PDA

View Full Version : Noob looking for boat

esebcarfreak
03-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi, ive never had an rc boat befor and was thinking of getting one now, im planing on getting the SuperVee 27 BL because it looks like a good, solid vehicle. So my question is, should i get this boat? Or is there a better RTR BL Boat?

Mich. Maniac
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
hmm. well since you posted in the sv thread section "no biggie" I would say go for the sv. They are readilly available and so are parts now. OSE has a great selection of rtr boats that can be upgraded if want to get in a little shallower. Check out the forum for a while then decide. Depends on if you have a large lake or small pond. The BL blackjack is a great rtr as well. ALSO, remember whatever you pickup even if it says rtr... well read some threads for a bit and you will understand. If any questions just ask. These guys here are awesome at advise and are understanding to noobs! Good luck

esebcarfreak
03-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the Info. Yeah, ive been thinking about getting this boat for a while now so my mind is almost set on it. And ive been into Rc Trucks for a while so i know that parts break, but does it require more, or less maintenance than a rc truck?

Mich. Maniac
03-18-2008, 10:56 PM
MUCH LESS maintenance. Ive had an sv for well, one season so far and I have givin it heck. As long as you stop and do what you know you will be fine with this boat out of the box. Radio upgrade is recomended from me at least. check all nuts and bolts. grease your cable and check electrical connections.. then do a tub check, if all is good , do a pressure check on cooling lines. then have a blast and get ready to be hooked on fe boating!

motoxbob11
03-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I think the Supervee is the best RTR BL boat because it's design is very close to true race boats. No steerable outdrives or dual motors or other RTR stuff, it looks very much like a high quality boat but there is a catch! Take the time to set it up and eliminate the problems that may be there from the building process and you will have a great value. As far as the radio if you already run a quality radio in your trucks just get a reciever and add the boat to your setup. I took out the stock radio and used a new reciever with my Futaba FM radio that I already had.

esebcarfreak
03-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. One more question though, why is the stock radio not so good? Does the water make the signal weaker?

motoxbob11
03-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Not sure if it's the water but the radio that comes with it is the same one that comes with quite a few other RTR products. I have an identical one labeled Duratrax instead of Aquacraft. It is just a cheap am system that DOES work but the suggestions here are that a good fm system will be much less prone to glitching and will give better range.

esebcarfreak
03-19-2008, 08:18 PM
oh, ok, that makes sence, thanks :D

Rex R
03-20-2008, 01:03 AM
I suspect heat buildup in the radio box may play a role.

dtacmed
03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Go Supervee. I'm new to the Supervee but have been in RC for years and years. For a ready to run there's none better. A few little modifications i.e add turn fin to other side and a metal prop a little PM (make sure the cooling system is free of "burrs" and your ready to tear up the water. Well woth the price for a true Fiberglass boat.

dtacmed
03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Here is mine running stock and hitting a limb

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/dtacmed/?action=view&current=StickintheWater.flv

esebcarfreak
03-20-2008, 06:33 PM

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/dtacmed/?action=view&current=StickintheWater.flv

ouch! so what broke in the video in the end?

Mich. Maniac
03-20-2008, 06:58 PM

(classic women) did ya break it? gotta lovem though eh?

dtacmed
03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
a couple of dings in the gelcoat that was all.

Joe Friars
03-22-2008, 02:38 AM
The SV27 is my first experience in a hobby grade r/c anything. I have had a great time with it. The recomended modifications/tweaks have been a great experience for learning about what an FE boat is all about. I have to admit that working on it is almost as fun as driving it.
While I never had a problem with the AM radio that it came with it, I did finally change it out for an FM system. The up side is that I can use the old system for a recovery boat, gotta love spare parts!
It is a great boat to start out with ahd there is plenty of information out there on these site to help you along.
Have fun.
Joe