PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating that annoying cable on the stiletto...

FighterCat57
09-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Cable was always causing problems... so I put a waterproof DMG servo next to the outboard and made some rods to completely eliminate the slack in the outboard.

Now time to change the motor and ESC. :)

Might be the start of a projecr thread. Hehe.

FighterCat57
09-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Hehe cool it worked. I did that all from my phone.

Make-a-Wake
09-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Nice idea........mine hasnt caused me problems yet, but the darn flexshaft with the two square ends wears out/breaks easily and i cant find a replacement.

FighterCat57
09-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Actually, we might be able to work together on this. I've been trying to find a "square end" press. I think Bonewar mentioned such a tool in the past, but can't find the post on it.

The 4mm cables are very close to the .150, so the square end might actually fit better and be a bit stronger cable.

A tip on the square ends; epoxy them together. The epoxy won't stick to the metal permanently, but will absorb the slack preventing pre-mature cable failure. The square ended stuff tends to round out because there's too much slop in fitment.

m4a1usr
09-24-2011, 02:09 AM
I've made the crimping tool before but the usual 2 plate version. They work alright but you have to align the flex perfectly and keep an eye for shaft rotation as you are crimping otherwise you will get little "pushed" out areas on the 90's. Lets just say its a learned technique. If you want to make perfect squared ends like K&B and the Hyper flex shafts it would be better to make (or have made for you) a 4 edge crimper like the Aerospace industry uses on end fittings for flex shafts. Shouldnt be too expensive but you will need a hydraulic press as well. Greenlee makes a hydraulic cable crimper that could work fairly well but I am betting you will have to modify the jaws a bit. I have one at work (20 ton) and its as simple as using a die grinder to change the face of each one. But if I did that I'm betting the Electricians at work would be pissed at me!

John

FighterCat57
09-24-2011, 10:54 AM
I've made the crimping tool before but the usual 2 plate version. They work alright but you have to align the flex perfectly and keep an eye for shaft rotation as you are crimping otherwise you will get little "pushed" out areas on the 90's. Lets just say its a learned technique. If you want to make perfect squared ends like K&B and the Hyper flex shafts it would be better to make (or have made for you) a 4 edge crimper like the Aerospace industry uses on end fittings for flex shafts. Shouldnt be too expensive but you will need a hydraulic press as well. Greenlee makes a hydraulic cable crimper that could work fairly well but I am betting you will have to modify the jaws a bit. I have one at work (20 ton) and its as simple as using a die grinder to change the face of each one. But if I did that I'm betting the Electricians at work would be pissed at me!

John

Lol, I'll bet they would!

Yeah, the 4 way crimp is what I'm looking for. I still have some friends in Aerospace machinery, perhaps I'll tap some resources to see what I can find.

Make-a-Wake
09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
I just ordered a replacement shaft from a place in FL..........only to have them call me and say they are on back order.........why allow a person to put it in the cart and pay for it if it isnt even in stock...............ridiculous...........the Stiletto has been sitting for a month now...........

FighterCat57
09-24-2011, 10:17 PM
I just ordered a replacement shaft from a place in FL..........only to have them call me and say they are on back order.........why allow a person to put it in the cart and pay for it if it isnt even in stock...............ridiculous...........the Stiletto has been sitting for a month now...........

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Perhaps this thread will catch the eyes of someone who can hook you up short term.

I have square ended cables, but only 1 end is square. If there was a way to fit a collet on the motor and slip the square end into the lower, then I could help you out now.
(I'm not sure exactly how the outboard cable system works beyond the top end. I've never had it apart, but if there's a way to modify it so we can get you going, I'd be glad to help.)

Make-a-Wake
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks, i took some flex shaft to try and make my own a while back and made a lame attempt by using a belt sander to get 4 flat edges, was then going to solder it........the edges werent in a true square and dont really fit...............gave up on that idea. Thanks for the offer to help, i may have to check into putting a collet on the motor end and just buy a flex with one squared end and cut it to length..............thats a pretty good idea, i'll check to see what size collet will work and report back, i may have one.

FighterCat57
09-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks, i took some flex shaft to try and make my own a while back and made a lame attempt by using a belt sander to get 4 flat edges, was then going to solder it........the edges werent in a true square and dont really fit...............gave up on that idea. Thanks for the offer to help, i may have to check into putting a collet on the motor end and just buy a flex with one squared end and cut it to length..............thats a pretty good idea, i'll check to see what size collet will work and report back, i may have one.

Should be a 5mm - .150

The cables I have are 4mm, which is slightly larger than .150, but can be fitted in place of a .150 most times. The square end should be just about a perfect fit.

properchopper
09-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Ben,

I'll PM you Kriss Flynn's e-mail. He's made me some nice cables for my OS lower. He does nice work and is prominent in the tunnel arena.

Darin Jordan
09-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Guys... before you go out and spend a bunch of $$ to make your own cables, these fit:

http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/3_5_outboard_cable.html

You may have to trim the ends a tad (I sand mine on a disc sander), but they are otherwise the right size... I haven't had to change ones one in a LONG time!

FighterCat57
09-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Guys... before you go out and spend a bunch of $$ to make your own cables, these fit:

You may have to trim the ends a tad (I sand mine on a disc sander), but they are otherwise the right size... I haven't had to change ones one in a LONG time!

Perfect!

I was hoping you would join the fun. Thanks for the link! =)

CHIEFY_44
10-02-2011, 01:02 AM
i also know he has these in stock i was just there the other day, but if you tell him they are for the stiletto he has some that are drop in replacements they have a black spiral line around them and they come in packs of 1 or 6, i just broke my first one of these after loads of runs, i have had the ones without the line and i had to trim some off the length to fit correctly.

CHIEFY_44
10-02-2011, 01:04 AM
hey fightercat i have done basically the same but i left the servo in the standard place and it works great, two lengths of 4-40 rod couple of new cleves's and two ez connects and i no longer have the troublesome cables.

FighterCat57
10-02-2011, 10:55 AM
hey fightercat i have done basically the same but i left the servo in the standard place and it works great, two lengths of 4-40 rod couple of new cleves's and two ez connects and i no longer have the troublesome cables.

Awesome! Post up a snapshot if you can. =)

CHIEFY_44
10-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Sure fightercat no problem will take some later and post them

FighterCat57
10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I ran into another problem and quickly resolved it. Great color scheme, one of my favorite color combos... BUT it had the wrong number on it! :laugh:

FighterCat57
10-29-2011, 05:43 AM
OK, so if you're going to run 4s2p in this boat, don't do it with a 2200kv 80 amp motor, lol...

This lasted two runs and then completely demagnetized, barely making it to shore. Melted the solder right off of the motor leads.

It was pulling more than 150 amps and running really fast. No GPS, but it was cookin. (the same speed as anyone that's put an E-Revo 2200kv motor in one)

This is the first little outrunner I've blown up and I was pushing it hard to do this.

Steven Vaccaro
10-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Hyperprod makes a direct replacement.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hpi-dc1563s2AD

FighterCat57
10-29-2011, 02:09 PM
hyperprod makes a direct replacement.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hpi-dc1563s2ad

SWEET!! Thanks for posting that up.

:cool2: