PDA

View Full Version : effectiveness of silicone water jackets

shannon87
10-06-2011, 12:26 AM
hi all finally brought my first proper F/E boat its a apparition with a leopard 4074 and T-180 esc the guy i picked it up from has installed a silicone jacket and i was wondering do the cool sufficiently enough i do plan on getting the proper leopard jacket i just didnt want the motor to burn up on me as its like 90 bucks to replace cheers

T.S.Davis
10-06-2011, 08:02 AM
They work for cooling but they also leak horribly. That may be proportional to speed though.

Steven Vaccaro
10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
They work for cooling but they also leak horribly. That may be proportional to speed though.

It all depends on fitting the correct jacket, to the correct sized diameter motor.
I've leak tested them on a kitchen fauset to where the hose popped off the jacket from the pressure, the jacket just dripped a tad.

jevmax
10-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I've used them quite extensively. Indeed it is important to use the right size for a tight fit. I also use a thin film of silicone sealant under both ends. No leakers.

shannon87
10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
hi guys thanks for the input it is a very snug fit over the motor and i think it is the exact one you offer with your persuits steven tho would like to get the proper jacket at some stage that way it covers just about the whole motor plus looks real sweet.

Once again thanks for your help i was just thinking how good can the heat conduction for silicone be that good especially compared to a metal jacket which allows the water to come in direct contact with the motor can. Not only that you offer them at a really good price steven lol cant refuse that.

I also just realised its a leopard 4047 lol also steven what jacket would be a good jacket for it the mount does not have a back ring if that helps i stand corrected just measured the motor and it is infact 74mm long lol

jevmax
10-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Actually, the water does come in direct contact with the motor case with the Gundert silicone jackets. Probably not as effectively as with a well made metal one, but good enough to transfer some heat.

shannon87
10-10-2011, 03:40 AM
cool thats good u just wouldnt think so i have thought about getting a copper coil made up as i could get it done where it covers way more of the motor and have minimal hot spots plus add a little bling