PDA

View Full Version : Need help for Schulze 40-160 ESC

tlandauer
10-05-2011, 11:14 PM
I got a used boat with a 12s lipo setup, the boat came with the Schulze Future 40.160 ESC . I can tell that a separate receiver pack was used. I am confused however since the previous owner/builder did not take out the thin red (pos) wire from the ESC to receiver wire lead. I always used BEC, this is first time using receiver pack and I remember reading here at the Forum that I need to pull out the red thin wire out before connecting to the reveiver. Anyone with answer would be greatly appreciated.
Tim

David Kingston
10-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Leave all receiver leads in the controller and plug it into receiver.
Power up transmitter
Power up receiver
Plug in main battery to Esc and go boating.
Schulze should set itself to your transmitter

Hope that helps.
Removal of the red lead is not required. I dont think the Esc works if it is removed.

Dave

Fluid
10-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Dave is right. The OP's confusion is because he has only used ESCs with a BEC. Old skool ESCs did not have a BEC, the 40-160 being one of those.

tlandauer
10-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks ,you guys are great help! I did it, wow, first time seeing this made me a bit nervous. It started right up, will post when I finish restoring the boat, UPS did a number on her, bent the rudder, made a lot of gel coat hairline cracks. Oh, BTW, it is a DF 45 with a Neu 2030, 730kv motor. ( exact kv escapes my memory at the moment) runs on 12s. I almost wish I didn't get this boat, too much for me to deal with. lol... May need? ask alot more quwstions down the road! Thanks, guys!

Fluid
10-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Actually that motor will run on 10S fine too. Some guys run 12S on the 40-160 without problems but that is actually slightly above its stated maximum voltage rating. The Kv is 725 and that motor will spin a lot of prop on 10S.

tlandauer
10-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks, I was thinking 12s may be a bit too much. 10s sounds just about right. It came with a X457 prop,( I think) hope that works.

Punisher 67
10-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Here is a video of a DF45 with a Neu 2230/1Y on 10 cell packs just to give you an idea what they go like . you don't want to go 12 cell right off the bat way to scary . actually why not try 8 cell packs for your first run just to get a feel for your new toy .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvdJ_e8gKWg

Fluid
10-07-2011, 12:18 PM
It will safely swing a lot more prop than that on 10S. The extra voltage needs a smaller prop. You should be good with an x462 to x465, but start with the x457.

Punisher 67
10-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Yes I agree with Jay being extreemly familiar with this hull , I have even run mine with a X455/3 for more run time and it still sails past 50mph with that prop . I use a X460/3 and get very close to 65mph on 10 cells . Never tried 12 yet

Doby
10-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Never tried 12 yet

Chicken.:tongue:

Punisher 67
10-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Chicken.:tongue:

Cautious.....:tt2:

As cool as it is to see a lipo fire they are never any fun when you are the one supplying the entertainment........:flashfire:

tlandauer
10-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks to you all, I am not on you guy's level, in fact I am humbled by this knowledge and my admiration goes higher by the day for you guys! so I will really start with a lot of caution. Man, that red Sniper looks so good on the water. I have one question for now, the boat , as I said before came with 12s set up. It was using 2 banks of 12s . Parallel wiring so total voltage is 12s. It uses four 6s batteries. So there is 10,000 mah of capacity, battery being 5000mah each. I find the weight on the batteries is tremendous, is that normal for this hull? Like I said, I am really confused. On the other hand I won't be running 12s so weight should go down, but my curiosity is killing me. I don't want to offend anyone, but maybe the setup from the getgo was too extreme?
Again, thanks to you all!

Fluid
10-07-2011, 04:17 PM
My 10S boats weigh between 17 and 20 pounds ready to run - weight can be your friend especially in rougher water.

tlandauer
10-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks! I feel better already!:smile:

Anbjorn
10-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't think you should worry about the weight. Fluid is correct, weight can be your friend.
I run my Sniper on 12S2P with four 5500mAh packs. The hull is also heavily reinforced. I don't know the weight of the boat RTR, but it is quite heavy. The big Schulze 40.300 also weighs alot.
Start off with the X457 and learn to feel the boat from there. Be carefull when accellerating, set the radio to slow if you can. Hard accelleration will cause huge amp spikes. Make sure your caps are good. More caps would be even better.
With the correct CG and prop depth I would estimate ampdraw with the 725kv motor on 12S with a Prather 260 to be close to 200amps a full speed. Atleast double that at hard accelleration.
I have yet to run mine at perfect conditions, but I find it very hard to control the boat when passing 140km/h (87mph) on the GPS with the current setup.
It would be fun to see pictures of your boat.
Anbjørn

tlandauer
10-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks, i know, my problem is that although I have yet to build a boat, my gut feeling is that this particular boat was built light though very well. So I am already having issues with gel coat and stress cracks after UPS shipping. I am slowly reinforcing the hull, since the motor rail/mount is already in, I can't take them out and do a whole area. I am laying down reinforcements one area at a time and over lapping them somewhat. Thanks for the info on ampdraw! If I get everything right I will post some pictures, right now I am concerned with the over all health of the hull.

Punisher 67
10-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Again I have to agree with Jay and Anbjorn , when you get to this level of performance its weight that keeps the hull in the water , you don't want a cinder block but with a 45 inch hull pushing over 10 + horsepower its weight that keeps it from being a short lived airplane and then a spectacular lipo fire afterwards . balance between the two is certainly what makes this an effective water boiler

tlandauer
10-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks, I won't worry about the weight issue any more, the reason I asked was due to my lack of knowledge and experience at this level. Anbjorn,you said you are using a Shulze 40.300. What is your opinion with the 40.160? Is it not too small to handle this? The builder seemed to have no trouble using it. I went to Shulze's web site and didn't see something as big as a 40.300, am I missing something?
Thanks to you all!

tlandauer
10-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Never mind! I found that monster! Wow, what a piece of engineering ! Reminds me of my Leica cameras! German engineering! sorry guys, not trying to waste your time. Thanks!

Anbjorn
10-08-2011, 02:19 PM
The 40.300 is the first version of the 300 series xxl. Shortly after the 40.303 came. I don't think there is much difference between them besides the 303 has better logging features.
Now there is also the higher rated 40.333.
I have some 40.160wk esc's on their way back to me from Schulze after service. I have noe expericense with them yet but alot of people say they are exelent.
In my opinion I belive you will be fine with the 40.160 if your esc and caps and lipos are in good condition and you are carefull and follow the adivce given above. Specially the amp draw during hard acceleration.
Peter knows this esc quite well I belive, and will probably be able to give you a better answer.
Anbjørn

Punisher 67
10-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks Anbjorn

The 40/160 is definitely under-rated at only 160 amps cause I have spiked mine well past the 250 amp mark on 10 cell setups and doubt you will have any issues with it either providing you stay with Jays and Anbjorns advice on props , I have used the 40/160 on 12 cells with my 3080 powered Apache but that is a lower Amp draw setup . The 40/160 will handle up to 60 volts but running a ESC close to its max is asking for potential problems . I try to stay conservative with most of my setups but every now and then I do walk the thresh-hold .

If you are going to chart the 12 cell territory please do your self a favor and start small with props , Check your temps and if all is looking good you can step it up to the next level and check things again .

tlandauer
10-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks, that is good to know, I will follow all your advise! The ESC came with extra cap bank. So I was lucky at least. The prop is x457, should I use something smaller? If I start with 10s then I think this prop would be safe, but 12s I am not sure.

Punisher 67
10-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I was going to ask if it had extra caps and you already confirmed that , great news . On ten cells the X457 is a great choice for the maiden run then experiment from there . I like to run a little conservative the first time out just to get a feel for the boat .

tlandauer
10-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Thanks, Punisher 67 and all of you. These are invaluable info/lessons for me, much appreciated!
Tim