PDA

View Full Version : Antenna ?

G-UNIT
10-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm not crazy about the antenna on the impules 31, can you just run it inside the hull with the second antena with no problems. sorry about the spelling but I havent had a day off in quite while and I've had one to many cocktails, ya hooo.
of cource I would seal the hole.

Stephavee
04-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Wow 99 veiws and no replys...Well first off :beerchug: working man myself. If you do you might regret it, the fiberglass hull absorbs the signal. also with the water reflection i wouldnt risk it man. i wouldnt want my 40mph or 60mph boat to loose signal and die in the water. go get some clear tubing or make it faster so you dont see the antenna! i got 38.6mph with a stock boat and m545 prop on 4 s 40c 5000mAp. with the added weight of the gamin etrex gps! I think the m445 is better at 36mph though.

stadiumyamaha
04-15-2012, 09:26 AM
I've had bad luck running no antenna on most of my boats and have just recently started installing them on all.
The impulse was the worst.
I use spektrum receivers.
A buddy uses Futaba which seems to work much better without antennas.

CatMan
04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
I had been wondering same question, so I thought I would try it on my genesis. i use a traxxas radio. I taped antenna wire down the port side (above water outlet hole)
and have gotten 4 runs on it now (new boat) and it seems to work fine. on the first run, I got it kind of far away and the steering seemed to not respond, then respond after a second or two, not sure if it glitched
or if it was something else?, but it hasn't done it again. I have been keeping it close though ( in case I have to go get it)

H2OCamel
04-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I have had better luck with internal mounted antenas with the spektrum rx with the longer 4-6" antenae

johnmaclean
04-15-2012, 04:05 PM
I've been running my sv27's without external antenna without issues. . . . nothing fancy for radio, just the HK 3 channel one. It seems fine as long as the antenna is above the waterline. I've got it fastened to the top of the radio box with a couple of small tywraps. I do plan on using external antennas on the two builds I have completed this winter.

G-UNIT
04-17-2012, 10:15 AM
The spectrum rx that comes with the boat has two antenna wires, one inside and one out side, can you just put both antenna wires on the out side in the tube?

Darin Jordan
04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
The shorter wire should stay in the boat... preferably routed perpendicular to the main antenna.

I haven't experimented with leaving both inside the boat. Things are too expensive for me to risk losing signal and wrecking one, plus it could be dangerous to those around me.

That being said, I've heard of people leaving them inside without any issues when keeping the boat in reasonable range. I wouldn't expect to run it out 600ft and have it NOT have issues, however. The only portion of the "antenna" that is actually receiving signal is the last 31mm of it, the silver portion at the end. That lead is a coaxial cable, and the last 31-32mm of it is the portion where the shield has been stripped away. THAT is the portion that needs to have clear "view" of your TX. Signals can travel though hulls, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. You CAN shorten the antenna tube and just leave 2-3" or so sticking up with reasonable success, but, as I've mentioned, if something gets between the antenna and the TX, you could have problems... Might now, but you could.