PDA

View Full Version : stuffing tube questions

iceman
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Im new to all this so i have to ask questions so here goes.on the rigger im building im planning on using the speedmaster 21 strut. this takes a 3/16 prop shaft and 1/4 stuffing tube. i know i need to make a slight bend in the stuffing tube keep it level to the strut. does the stuffing tube go all the way to the strut or is teflon tubing used between tubing and into strut? my thoughts were the strut being adjustable needed some type of flex. also is it better to have teflon sleeve an tube or not? Thanks for all the help.

GARY:smile:

m4a1usr
09-25-2011, 10:09 PM
You dont have to use a teflon liner. Its not an absolute. On high torque/high power systems its probably a liability as it can add problems when drive line geometry is not perfect. Only you can determine that with your shaping of the stuffing tube. I would recommend that you use brass tubing all the way to the strut, not everyone agrees with that opinion. But if not connected to the strut you can suffer the issues associated with imbalance in your drive line. Free floating it will move if it can. That leads to vibration over certain rpm frequencies (harmonics) and allows for increased friction. Power robbing in its basic element. Since there is not enough information provided I'm not going to state which is your best option. Just be aware.

John

iceman
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
if you run the stuffing tube into the strut how can you then adjust strut hieght and angle?

GARY

Philmunsterman
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
On all my Riggers the tube is run into the strut. I think you will find that the brass tube has enough flex to make the adjustments you will need. Phil