PDA

View Full Version : One dunk and I’m done?

RCvolt
09-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Casual boater here with a Proboat Stiletto.

I’ve done a pretty good job of water proofing the boat where if the boat ends up upside down, the rest of the boat is still pretty dry except for the exposed motor. And that is the end of the day for me…

I bring the boat home and use a hair dryer to remove any visible moisture and let it air dry till I can run it again another day.

Will I ruin the motor if I use compressed air and / or spray wire dryer on the motor to run it again at the pond?

Is there any way I can safely get more run time soon after a flip?

NorCalZ71
09-21-2011, 01:20 AM
water wont hurt a brushless motor. the ESC is the part that you want to keep dry. i have run brushless motors in mud and fully submerged in water in my rock crawlers with no ill effect as long as you clean it when your done for the day. someone more experienced with boats will chime in and explain what to use when cleaning your motor but by all means when you flip it just toss it back out and keep having fun!!!

siberianhusky
09-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Brushed or brushless will run fine when wet. When I used to race RC cars we would break in a brushed motor by running them slowly in a glass of water.
Just need to take care of the bearings at the end of the day.

martin
09-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Corrosion X in the motor. Martin

Darin Jordan
09-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Corrosion X in the motor. Martin

Martin beat me to it... Order some Corrosion-X from Steven and liberally flood the motor with it. After you dunk the motor, flood the motor with it again. I do this regularly during the day if I've had an "incident".

Driggs
09-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Fish it out, pick it up , let it drain, then go like hell again, no worries !
Casual boater here with a Proboat Stiletto.

I’ve done a pretty good job of water proofing the boat where if the boat ends up upside down, the rest of the boat is still pretty dry except for the exposed motor. And that is the end of the day for me…

I bring the boat home and use a hair dryer to remove any visible moisture and let it air dry till I can run it again another day.

Will I ruin the motor if I use compressed air and / or spray wire dryer on the motor to run it again at the pond?

Is there any way I can safely get more run time soon after a flip?

martin
09-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Corrosion X prevents any long term corrosion, It also helps for the next time you dunk it. Everyone that runs a boat should have a can of this stuff. Those that do use it on this forum know how good it is. Martin.

CHIEFY_44
09-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Deffo get a can and leave it in your tool box, its awesome stuff

Griff
09-22-2011, 05:01 PM
I put a video up of mine going turtle, picked it up drained out the water, then let it rip again, gave the motor a good spray when I got home, still going great, don't think the motor is a worry as long as you have the rest of the electrics waterproofed,

Tom

RCvolt
09-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Thank you very much to all you really great OSE people.

Now I can look forward to a day at the pond instead of a lap...
Hay, I might even get to hit the LVC? :laugh:

Thanks!

CHIEFY_44
09-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Noooooo u dont want to hit lvc its bad for ut cells