PDA

View Full Version : underwater camera boat finder

properchopper
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Just bumped into this. Battery powered, 60' of cable. Not that expensive compared to a nice FE on the bottom.

Yeah, I know murky water's a prob, but...

(sorry, couldn't directly link; pix are the best I could wrangle)

Diegoboy
09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
link (http://www.harborfreight.com/underwater-camera-with-black-and-white-monitor-91309.html) <====[--0

for those interested

m4a1usr
09-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the linky! I got to get me one of them. Wish it was a swimmer, but that got me to thinking. Why not make it a swimmer? Cant be all that hard.

John

sundog
09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Wow. In a busy lake you might make your investment back right away. Tackle boxes, rods/reels, sunglasses, rc boats, wallets, anchors, etc. This is better than a metal detector - you can see if it's worth recovering! But it would take some work setting up a grid with gps, mapping it out and so on. Cool find!

graill
09-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Going to be interesting to see who the first one to make it an ROV will be..... :)

properchopper
09-22-2011, 08:02 PM
link (http://www.harborfreight.com/underwater-camera-with-black-and-white-monitor-91309.html) <====[--0

for those interested

Thanks Danny, my "linking skills" are not so good ; figgered a picture would get the idea across.

marko500
09-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I think it would be great if you could rig up a grappling hook to it. That way you could see what you are hooking and when you had it.

Mark

properchopper
09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
I think it would be great if you could rig up a grappling hook to it. That way you could see what you are hooking and when you had it.

Mark

Our local race venue, Legg Lake, has had its share of boats down. As soon as that happens, people in the pits that witnessed it will line up a visual coordinate with the opposite shore and hold it 'till the rescue boat goes out with a drag bar and hook, both made of rebar. Attaching this goodie might help, but Legg is very murky and the bottom is like quicksand so the camera may or may not be of benefit. Joe V. (Questtek) may work on the underwater propulsion, Ill bet, as he does such things for other projects and he was interested in this piece when I showed it to him. More to come....:spy:

marko500
09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
The only concern I would have with the propulsion system would be stirring up the silt on the bottom reducing visibility even more.

Mark

obrien
09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
When our little club was first getting started, we would run behind a guys house on a small lake. Well a couple of times we had boats go down, and had to use one of these cameras to find the boats. Each time we found them, and someone would swim down and bring the boats back up. It takes a few minutes to find the boats, because it is kind of strange looking at the screen and making sure you know which way the camera is pointed.

We were using a mastercraft ski boat. For the sand on the bottom to get stirred up it would have to be fairly shallow water, which you would most likely be able to find the boat with out the camera.

m4a1usr
09-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm way ahead of you Tony (but dont let that deter progress from your end :)=) I am going to engage our local ROV high school program we run every year and get some young minds engaged. And its a cheap investment to stimulate their 3D thinking in a underwater enviornment. Right now we have an obstacle course they have to run in a swimming pool. They use line of sight to engage the hurdles. With this system I can train them to remain focused from the under water perspective. Not standing pool side staring down with visual errors. It will be fun to see them correct for parallax and adjust!

John

Doug Smock
09-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Phil Pace w/ Vac-U-Boat built a barge with a motorized reel that will raise and lower a camera and light. Pretty neat watching the video as he drove the barge around. I'll see if he has any pics of it.
D.

properchopper
09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
The only concern I would have with the propulsion system would be stirring up the silt on the bottom reducing visibility even more.

Mark

Not if the propulsion system employs the super guassian flux density ion emission thrust vectoring remotly articulated hyper drive and the camera lens is a finely crafted bi-pentagonal hexaprism now under development at the ProperChopper Secret Research Facility located underground at the SoCal FE Home for the Terminally Bewildered :unsure:

RandyatBBY
09-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Not if the propulsion system employs the super guassian flux density ion emission thrust vectoring remotly articulated hyper drive and the camera lens is a finely crafted bi-pentagonal hexaprism now under development at the ProperChopper Secret Research Facility located underground at the SoCal FE Home for the Terminally Bewildered :unsure:

You cracked me up!:biggrin:

marko500
09-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Sorry Tony I totally neglected to take into account that variable.:doh: Are you going to also employ a fanewton valve to regulate and redirect the flow of ions? :biggrin:

Mark

properchopper
09-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Sorry Tony I totally neglected to take into account that variable.:doh: Are you going to also employ a fanewton valve to regulate and redirect the flow of ions? :biggrin:

Mark

Mark, only if I can locate the later, left-hand thread version. If not, the only alternative is to adapt a sub-galatic parabolic sphincter servo.

marko500
09-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Don't forget to use a left-handed wrench with the left-hand thread version.

I worked with a guy once who couldn't get a screw to start. We had him convinced he was using a left-handed screwdriver and he should have been using a right-handed one on a right handed screw. Should have seen him asking everyone in the shop if they had a right-handed screwdriver he could borrow. haha.

Mark

properchopper
09-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Don't forget to use a left-handed wrench with the left-hand thread version.

I worked with a guy once who couldn't get a screw to start. We had him convinced he was using a left-handed screwdriver and he should have been using a right-handed one on a right handed screw. Should have seen him asking everyone in the shop if they had a right-handed screwdriver he could borrow. haha.

Mark

A buddy of mine was working on his motorcycle. He asked to borrow an adjustable "monkey" wrench. I asked him what size bolt he needed to tighten ; He said he was sure it was 5/8". I told him mine wouldn't work 'cause it was metric. :doh:

m4a1usr
10-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Got my mitts on mine today. Have to say it does look like typical Chi stuff. Not junk, just bare bones in quality and materials. But having said that, it has lots of potential. I still have not finalized on the propulsion or sub frame assy. Lots to consider. Thankfully with all the cheap brushed motors and esc out there its not going to be expensive. The best part is the video camera has more then enough resolution to bring in a good 2 to 3 meters worth of background, yet can remain focused on something as small as a box of cigarettes up close. It also has infared led's for low light conditions that are surprisingly bright. So dark murky water shouldnt be a problem. You will just need to be close to see what ever it is you seek.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use some ducted fan assy and 2 or 3 motors. With an RPM range down around 50 to 200. For a change I'm not interested in speed! Wow. That was tough to utter. More to follow. Luckily I have a nice tall (30ft) water column to play with at work. Its fresh water and crystal clear to boot. I'll get some pics up soon once I decide on the platform.

John

sundog
10-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Cornwall has some kort nozzles that would do well as ducted fan propulsion, or better yet, you might consider bow thrusters. http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ecornwallmod elboats%2eco%2euk%2fcgi%2dbin%2fsh000001%2epl%3fRE FPAGE%3dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww%252ecornwallmodelbo ats%252eco%252euk%252facatalog%252fvoith_schottel% 252ehtml%26WD%3dkort%26PN%3drobbe%252drudders%252e html%2523aR1432&WD=thruster&PN=bow_thrusters%2ehtml%23aR1155#aR1155 Looking forward to your build.

rc2266
10-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Mark, only if I can locate the later, left-hand thread version. If not, the only alternative is to adapt a sub-galatic parabolic sphincter servo.
He he... Tony said sphincter.. he he:roflol:

m4a1usr
10-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Cornwall has some kort nozzles that would do well as ducted fan propulsion, or better yet, you might consider bow thrusters. http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ecornwallmod elboats%2eco%2euk%2fcgi%2dbin%2fsh000001%2epl%3fRE FPAGE%3dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww%252ecornwallmodelbo ats%252eco%252euk%252facatalog%252fvoith_schottel% 252ehtml%26WD%3dkort%26PN%3drobbe%252drudders%252e html%2523aR1432&WD=thruster&PN=bow_thrusters%2ehtml%23aR1155#aR1155 Looking forward to your build.

Bow Thrusters are an excellent idea. A couple 14mm Graupner pumps would do alright. Thanks for the idea!

John

properchopper
10-01-2011, 11:59 AM
John,

Glad you're developing something that just might benefit all of us. Here's a thought : If you Google "Radio Controlled Submarine", you'll find some stuff (some toys, some pricey) that might give you some ideas - just food for thought.

murphy3428
10-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Here is a cool vid of an rc sub with underwater cam I dont know how deep it can go but it is definitly cool, make sure to watch the 2nd half of vid that is when the cam is mounted on the sub. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US5xzZCWr0s&feature=related

m4a1usr
10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm shooting for a copy of a tethered system I already play with. Just not so complex and on the cheap too! Since this is the internet I cant provide any details, the job you know. But here is a "public" domain photo of what I will emulate. No not the ship! Look at the rear of the ship. Thats called the oh one level. Located there you can see 2 tethered recovery systems. Ones called CURV the other is called SWRD. Again public knowledge so I cant get in any trouble. My goal is to use the CURV in its most basic form. Hopefully the link is clear enough to view my descriptions.

John

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=875451

drwayne
10-01-2011, 09:31 PM

check this out

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?8794-Skippies-and-Kiwis&p=222896#post222896

cool winter hobby build last year

Tx includes lcd screen for viewing of sonar below boat via wlan remote feed.
Range up to 300m

BTW.
I was R&D tech for RAN DSRV project 2003-05.
DeepSeaRecoveryVehicle.. RC S&R to 800M
Now collects drink cans from 500M under... as training

Doc W