PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen these esc at hobbyking before, Cheap!

siberianhusky
10-01-2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F19441%5F%5FBirdie%5F200A%5FBrushless%5FBoat% 5FESC%5FNO%5FBEC%5F.html

(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F19441%5F%5FBirdie%5F200A%5FBrushless%5FBoat% 5FESC%5FNO%5FBEC%5F.html)37$ 200 amp esc, who'll be first? Gotta wonder when HK says it's cheap right in the add! They claim to give them a 2 minute load test of some kind though.

megalops
10-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Good luck! No i havent ever used one. But....

properchopper
10-01-2011, 12:59 PM
In all seriousness, having been around the outskirts of the electronic world for quite a while, I always wondered why they (marine SC's) are so (relatively) expensive. I bought a few 30A speedys (for helis) at eleven bucks each (they work just fine) . Given that marine SC's impose more strain I sort of understand, BUT.....

I may be innocently misunderstanding the complexities of SC design, and I'm sure marketing issues factor in, however I'd imagine that any decent designer could build the "better mouse trap" at substantially lower pricing. Just sayin' .......

JackBlack26
10-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I agree with Propper, but I think the price may be higher due to the lower amount of units sold compared to other ESCs used in hobbies that might be more popular and also the abuse some of us put them through. Lets be honest and admit that most ESCs that let go of the smoke is because they are improperly used. I have heard from many members on this board that marine ESCs don't like to be run at anything but 1/2 throttle. I have yet to experience that issues running mine at any range. Just the other day, my son ran 3, 5000 MAH 4S packs through my 26" Prince at less than 1/2 throttle because he doesn't feel comfortable going balls out yet. The ESC never flinched or broke a sweat. This was using a PB 1500kv motor, Turnigy 60A ESC with a X447 prop.

The only ESC I have had go up was the one that came stock in my Genesis, and it was just after plugging it in. When I opened it up you could see the poor quality of the solder job on the FETs.

Only thing that scares me on these is the programming or the lack of it. Most people seem to complain about the ESC not programing right or not storing information once selected. I'll order one on my next order and see what happens. It states that every unit is tested at max range.

kendt
10-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I personally dont think running less than wot should be an issue with any modern esc. Its not like the old days where they were using huge resistors to cut the power and in turn created a ton of heat. I have found in most cases with stuff from asia its not the design thats bad its the poor quality control. They dont seem to spend any time on the little details. sometimes thats enough to cause an issue and give a bad experience. I would never use anything from asia without first opening it up and going over it carefully(providing it is an item which can be opened for inspection). And so far I have little to gripe about. You could go through a crap load of those cheapie esc,s and still not spend the money that an etti or cc ice would cost.The one thing I would be suspicious of is the difference(or lack of) between the constant amp rating and the burst amp rating, it makes me think one of them has been fudged and my guess is the constant current rating.

kendt
10-01-2011, 03:24 PM
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-platinum-150a-opto.html I just ordered one of these. Its got great specs and 30.00 bucks cheaper then the one I was planning on getting. For 30.00 i'll gladdly water proof/cool it myself.:banana:

circus162
10-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Just bought 2. For 77.03 even if they end up as paperweights, it was worth the gamble. I'll let you know.
Rich

Alfa Spirit
10-01-2011, 04:01 PM
This is a Mystery 200A, I' ve got the HIMODEL version waterproof and watercooled by me

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2700/ztuning1408.jpg

Alexgar
10-01-2011, 05:26 PM
It's a suppo knock off I used one for about 6mths great until used in the 130-150 amp range but on a cc1512 run like a champ

carlcisneros
10-01-2011, 08:53 PM
either a suppo or a knock-off.

look carefully at the cooling bock next to the ESC leads. some are actually TOUCHING the solder joints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boaterguy
10-01-2011, 09:31 PM
on the SS the heatsink (air version) is touching the output wires to the motor, i watercooled it myself, went through 3 of them (1 of the ones ben used to sell, and two hk ones) without doing anything wrong (that I know of)
have you seen the "red brick" air ESC? looks like another suppo knock off.

785boats
10-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Had another guy at the club yesterday with a new one, (SS series) & his motor would only cog over slowly. I pulled off the shrink for him & the plate was on the three solder joints. I've got it on my bench to see if I can get it working for him, but I think the damage has been done. That's three now in the last couple of months from three different people. Same ESC's but with different lables.
The fets on this one were covered in a clear resin which would reduce the cooling effects anyway, but worse than that the blobs of solder raised the plate up off the fets so it was only touching the fets by a small amount at the other end of the plate.

Alexgar
10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
As suggested by me and others that these be reworked upon recieving or they will fail it's been proven 5mins of insurance will save you some greif and $

Fluid
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I personally dont think running less than wot should be an issue with any modern esc...Very interesting. Is anyone interested in what experts have to say about this, or do we just want to trade uninformed opinions?

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/faq/faq-general.html#gen6
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225739&highlight=part+throttle

Doby
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I have found in most cases with stuff from asia its not the design thats bad its the poor quality control. They dont seem to spend any time on the little details. .

True, but then again, Castle Creations has had some major quality issues as well. (and they cost a tad more $)

JackBlack26
10-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Very interesting. Is anyone interested in what experts have to say about this, or do we just want to trade uninformed opinions?

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/faq/faq-general.html#gen6
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225739&highlight=part+throttle

Haha, that's insane. Sounds like Castle just covering their behind. Every form of RC demands that one limits the throttle. Have you even flown a Helicopter? You know what would happen if you didn't limit the throttle? How about raced on road or off road RC? Ever tried going full throttle through turns or the whoops section in off road racing?

Funny how Novak never seems to have a problem where CC does. Too bad Novak doesn't make Marine ESCs.

JimClark
10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
So the Chinese are now knocking off Chinese products too funny

Doby
10-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Probably just re-labeling......

siberianhusky
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow truly bizarre! People posting picture of home cooled esc, guys talking about cogging problems with a different esc, One guy can see through the heatshrink in the two pics on HK and claims it's already shorted out!
Take a pill It's just a post to say something new and cheap is out there!

Alexgar
10-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Not new by any means himodel suppo hobbyking ss just a mother label on a decent product, and I do agree if quality control was better this would be an awesome deal but as I burnt up 2 turnigy is about as low down the bar I'll go

graill
10-02-2011, 06:38 PM
You guys bring up some great concerns. I was working with ********** last year and for about 3 months this year on ESC's. During our interaction i was shown several sites that dealt with very high performance ESC for electric bikes, cars and planes, some you can find online, and some of their own sites. I asked what they thought about the current esc's in use, the reply was kinda comical as this was a direct quote, "You guys are running on the ragged edge of unit failure and we find it amazing these units even last as long as you have stated", this from a high tech company that deals in the unreal.

*Some esc's may or may not have been sent, do not need the no vision peeps assembling (read assemble, not manufacture) the majority of these thinking trade secrets are being stolen as they were not*

All had faulty Fets in some state, including the new ones, no use of non film caps, all had insufficient heat sink capability, Programming was unidentifiable at source. (i told them the origin of one, the other two *cough*). None of the units sold here tested were manufactured in the usa, one was assembled here though, i couldnt find one that was all american made (i did tell him the one i preferred was made in Germany), either the programming was korean or chinese made or the parts were outsourced.

I was pointed to an esc site that had some impressive units, sadly the one for my application weighed 6 pounds, the 3 pound unit was the equiv of schulze's 40.160. I pointed out weight as an issue, but it was bulletproof. In the end ********** stated they would like to make money on this but it would take a few million in just R&D to make "Bulletproof" esc's for our hobby in the sizes we need.

They did state these things, fets need to be tested before assembly because of the manufacturing proccess, they are made in mass quantity like candy and dropped into bins willy nilly (not my words), Film caps need to be used, sadly these things run like 20 bucks or more in some cases, one reason the current esc assemblers dont use them i would imagine. larger heatsinks for low to midrange operation and proper programming. (they did not elaborate on "proper programming".)

The summary from them was this, what we have now seems to be working in some regards and until someone with big cash knocks on the door nothing spectacular will happen with current esc types in the near future.

kendt
10-02-2011, 07:00 PM
:roflol:
Wow truly bizarre! People posting picture of home cooled esc, guys talking about cogging problems with a different esc, One guy can see through the heatshrink in the two pics on HK and claims it's already shorted out!
Take a pill It's just a post to say something new and cheap is out there!

domwilson
10-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I say go for it. But I would suggest adding a cap bank for a little extra security.

Alexgar
10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Caps and bec btw when I look at the manual link on the file tab at hk the header says suppo esc programming so mystery solved

7500RPM
10-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Haha, that's insane. Sounds like Castle just covering their behind. Every form of RC demands that one limits the throttle. Have you even flown a Helicopter? You know what would happen if you didn't limit the throttle? How about raced on road or off road RC? Ever tried going full throttle through turns or the whoops section in off road racing?

Funny how Novak never seems to have a problem where CC does. Too bad Novak doesn't make Marine ESCs.

Maybe Bob Novak is making Marine ESCs with Bill, you never know..