PDA

View Full Version : timing

hammertime
04-26-2007, 01:03 AM
when you set the timing on the esc i assume this is the motor timing..... is this the same as setting the timing on a brushed motor only through the esc..... more rpm....but hotter

Fluid
04-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Yes, it does the same thing. However, each motor style needs a different optimum timing - most multi-pole motors need more timing than most 2-pole motors for example. The ESC or motor maker should specify which timing is best for a particular motor. The lowest is not always the best....

ReddyWatts
04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
IMO, just leave it on the Castle Creations default setting for a Feigao 2 pole motor. You will need set it to what is suggested for your 4 or 6 pole motor. Monitor your controller temp after changing this setting.

hammertime
04-26-2007, 01:18 PM
ok great.... its a 6 poll motor so ill just increase it one step at a time..... it has 3 8 15 30 i think it was on 3 ill move to 8

hammertime
04-26-2007, 05:25 PM
acctually changing the timing on my esc to the motor will not make it spin more rpm or does it.... i read the thread on building a reliable brushless setup it says it doesnt but i thought it did

hammertime
04-26-2007, 06:21 PM
anyone????

Fluid
04-26-2007, 08:27 PM
What motor do you have? Did you check with your ESC maker to see what they recommend? Yes, setting the timing too low for the motor will reduce efficency and can result in lower rpm under load.

hammertime
04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
well i ran it last time on 30 deg when i ran it the first time it was at 3 deg there is also 8 and 15..... so 8 or 15 might be faster than 30.... it was a noticable difference in speed and my temps were not bad at all i have a quannum motor i know its not the best motor but it works good for now.... its a 6 pole motor and somewhere around 1350 kv

Fluid
04-26-2007, 10:05 PM
None of the ESC makers I checked listed the Quannum motor. I would guess that 8 or 15 might be optimum, but I don't know for certain. You are doing it right, checking for temperatures after each run. I can ceertainly believe there is a performance difference between 3 and 30 degrees! :eek:

hammertime
04-26-2007, 10:27 PM
there definately is and im getting realy long runtime.... i couldnt be more happy..... my buddy is goin to take video on sat or sunday..... im also goin to get a radar gun from my dads work for it as well....ill keep everyone posted

ReddyWatts
04-26-2007, 11:57 PM
This is an email I received from Castle Creations last October about the timing setting in their controllers.

Timing
advance is dynamic; it changes with the speed of the motor so the advance is
correct for all motor speeds. Changing timing advance changes the range
within which the advance works.

Timing advance on our controllers has a much greater affect on efficiency,
I.E. Heat, than on performance. It is better to use low timing advance and a
slightly larger prop than to try to get performance by increasing timing
advance, regardless of what it is called in our software. Our naming of the
timing advance steps was a mistake. It should be fast, hot, burn up your
system. Regardless of timing advance top speed is the same as this is
dependant on the motors Kv.

--
Bernie Wolfard
Product Support Supervisor
Castle Creations
235 S Kansas Ave
Olathe, KS 66061

ReddyWatts
04-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Sensorless controllers the ESC synchronizes with the motor by sensing the back EMF pulse on the unused wire (all three wires are used but only two are energized at one time). The ESC using this pulse to determine where the stator is, calculate and compensate for motor inductance, sent commutation cycles at the correct time and set timing advance.