PDA

View Full Version : Going to try 6s on stock setup wish me luck

Piranhafreak
09-19-2011, 02:55 PM
As says in title i am just bored with the boat and its stock form so im going to try 6s in it as just props alone didnt do a whole lot. So i am back to stock prop rewired the electronics added a receiver battery and throwing in some 6s lipos and we will see i have heard this is possable i will update after tested

JimClark
09-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Why not just send me the ESC before you try 6S

Piranhafreak
09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
well any of those people who said this can be done with a stock setup is wrong i will try to get some pics. It was fast before the fire complete meltdown here i was running seprate battery for the reciever that esc just cant handle that kind of voltage so NO DONT TRY 6S ON STOCK SETUP

Fluid
09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
:flashfire: It may have worked had you reduced the prop size first. Adding 50% to the voltage with the stock prop was a guaranteed burn-down. Lesson learned young grasshopper. :flashfire:

Piranhafreak
09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes lesson learned i tried it because multiple people said it should work well nope and i dont believe that it would have worked well with a smaller prop it may have well ran the boat but would not have been much if any faster then stock 4s setup

martin
09-19-2011, 06:44 PM
You should of asked on here first & saved the esc burning, No way 6s on a 60amp esc.

Diesel6401
09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I think that PB esc's are rated at 21v not 22.2 (6s) that could also be a good indication of failure. If you would have propped down it could have worked the question would have then been how long. Those esc's are pretty $$$$ you should have sold it first... That's just me!

LarrysDrifter
09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Glad it wasnt mine. Research does pay for itself. That often means dont listen to a new guys advise...not because they are stupid, but because they lack experience.

Piranhafreak
09-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Well from what i could find people were running 5s with no problems and others were saying it could be done i was ready to lose the esc and motor i wasent worried about that but i got more then i bargained for as the boat is a total loss everything was destroyed only thing that is any good is the outdrive rudder all outside metal

Fluid
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
You have to be careful when reading about what "other people" recommend. Many times they have never tired what they are recommending. They may have tried higher voltage in cold weather with low performance cells. They may have run for twenty seconds before the boat flipped, saving them a burn-down. The next time they run it they may burn down. Sometimes they just lie about it. Don't listen to just anybody either, especially on some of the "other boards". Learn whose recommendation to trust and whose to laugh at.

There is a lot of good info on OSE, but even here you'll get bad info from some posters. The names Total Package and X-Factor come to mind..... :blink:

Stinger9D9
09-19-2011, 09:57 PM
You have to be careful when reading about what "other people" recommend. Many times they have never tired what they are recommending. They may have tried higher voltage in cold weather with low performance cells. They may have run for twenty seconds before the boat flipped, saving them a burn-down. The next time they run it they may burn down. Sometimes they just lie about it. Don't listen to just anybody either, especially on some of the "other boards".

I couldn't agree more.

The other thing to think about is...if it's too good (or easy) to be true, it probably is. If all it took to add speed was to just keep upping the voltage, everyone would be doing it.

The main reason to up the voltage is so that (in conjunction with running a lower kv motor) you will draw less amperage at the same prop rpm. At that point you can then slowly up the prop size until your amp draw gets too high, then start all over again with more volts and an even lower kv motor (back down to a small prop and slowly work back up in size) until you're satisfied.

Without changing to a lower rpm motor (and of course the ESC to a higher voltage unit) before raising the volts, you're just asking for trouble.

Just making the motor spin faster is not the way to add reliable speed.

Piranhafreak
09-21-2011, 09:27 PM
the other reason i tried it was this statment by a valued member on this board

Impulse 31
Stock – 32mph on 4S-45C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-25C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-50C
1.9” Prop – 48mph on 6S-25C (Yes, we know you told us not to try this prop with this setup, and as you warned, we fried the ESC on this setup)

You would think when he said this he ment stock which would be stock esc motor ect but that must not be the case :closedeyes:

Piranhafreak
09-21-2011, 09:32 PM
in no way shape or form am i tyring to blame anyone but when some one from this manufacture says this you would think it is valid

Piranhafreak
09-21-2011, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=It measures about 29.5" down the keel... 31" to the overhang.

The hull has a unique spray rail design that should help keep it from submarining most of the time, as well...

Initial speeds are typical of the power system... ProBoat took all their boats out and did some radar testing, using bone stock, out of the box boats with stock, un-prepped ProBoat props and here are the notes they sent me for this boat:

Impulse 31
Stock – 32mph on 4S-45C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-25C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-50C
1.9” Prop – 48mph on 6S-25C (Yes, we know you told us not to try this prop with this setup, and as you warned, we fried the ESC on this setup)

So, I'd expect about 40 or so with the right prop on 4S and obviously much faster with more cells. And WAY faster with more motor!
Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA[/QUOTE]

actually i take that back as this was my deciding factor with going 6s when someone from the manufacture makes a statment like this you would assume its true and this was my deciding factor with going 6s and well now i have a melted and completly destroyed boat i guess it my loss

Diesel6401
09-21-2011, 09:52 PM
in no way shape or form am i tyring to blame anyone but when some one from this manufacture says this you would think it is valid

Darin's job is to test and pretty much beat the crap out of the stock equipment and see how it responds. He does a good job of keeping the crowd in the loop on what he is doing and if it works or not, but it is the responsibilty of the owner/operator of the model to see what the manufactors recommended setup is: the manual states (2) 7.4v lipos or 4s http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB4250_PRB4200-Manual.pdf page 2 of manual. When deviating from the manufactors recommened setup the owner/operator takes the risk of something going wrong. The information is written in manual for reason. He also mentioned he fried the esc, whether it was the combo of the prop + 6s or just 6s we don't know. He said he was using 6s when the esc went.

Piranhafreak
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
And i understand that im not trying to hold anyone liable but it was shown it can be done in stock form which my boat was as for him saying he burnt up the esc with a larger prop well that can be done on 4s as well

Darin Jordan
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
the other reason i tried it was this statment by a valued member on this board

Impulse 31
Stock – 32mph on 4S-45C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-25C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-50C

You would think when he said this he ment stock which would be stock esc motor ect but that must not be the case :closedeyes:

I'm sorry for your troubles, but you can't just take one post, out of context, and think that you can push the limits based on it's information.

I have stated many, many times, that running 5S or 6S on these setups is strictly at your own risk. Pro Boat never recommended it, nor did I. It sucks, I know, but you can't push the limits this far without risking your equipment.

Another point is this... Two people can have exactly the same boat... with essentially the same setup, and one might blow and the other might not... Could be the difference in as little as 1/4" of battery placement or .050" of trim-tab or strut adjustment, or even the difference in how they apply the power and when... Water is very draggy, and drag causes amps to go up. Trouncing on the throttle doing a standing drag-race start will spike your amps well over 100 on one of these setups, where driving it up onto a plan before you lay into is will keep things down in the "under-80A" area... That can make all the difference.

We try to design these boats with some head-room in them to take into account the "newbie/basher" or otherwise those who will push things too far, either intentionally, or otherwise, but with today's demands for out-of-the-box performance, the edge is a little closer out of the box. The stock power system is designed to provide good performance out of the box, with a decent amount of headroom to get a little more performance out of a prop upgrade (and yes... you can easily get to 40-42 with a simply prop upgrade...). Like any other RTR anything (Traxxas, etc.), you need to invest in a proper power system if you REALLY want to make it fly. (I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out the new Thunder Power Z3R-8 Motors... http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=THPM18A1900 , they make a 1400KV, which would be FANTASTIC on 6S, as well as a 1900 and 2100KV...)

Again, I'm sorry you had to experience this. Hopefully you get things working again.

I'm curious... How long did you run it on 6S before it let go?

Piranhafreak
09-23-2011, 09:58 PM
I was running 2 3 s 30c 5000 mah
Lipo made 4 high speed runs then boat stopped canopy blew off about 10q feet in the air then the fire started hull melted everything destroyed only the aluminum is good ohh well I shpuld have known better