PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber

Gimp
09-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, I am pricing out a Genesis build. My question is, could I send the boat to a member and have the whole inside reinforced with carbon fiber and how much (including the carbon fiber). Also would need the motor mount reattached.

I'm a college student and can't really do any wet work like that because space and smell is an issue. I would assume it would be easier to have the boat shipped directly to you, and then ship it back to me when the carbon fiber's done.

Again, just planning this out. It will definitely be a winter time project. Thanks!

Basstronics
09-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Using the 20 minute finish cure epoxy will not create a smell issue. You can order as little as 10"x12" of carbon from Kintec.

Just wanted to point this out.

Its not to hard and it doesnt produce much smell. If anything I think it slightly smells like peanuts.

Just use a stiff brush. I like to use 1" chip brushes.

Gimp
09-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Using the 20 minute finish cure epoxy will not create a smell issue. You can order as little as 10"x12" of carbon from Kintec.

Just wanted to point this out.

Its not to hard and it doesnt produce much smell. If anything I think it slightly smells like peanuts.

Just use a stiff brush. I like to use 1" chip brushes.

Didn't know you could use epoxy, thanks for the heads up. What would be the best cure time?

Basstronics
09-23-2011, 10:33 PM
You want to use the "Finish cure" stuff.

Before I bought and used that I was using the 30 minute stuff and mixing in rubbing alcohol to a runny snot like consistency. Worked good but took days to dry completely.

I will advise you to have some acetone on hand to clean your hands if you should need to get down and dirty with it. I usually at some point end up sticking my fingers on something.

Gimp
09-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Eh, after doing some more research I think I'd rather have somebody else do it. That way I know it'll be a nice job. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and if I screw up at all it will bug me forever.

LarrysDrifter
09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I have a Genesis hull set up for twin drive with polished hardware ill sell. Look up "Triple Cat" in the search button for pics.

Gimp
09-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Talking with Mr Tiqueman, may have something in the works. Thanks for the help guys!

Basstronics
09-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Always a good option to let a pro do it too. That way its done 100% correct. Never hurts to learn either.

Good luck with her. Sound slike she will be nice when put into the water.