PDA

View Full Version : Need to remove Paint and graphics ?

Andris Golts
10-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi all which is the fastest and safest way of removing automotive base -clear coat paint and stick on graphics to get back to a bare wood hull ? Regards Andris Golts.

FE Wannabe
10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I have used this product on a fiberglass RC boat hull with good results: http://www.citristrip.com/ . I think it might work well with automotive paint on a wood hull.

"It can be used on wood, metal and masonry surfaces to remove latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, enamel, polyurethane, shellac, acrylics and epoxy."

It is not caustic and the smell is not that bad.

As always, try on a small less visable part of the hull first, until you know how it works.

It comes in an aerosol can version for easy application and bigger gel containers for large projects as well.

Brad

dana
10-03-2011, 07:16 PM
the question is, why do you want to get back to bare wood hull? is there something wrong with the adhesion of the paint that is there?

Andris Golts
10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for your input FE Wannabe and dana, dana to answer your ? why i want the paint removed back to bare wood i had issues with the clear coat bonding to the base coat the clear would peel off when radio box tape is applied. Regards Andris Golts.

detox
10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
What brand of basecoat paint did you use and what type of clear was sprayed over that?
BTW you can buy automotive type stripper from Home Depot (follow directions)

Andris Golts
10-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi detox base coat is Valspar clear coat is Bernardo Ecanaro automotive clear.Regards Andris.

Basstronics
10-13-2011, 05:50 AM
Ive used the citrisrip on numerous occasions now. On Glass and on wood boats.

Works wonders!