PDA

View Full Version : Genesis or Miss Geico?

Mattwarner
09-26-2011, 11:29 AM
As the title suggests, i am looking at both and like the size and straight line capability of the Genesis and have been toying with the idea of building it myself, as iam based in the UK sourcing from Astec means even the ARTR genesis is £100 ($150) less leaving me room to upgrade the electrics and hardware. However the Geico is clearly a well regarded quality boat which is RTR but small and expensive.

Turbo Dan-O
09-26-2011, 03:13 PM
I would go with the Genesis and like you said spend the extra money on upgraids. Just my opinion!

Dan-O

jamespl
09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
It depends what you want really. I've not owned a mg but did have a genesis. The hull quality will be better on the mg and it is a plug in and play but the genesis will need some work. What about the new mystic? Basically the same hull as the mg but with the 60a esc and 1800kv motor. You say the genesis will be cheaper but by the time you have got a leopard motor, esc and radio it's prob not far off the mg price. In terms of hull quality the mg will beat it hands down IMO.

Rumdog
09-26-2011, 05:05 PM
I disagree about hull quality. My "Daytona" (Genesis) bare hull was built excellent. Flawless, straight, and strong. The Geico has uneven ride pads at best and a flimsy hatch.

jamespl
09-26-2011, 05:34 PM
On my genesis the back split when the rudder hit something in the water and the front points broke off for no reason. Aztec do a carbon version though so maybe go for that.

Rumdog
09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
??? The sponson tips broke off for no reason? I find that hard to believe. Unless the RTR Genesis is a lower quality hull. Also any transom will split if not using a shear screw in the rudder.

jasoncyclone
09-26-2011, 05:37 PM
I think the MG is better for oval racing and the Genisis is better for SAW runs... If you are looking for a top speed boat get the genisis, If you are looking for a great play/oval boat get the MG.

jamespl
09-26-2011, 06:05 PM
I think it was cos it was sat by the door in my van that the sponson tips broke. But the vibration from driving to the pond shouldn't have done that really.

Make-a-Wake
09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
If you want an all "around boat" the MG would be better..........the Gen doesnt turn worth a darn..............

Rumdog
09-26-2011, 08:33 PM
It does if you use a offset rudder..:cool2:

Boaterguy
09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
isn't the daytona a clone of the genesis but built better?
the genesis has a pretty well bulletproof driveline, ben ran one on an 8S (or 10S?) system and the driveline still held up, I think most of the other hardware made it through also.

tiqueman
09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Rum, the hooking goes away w/ the offset? I had no issues turning mine, it was holding the turn w/ out rolling that was the issue. My vote, MG. Ive had/ have two of each. Both w/ different set ups, Geico was better off handling in both scenarios for racing, however straight line capabilities the Genesis/ Daytona would be the better boat. Straight line gets boring quick. JMO

tiqueman
09-26-2011, 09:41 PM
isn't the daytona a clone of the genesis but built better?
the genesis has a pretty well bulletproof driveline, ben ran one on an 8S (or 10S?) system and the driveline still held up, I think most of the other hardware made it through also.

I actuallty think the Genesis was built better than the Daytona. I discussed this w/ Ben at Fightercat. My Genesis was much more stout than my Daytona

tunnelvision
09-26-2011, 09:59 PM
I have both as well. They are different boats like tiqueman said, Genesis is more of a straight line boat and the Geico will drive like its on rails.

Hull quality imho goes hands down to the Genesis, the Geico's crack when someone sneezes near it, needs more reinforcement if you plan to go fast. However, your paint on the Genesis won't last and will peel up after you pull off tape from your first run. Can't go wrong either way but if you are racing go Geico.

Boaterguy
09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I think someone should make a mold and do a carbon geico, they did that with the daytona/gen, it sure cost alot but they look real nice and seem to be strong, plus when you do a carbon mount, batt trays, and even carbon hardware (if you could make a carbon wedge rudder) and the thing would look beautiful.

Mattwarner
09-27-2011, 04:36 AM
Thanks for all your options guys, i was planning on going for the carbon version as i love the look and like boaterguy says with all the carbon extras they look the dogs!

I am coming up from a kyosho twin storm so either of these is going to be a massive step up in all areas, my local lake has an area specifically for rc boating and is quite big as its for large sailing yacht racing so there are not really any tight corners to worry about and people tend to watch straight line speed more than anything.

Its a real pity no one does a carbon MG