PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions new to the hobby...

Jkf1983
10-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Been wanting to get a rc boat and would like some suggestions from you guys. Used or new? Build my own? Been really eyeing the pro boat mystic... Any advice?

Diesel6401
10-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Been wanting to get a rc boat and would like some suggestions from you guys. Used or new? Build my own? Been really eyeing the pro boat mystic... Any advice?

Being new I would suggest getting yourself i nice new boat and learing from there. I personally wouldn't say used because you never know how the person before you modded or took care of the boat, you may not know how to repair some common discrepancies. What type of water will you be running in? That question would help decide which hull type is best for your application. Welcome!

desmobob
10-06-2011, 07:52 AM

I recently bought a ProBoat Mystic 29 as my fist boat and I've been very pleased with it. In hindsight, it may have been better for me to have started with a V-hull boat that handled my local lake's usually choppy water a bit better than the Mystic catamaran, but I have no regrets... the Mystic is a load of fun and I think it's a great way to get your feet wet in RC boating.

After I bought mine and ran it a few times, two of my buddies (one an RC flyer and the other with no previous RC interest) immediately ordered Mystic 29s.

Take it easy,
desmobob

kendt
10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Just be sure to do a bit of leg work before you buy one. Some have had issues, others like the ones from japan often need reinforcing in the hull before they can be safely used.The last thing you want is to buy a lemon first time out. Aside from that if you have the skills and are up to the task there is great satisfaction in building one. It could be as simple as buying a hull and gear and installing it yourself to a full blown scratch build. Either way its a great way to learn...Hopefully whatever choice you make you will enjoy the hobby for a long time.

Jkf1983
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses! I definitely have the DIY skills to build my own and/or fix a used one. I'm wondering if that's more of the direction I should take. Is there a certain brand of hull you would recommend? Also is there a online store for items like that? I think I would prefer a catamaran style boat and the main thing that concerns me about buying a RTR boat is the quality of the parts....I don't want to spend all that money and then have to replace some of the stock parts because of failure. So I like that if I built my own of fixed a used boat I would be able to pick the parts I wanted in it.

ironjaws
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I kind of agree with the op in buying a excellent condition modded boat from a member. I bought a upgraded/modded motley off v-spec for a great price. It was like brand new. He also taught me soooo much after purchase. There are lots of good guys on this board selling lightly used modded boats for very reasonable prices. I know if I bought the motley new/stock i would have spent double by now doing what he did to it. And he went through all the work of ordering everything like the turnigys from overseas. He had it dialed in nicely too. right out of the box and doing a stable 55mph the first day out. 40mph out the box isn't bad, but you'd get used to that soon enough. Btw...i agree. I like the cat hulls too.

lohring
10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
If you want to race, find a nearby club and see what they are doing. You can often find good advice and deals from active racers. They usually want to encourage new members.

Lohring Miller

siberianhusky
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
The biggest problem with the most of the rtr boats isn't so much the hardware and electronics it's the quality of the hulls!
My Motley is the flimsiest hull you can imagine, but it is a 400$ rtr boat, I have motor/esc combos worth more than the entire purchase price of that boat!
If you can build it from a quality aftermarket hull or buy a nice used one you will end up with a much better boat in the end.
I've come to really like my Crew now, I accept it for what it is and really enjoy running it against other spec powered boats, I had far to many hull issues with the big castle I had in it, it was fast but every time it crashed I was doing hull repairs.

Diesel6401
10-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses! I definitely have the DIY skills to build my own and/or fix a used one. I'm wondering if that's more of the direction I should take. Is there a certain brand of hull you would recommend? Also is there a online store for items like that? I think I would prefer a catamaran style boat and the main thing that concerns me about buying a RTR boat is the quality of the parts....I don't want to spend all that money and then have to replace some of the stock parts because of failure. So I like that if I built my own of fixed a used boat I would be able to pick the parts I wanted in it.

The delta force hulls are amazing, if you want to start with building your own boat that would be a good place. A DF29 would be a good start and you could pick up AQ SV27R or Motley crew motor and esc to fit into it and also SV27 hardware will fit and maybe easily picked up in the f/s section

PapaGriz
10-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Also is there a online store for items like that?

The big OffShore Electrics logo at the top left of the page.
Or click here: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/

I bought a cheap 26" rtr to see if I would enjoy the hobby. After driving it about 2 times I realized that I wanted a big cat and bought a used 37" Fightercat Daytona. The bigger boat is much better suited to the lakes I want to run in.