PDA

View Full Version : 30" Cat Build up

calcagno45
03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey guys,

I finally got everything in to build my 30" Cat(has standoff). I have a few question now.

I'm using the Octura Inline Hardware kit. When I mount the kit to the standoff, when should the skeg/flex cable be position, even with the bottom of the tunnel or sponsons?

Also I'll be running a 9xl, will I need to reinforce where the hardware is mounted? and if so how do I go about it with it being in the standoff?

Next, I was to paint the hull over. Should I get everything munted how it like, disassemble and then paint? or should I paint the hull first?

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

Thanks for the help and please follow along with me, its my first build.:help:

txboatpilot
03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey guys,

I finally got everything in to build my 30" Cat(has standoff). I have a few question now.[/QUOTE]
I'm using the Octura Inline Hardware kit. When I mount the kit to the standoff, when should the skeg/flex cable be position, even with the bottom of the tunnel or sponsons?

Install the hardware so that the strut bottom, is flush with the bottom of the sponsons.... Lay the hull flat on a table, set the hardware up so the bottom of the strut is level and sitting on the table.. This is a good starting piont.

Also I'll be running a 9xl, will I need to reinforce where the hardware is mounted? and if so how do I go about it with it being in the standoff?
Next, I was to paint the hull over. Should I get everything munted how it like, disassemble and then paint? or should I paint the hull first?

Just make a back plate out of some 1/8 ply... install it in the stand-off on the inside for support,,, Just use 20min epoxy...
Mount up the hardware, then disassemble and then paint...

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.
Thanks for the help and please follow along with me, its my first build.:help:

What colors are you going to paint it??

calcagno45
03-19-2008, 01:15 AM
So a small 1"x1" piece of 1/8 will do wonders in the standoff?

As far as paint I was thinking along the lines of these colors:

txboatpilot
03-19-2008, 07:42 AM
So a small 1"x1" piece of 1/8 will do wonders in the standoff?

As far as paint I was thinking along the lines of these colors:

You could go to 1/4 ply for more strength.. I like your paint idea, I have 2 hulls that have Monster Energy decals...

Eodman
03-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I would build it first then disassembly it for the paint job! No sense doing a 1st rate paint & then slip and screw it up while finishing the build!

A couple of issues back there was a great article on painting hulls in RCMB magazine!

calcagno45
03-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Ok, I'll assemble, disassemble and then paint.

I have some pics I'll upload to start off with.

Another question is about the brass tube that comes with the Octura Inline hardware kit. It comes with .130 flew cable. I'm using a .150 flex cable. From trying to fit it, I assume the 7/64th brass tube is only for the .130 flex cable and not the .150?? Or I have to use the teflon liner? Can I just run the cable in the tubing?

calcagno45
03-19-2008, 07:37 PM
a couple pics here:

blastoff
05-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Calcagno how did your build turn out ??? I just got the same hull and need tips as well.
I am not to impressed with this ACCELLERATOR Catamaran it's kind of cheesy at best but it should make a O.K. first build. I just ordered this rudder:
http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/images/pmkickrudderboot.jpg