a good size prop, not sure what yet but I know this is a high torque motor that can run 6s.
what are some of your thoughts on this setup, I think it should be intresting. its a 12xl.

G-UNIT
11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Anybody??

G-UNIT
12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Ok, 1390 kv 12xl on 6s with a x645 prop and hit 54.5 mph and it handled very good only problem is I'm runing hot on the motor. 165-170 and thats with the water going into the motor first. the esc is at about 110 and the batterys are at 95, can't quite understand it, looks like plenty of water coming out, and even enlarged the inlet to the water jacket but left the outlet the same, should I enlarge it also? and just try and flow more water around the motor insted of restricting it before it leaves as I was thinking that it would have a chance for it to cool insted of just flowing around and out with out picking up any heat.

Diesel6401
12-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok, 1390 kv 12xl on 6s with a x645 prop and hit 54.5 mph and it handled very good only problem is I'm runing hot on the motor. 165-170 and thats with the water going into the motor first. the esc is at about 110 and the batterys are at 95, can't quite understand it, looks like plenty of water coming out, and even enlarged the inlet to the water jacket but left the outlet the same, should I enlarge it also? and just try and flow more water around the motor insted of restricting it before it leaves as I was thinking that it would have a chance for it to cool insted of just flowing around and out with out picking up any heat.

- Could be a esc timing issue. Which esc are you using and what is the timing set at?
- Could be to much prop for the 2 pole motor. Feigao's are also rather ineffecient.

* 165-170 is bad territory, motors will start to de-mag around that temp.

G-UNIT
12-29-2011, 08:51 AM
I have changed the timing a couple of times but no change in temps, can't remember what its set at right now and I'll get back on that.
What do you feel the timing should be set to? I had it set high and lower but no change.
I an useing a turnagey 120 esc.
never heard anything bad about feigaos and i've run that same prop on a 1500 blackjack motor with no problems, I am also going to check over the cooling system again,
but any othe suggestion anyone has will be helpfull. thanks.

eboat
12-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Can you try a smaller prop ? (yes it will be slower) or even an X445 or M445
Sounds like the motor is just working too hard and heating up (you weakest link)

G-UNIT
12-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Ran the m445 from my ul-1 and still high temps.
heck I'll put on a x642 and see if that runs cooler, it's the smallest prop I got.
I know it will be slower but maybe it will run cooler and then I'll work up from there.
I picked this motor being told that its a 6s motor and also a higher torque motor, like I mentioned the esc and batterys are at good temps so I'll try a even lower timing and a smaller prop and see what happens.

Diesel6401
12-29-2011, 02:32 PM
I have changed the timing a couple of times but no change in temps, can't remember what its set at right now and I'll get back on that.
What do you feel the timing should be set to? I had it set high and lower but no change.
I an useing a turnagey 120 esc.
never heard anything bad about feigaos and i've run that same prop on a 1500 blackjack motor with no problems, I am also going to check over the cooling system again,
but any othe suggestion anyone has will be helpfull. thanks.

The Feigaos time has come and past (jmho) especially with the new and more effcient 4 pole leopard and leopard clones hitting the market at a amazing price. Shortly the feigaos will be phased out (once again jmho).

They like timing at 7.5 on the hobbywing esc's. Propping is key on a 2pole motor. If overproped even slighty the amp spike (and temps) skyrocket. That PB1500 is a beast of a motor and 6pole plus better made (imho), not so picky with the prop selection and more forgiving. I def think you have to much prop on that motor. Try the x642 or a prather 220. Less dia more pitch.

G-UNIT
12-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Ok thanks, i'll set the timeing as you say and run the x642 which is s/b/dt and see what happens, thanks for your input and I'll run it this sunday and post the results here. again thank you.
if all else fails i'll run the bj 1500kv in it that I'm running in the ul-1 right now untill can get another motor, I got the feigo because they have them at my LHS.

G-UNIT
01-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Ok I changed the timing to 7.5 and ran a x642 prop and the temps droped just abit, but still to high for comfort, down to 150 on the motor so i'll drop the timing to the next lower mark or even to 0 degrees and see what happens.
NO MORE feigoes for me.
my LHS also stocks ammo motors, how do these run?
I guess I'll just have to get a pay pal acct.

Diesel6401
01-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Ok I changed the timing to 7.5 and ran a x642 prop and the temps droped just abit, but still to high for comfort, down to 150 on the motor so i'll drop the timing to the next lower mark or even to 0 degrees and see what happens.
NO MORE feigoes for me.
my LHS also stocks ammo motors, how do these run?
I guess I'll just have to get a pay pal acct.

I wouldn't lower the timing. It's y wind motor, y winds don't respond well to low timing. Every Feigao i ever had always ran hot. Try a x442 or a prather 215. 7.5 was always the timing that worked well for me.

Ammo brand inrunners are mostly 2 pole as well I believe, but are more effcient. Switch over to the Leopards, you will be very happy!

G-UNIT
01-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Ok ,next time I'm at the lhs I'll pick up a x442 and see what happens.
The water here is starting to cool down so maybe that will healp also.
When $$ is avaible I'll get a leopard, what on do you reccommend for 6s.

Darin Jordan
01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Feigao motors are only 2-pole motors... They are going to run hotter, especially if you have too much timing in them.

That being said, David Newland runs them in a lot of boats and seems to have the setups down... So I can be done.

Remember, also, that there is more to making a prop selection than just pitch. You can have two props with the same pitch (42x55 vs 45x55, for example), but the smaller prop will load the motor LESS. Diameter adds load. Perhaps stepping down to a 42mm will have a noticeable improvement.

G-UNIT
01-03-2012, 11:53 AM
I'll give it a shot, you guys never steered me wrong yet.
THANKS.

Darin Jordan
01-03-2012, 01:33 PM
You can also unload the prop you have by raising the strut a bit to get some of the blade out of the water, or back-cutting the blade slightly to reduce the blade area near the hub. De-Tonguing it some would also help... The 1.6 pitch ration on the X645 is more than I'd recommend for a 2-pole setup. They just don't have the torque that a 4 or 6 pole does.

The X642 would be a good start. Don't give up on it if at first is seems to be a bunch slower. It's not as simple as just swapping props. As I just mentioned above, there are other factors as well. Where is your strut location currently??

G-UNIT
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I believe the strut is at a netural position, not raised or lowered but setting in a lets say a relaxed position.
also when setting the strut height how do you measure it ? I know how to set up the ul-1 and give measurments but not sure on the impulse.

Darin Jordan
01-03-2012, 03:21 PM
also when setting the strut height how do you measure it ?

Distance up from the keel... Usually the prop center line, but it's usually easier to measure just to the bottom of the strut. For larger diameter props, it will unload them to move the strut UP in height. Don't change the strut angle, just move the entire thing up. A little at a time...

G-UNIT
01-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Ok thanks, I can only un on sundays right now due to work and no light untill DST what in march I think.

G-UNIT
01-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Temps are starting to drop a bit, I made a cooling coil and installed it along with the cooling jacket and the temps at the coil were lower then the jacket if that makes any sence.
I put on the coil with the jacket because it did'ent seem that the jacket was long enough for the 12xl motor, now I'm thinking about making a new coil an removing the jacket all togeather.
I will have to use two sections of 3 ft tubing as I can't find a 6 ft piece, I would'ent relize that it took 3 ft of tubing to only cover about two inches of motor, w'ell see how it works.

dmwilson09
01-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Cooling coils are really only used on brushed motors because they are vented. Brushless motors allow you to run a cooling jacket which allows direct water contact unlike a coil. I am betting that if you run a coil, you will see your temp rise. I would find a xl cooling jack on the OSE website and get that, I think that will better help your heat issues.

On a side note, When i owned a spartan, I ran that same motor and i was never able to keep it cool on 6S even with a ose water jacket.

G-UNIT
01-25-2012, 08:34 AM
I hear ya, the 2 pole motors do run hot, but not causing any damage.
I guess the water is just cooler on the tube but takeing the heat away.