PDA

View Full Version : Motley crew motor question

sonny1717
10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Hey everyone, I bought the new mc and I am pretty happy with it , however I wanna go faster as does probably everyone else in this forum , I called castle and they told me to run the new 1415 cc 2400kv motor with the hydra 120 amp esc, I bought a new set of 5000 mah 50c batts and I am anxious to run it again , is this a good enough motor to make this thing haul butt ? Or am I barking up the wrong tree ? Forgot to mention I'm running a Grimm 42x55 prop, I already ran the boat with old batts and wasn't that impresses , haven't had a chance to run it with the new ones, just looking for some advice ? Thanks

siberianhusky
10-06-2011, 10:16 AM
KV is too high really for a reliable boat setup, unless you prop way down to keep the amp draw under control.
Unless you enjoy doing hull repairs run it pretty much stock and be happy with what a 400$ rtr boat does, the design can handle a lot more speed but the thin layup of the hull and hatch can't stand up the very many 50 mph crashes.
I've put mine back on stock power and am happy enough with that, mine is full of stress cracks, stuffing tube has come loose from the hull due to flexing, motor mount bent in a crash, hatch has been stuffed in at least 3 times now. One sponson has been repaired due to a turn one incident with a SV. They came together kind of side to side, the Crew fared much worse! Didn't even turn over the SV!
People do need to keep in mind that is is a 400$ ready to run boat and costs have been kept to a bare minimum, you really can't compare the hull to some of the after market ones in terms of quality.
I've given up on the speed search with the Crew, if I want to do that again I'll buy a much better/stronger hull that can take impacts with the water at 60 + mph, gotta remember it's like hitting concrete at that speed!

Fluid
10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
If more speed is what you want, a new prop is far less costly than a new motor. Try an m445, that should give speeds in the mid-upper 40s, which should help with your 'need for speed'. Castle needs to read their own boat motor recomendations page. The 2500 Kv motor is just too much for most 4S boats other than some hydros, and even they usually work better with 2200 Kv motors.

sonny1717
10-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the advise guys , I'll put an order in for one of those m445 props , that sounds good ! Gonna try to run this weekend and see what happens :)