PDA

View Full Version : Great lakes area building inquiry

T.S.Davis
09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Howard and I were talking at the Northern lights gig about building this winter. I don't think either of us knew what we wanted to do. I still don't but I gotta be building something this winter. I'm like a drug addict. I'll get the shakes if it gets cold and I don't have a plan.:banana::banana::banana:

So I thought I'd ask you great lakes area dudes. I tend to race with you guys more than others. Anything in particular that sounds like it might be fun to play with this summer? Not a new class or anything stupid like that. I have a couple scales to do but they're such a gigantic undertaking to do right (my impression at least). That's not for everyone.

I don't have a good P spec mono. That's cheap fun. Don't really care for OPC. I need a new LSH. Can't decide if I want to build one, buy one, or buy an Insane and rip the deck off of it.

Who's planning what?

Doby
09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
I plan on one of the Phil Thomas hulls for a new LSH next year.....Gut my UL-1 and trasfer most things over.

T.S.Davis
09-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Maybe it's just you and me John.

longballlumber
09-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Not just you....

With the exception of Q sport, I'm not going to get excited about anything bigger than P or P-Limited (spec) until we have a bigger pond to race and there is more opportunity to race something bigger.... Right now there is a VERY limited chance to race anything over P or P-Limited.

I am very sure that I have all the bits and pieces to put together a Q sport using a NEU 1527 1Y. In order to keep up with Terry in that class you’ll need a 1527 1.5D at a minimum or drop in the same 2215 he is running… No offense to Terry; he has done a great job getting that boat set up to handle the speeds and the turns. It just sucks there is so much variance (power) from one motor to another in the Q category.

I would like to have a P-Limited Rigger put together for next year. I am struggling with designing my own by taking some numbers off of a nitro hull in the basement vs. putting together the “lobster” style sport hydro kit (RT marine) that I was trying to sell a few months ago vs. buying one of Brian’s Raptors.

I am going to keep working with the PT Stealth 30. The boat has a lot of potential but I have a lot of work to do on balance, weight, sponson surfaces, turn fin and rudder length.

Later,
Ball

T.S.Davis
09-23-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm with ya Mike. I'll get the Oberto done but it will be just to have in the fleet for when I can travel. Although, I really don't want to build it around the IMPBA scale rules so it may sit indeffinately. There's no place to run a NAMBA scale except the NATS and some times not even there so no hurry. I thought about building a Q rigger but same problem. No place to run it. Not many of those around either. I even thought about a Q SAW rigger but I have to drive to Valdosta to run it.

There's more left in my Q sport but I need better batteries to pull it off. The Hyperians have nothing left to give. Need to figure the actual amperage on that setup. You can hang with me on a 1527/1y. It just takes balls. You need to run a big prop with some high C batteries. My Tide boat GPS'd at 70 on the 1527. The turns were slowly ripping that tank in half though. The new one isn't any faster it's just built a LOT better. It's never going to be a spec class. We have plenty of those.

P is where it's at if you want to race regularly. Power to weight is pretty solid and they fit on most race ponds without cringing every time you come out of turn 4. I love Q but it's a novelty class.

Not sure what I'm going to build. I so enjoy building boats. Maybe I should build some and sell them.

D. Newland
09-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Terry-What was your mAh draw for the Q boat up in Canada?

T.S.Davis
09-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Pretty sure it's around 5600 for 112 seconds with the mill so maybe 185 amps average. Coming out of the turns may be close to maxing the Hydra240

D. Newland
09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Sounds very close to what I'm doing w/a 1527 1Y in a 40" mono. My last 2 runs have been a solid 180 amp average w/a HV240 and that thing has yet to heat up and that's running it here during the summer. I've yet to put a LV 240 on it, so I'm glad you're good w/it as that's my backup controller.

DPeterson
09-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Terry

Don't be scared - build a P-Limited OPC. :)

With your creative wood building skills it would be interesting to see what you would come up with.

Doug

T.S.Davis
09-23-2011, 03:42 PM
All my 240LV woes are self induced. I beat the crap out of those things. On 6s. My failures have been due to impact or me running them hot and wet repeatedly. They can run like that but your days are numbered. I run a 240LV in P mono with the BEC. That runs about 165 amps. Stuffed hard enough to hit bottom twice in Canada. Came up with a gobs of mud. ESC is still working fine.

Maybe I would like OPC if I had a different boat. My Woodstuff is just too danged big. I would scratch build one but I don't really understand the geometry. If I had some bench marks maybe. I already own the leg. Good excuse to build something. haha I have some Dunlap plans but I don't trust them with our setups.

Maybe a scratch Q cat to run with Fred. I have some cat plans somewhere too.

fas
09-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Your a sick man davis but I would be up form p spec mono as I will have a cat by the end of this year one way or another and I am also going to build the whip 40 this winter also

T.S.Davis
09-23-2011, 04:50 PM
I was thinking a custom P spec mono. Nice and light. A little shallower vee than that crazy thing I run for P. Talked myself right into that one.

We gotta get you a Geico or a Mystic Fred. Next time we're out I'll let you run mine. So fun to drive. Remember when we used to power slide our bikes into the garage behind my house when we were kids? Feels kinda like that. Except without the neighbors bitching about the dust on their laundry...............

I'm such a child. :focus:

fas
09-23-2011, 09:40 PM
yes i do remember that she really did get pissed at us lol i will have a cat before next year

Fred

LuckyDuc
09-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm considering a P-Ltd mono for sprint oval racing. I may start another whip 20 build this winter as well.

longballlumber
09-24-2011, 10:41 AM
I will have a cat by the end of this year one way or another

I have you covered with a Cat! Don't be going out to buy one.

Later,
Ball

longballlumber
09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm considering a P-Ltd mono for sprint oval racing.

P-Limited Mono (Sprint) is the next class to take off... I would like to see more "offshore" in the offshore class. The low profile mono hulls defiantly have an advantage for the 4 min heats.

LuckyDuc
09-24-2011, 12:23 PM
P-Limited Mono (Sprint) is the next class to take off... I would like to see more "offshore" in the offshore class. The low profile mono hulls defiantly have an advantage for the 4 min heats.
The Monos do seem to have an advantage in P-Ltd Offshore. What hulls are allowed in full scale offshore racing?

Fluid
09-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Monos and catamarans in FS offshore events.

T.S.Davis
09-24-2011, 02:04 PM
They don't run the real cats and monos in the same class. We'll have to see how the season settles with our cats and monos together. Right now I'm in the lead with a cat in our club but Fred is picking up laps every outing.

Mike, he wants a cat that can win. Not one that is upside down every heat. hahaha azinga!!! Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm going to replace mine this winter now that I have it figured out. Geico or Mystic for me unless something else pops up. Larry had one that was re-painted burgandy metallic that was slick.

I think I will build a new mono for limited sprint this winter. It's already in my head trying to get out. Might as well make a pretty one. Eventually all my boats will be pretty. Maybe I'll mold this one.

longballlumber
09-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Mike, he wants a cat that can win. Not one that is upside down every heat. hahaha azinga!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ha Ha.... You nailed me with that one... LOL... I did get third last year with a cat. After racing in London, it makes me realize how much "race" water and conditions can be SO different depending on the location.

LuckyDuc
09-24-2011, 02:29 PM
After racing in London, it makes me realize how much "race" water and conditions can be SO different depending on the location.
Yep. It is amazing how setups vary from course to course. I took some good setup notes for next year's race.

LuckyDuc
09-24-2011, 09:30 PM
They don't run the real cats and monos in the same class. We'll have to see how the season settles with our cats and monos together.
Are you guys considering running a separate offshore class for monos and cats? I like the looks of cats, but have been hesitant to get one for offshore because they run against monos.

T.S.Davis
09-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Never thought about it. We could score them seperately easy enough. My cat and Fred's mono are really close in performance. I had range issues in London. Haven't figured that out. I would have been right in there.

The speeds are similar. Finishing has been an issue but I think it's been fluky. Mikes cat is as fast as any LSO boat I've seen but he keeps getting stung by a weird wave this way or that way. Gusts of wind. Maybe he's too fast. I really don't feel like the monos have an advantage although the results might make it appear that way.

T.S.Davis
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I forgot about the No Step 4 I have to put together. Not sure what fer or how fast I wanna go with it. I wonder if anyone ever set one up for SAW.