PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable trim tabs?

G-UNIT
09-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Where is the post on the adj trim tabs on darrens impulse and who are they from,
{speed master?) and what size are they.
Also what do most think about the optional duel rudder setup? to much drag?

Darin Jordan
09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
These are a bolt-on... by design... :thumbup1:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-spdt-150

G-UNIT
09-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks darin, speedmaster I'll ckeck my lhs they have a bunch of speedmaster stuff and made right here in florida.
Oh yea and I just got my impulse 31 the other day and it looks great good job, I just need to install the hardware as soon as I get a chance and save my pizza tips for batterys and extra esc for the ul-1 and blackjack.
I picked up a feigao 12xl 1390kv motor and am deciding what boat to try it out on any suggestions, 5-6s w/a 120 esc, probaly will be running 5s mostly and have alittle leway on the esc don't want to push it to the max just yet.
Before the first run I was thinking of reinforceing the hull and hatch with some glass and resin, just a thin layer, what do you think?
G.

Darin Jordan
09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Before the first run I was thinking of reinforceing the hull and hatch with some glass and resin, just a thin layer, what do you think?
G.

If it were me (and it WAS, when I got my production copy), I would put a layer of carbon or glass into the underside of the hatch for sure... It's pretty strong, but the large rounded surface, upon impact with the water, flexes inward, and the primer/paint will crack pretty easily.

Likewise, I used some 2-Part expanding foam, and ran a pour down each side so that it would expand out and make contact with the chine area and the deck, and then did an additional pour up underneath the deck surface to keep it from being able to bow inward on impact. When the deck gets compressed, it stresses the sides and seams and can cause cracks in the primer/paint along the chine and on the edges of the deck.

Cheap Chinese paint and brittle production glass-work... just the realities of RTR boats...

If you do these simple mods, you'll have a pretty bullet-proof boat...

G-UNIT
09-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Ok, thanks for your reply and I will perform these simple steps asap and thank you for a great boat and all your knowledge here on ose forums

Darin Jordan
09-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Ok, thanks for your reply and I will perform these simple steps asap and thank you for a great boat and all your knowledge here on ose forums

You are welcome... I used the 2-Part foam because I wanted to add the flotation anyhow, so figured it might as well be structural. A person who is decent with glass could also epoxy and glass reinforcement into those areas as well. Pouring in the 2-Part just seemed easier and more useful. Just be careful how much you pour in.

G-UNIT
09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Got it, don't want to go overboard and split the hull.

G1ST
09-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Darin
How much 2 part foam were you pouring into each side?

Thanks
Greg

d.a.v.e
06-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of their boat after they put the foam in it? Planning to try it soon.

roost28
05-31-2013, 11:15 AM
These are a bolt-on... by design... :thumbup1:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-spdt-150

i purchased these trim tabs from ose for my impulse but when i put them on they mount flush with the bottom of the boat. is it ok to run these like that? or should i modify them so they are a bit above the bottom of the boat? i always thought the trim tab should be up a bit higher.