PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack on the way / Video

ddeem72
03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Hello. I am new to this forum and have a Blackjack on the way from the swap on this site.

Ordered Fullers Super Strut, Speedmaster Mini Mono Rudder, flex shaft and Octura x642. Will run IB3800's / 4200's.

Can anyone give advice on how much tounge to cut out of the prop for best performance? Also, anything I am missing?

Check out this video I found on Youtube while looking at BJ clips...Maybe some docking practice for this person?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Wor-zPhE8

Dave

obrien
03-23-2008, 10:55 PM
basically you want to remove enough of the tongue so that it doesn't stick out past the leading edge of the hub. I will see if I can find a good pic of my prop for you later on.

obrien
03-26-2008, 11:56 PM
here are a couple of pics that might help you a bit.

ddeem72
03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the photo's.

I recently received the prop and balanced last night (also removed part of the tounge like in the pics). Just need the boat which is on the way...

Dave

ddeem72
03-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Can anyone tell me the best balance point? I just want to save as much setup time as possible. Also, I am going to remove the battery trays and don't want to mount the velcro in all different spots...

Dave

ddeem72
03-30-2008, 02:47 AM
I am ready for a test run tomorrow. I want to thank everyone for their help...Especially O'brien..

Here are some pictures. Took a little while to build (a few hours this weekend). I am sure I don't need the extra zip ties on the hoses but I know they will not come off when I put the batteries in and stir them up...

I need some hardware as the Fuller strut I ordered did not come with any. Also, I am thinking about how one extra battery would work running NIMH. I flew helicopters for a while (4s & 6s Lipo / 12 & 13 Cell NIMH). The extra 1 cell made a large difference with the brushless motor. After I run it, I will know if I need any more power... Maybe 1 extra cell won't bother the ESC like two extra cells (2 8.4v packs).

Batteries on the bottom must be a help (without the battery trays). They are now 1" to 1 1/2" lower. I won't have any comparison, but lower gravity must be better. The velcro works really well. I put a longer run in the boat so I can move the batteries front to back for adjustment. They stick very to the velcro and I don't need straps. In fact, the NIMH fit nicely in the sponson floor position. I will use hatch tape and the interior should remain dry. The only thing at this point to get wet would be the ECS whick is protected very well. In fact, what a great market to make a liquid cooled ESC box that you could fill yourself with hardening compound...Gotta be a market for that in electric boating...

The control rod for the steering is a little bent to fit the current setup... I know this is not optimal but if I grab the rudder, the servo plastic horn flexes more than the rod does. This prevents one additional large hole in the stern with filling another...

Dave

obrien
03-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you yet.

As far as set up goes, If you are running nimh batteries, you can get away with putting them against the transom, if you are looking for top speed. Slightly forward of that works great for all around running. The battery location in your pic is too far forward. I would suggest leaving the turn fins on. I cut mine shorter and didn't notice much if any speed loss. You will just have to try a few different settings with your trim angle and battery locations to get the boat to run how you like.