PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Bottom Water Pick Up Double

Alfa Spirit
09-19-2011, 05:24 AM
I need your advice for watercooling a 40" catamaran: 2 x HobbyWing 180A esc and 2 NEU motors, what do you think about those double water pickup, one for each combo ESC + NEU motor.
Do they work fine? I' m looking to single water pickups model but I think they are not sufficient
Thanks

tiqueman
09-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I've used them and they work well. Sometimes the thickness of the hull makes you have to deepen the lip on the pickup. Lately I've justt been making my own though. Bent piece of brass or aluminum and it seems to flow a little better, no hard bends or nipples to go through

Jesse J
09-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Second that, the double ones are actually kinda small, whereas the single are bigger. I too have made my own; smaller hole in bottom and cheaper.

JonD
09-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Do the bottom pick ups work better than the rudders with the small holes on either side?

Now a dumb newbie question! Are you supposed to prime all the tubing, motor, ESC etc before first run of the day, and get all the air out, or can they be relied on to self prime once moving along in the water?

Thanks,

Jon

6BOOST
09-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Out of interest what's the benefit/need in doing this over a rudder pickup? I can't particularly see the point, especially as dual pickup rudders are available.

6BOOST

LarrysDrifter
09-20-2011, 07:44 AM
For a more scale look on hulls such as cats. I personally dont like seeing silicone tubing outside any hull, but, since rudders do pick up more water, they are a wiser choice.

6BOOST
09-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Ahhh, sweet, now I see why. That's good, as looks/scale don't remotely interest me, function over form here=)

6BOOST

tiqueman
09-20-2011, 08:17 AM
I don't know larry. I seem to get just as far a stream out the side of the boat with a thru hull than I did with rudder pick ups. Id certainly say the if there is a slight difference, its not enough to say a thru hull isn't efficient enough. The first set I did I had no temp differences at all after a race. And anything to get hoses off the back of the boat is worth doing in my book.

tiqueman
09-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Matter of fact, my sv ran cooler with a thru hull.

siberianhusky
09-20-2011, 08:41 AM
That the SV I have now?
It has two under hull pickups now, no rudder pickup. Water shoots over a foot out of both exits. Motor is at 95 degrees on the water.

tiqueman
09-20-2011, 08:51 AM
That be the one. It seemed whether the rudder was in use w the thru hull, or the thru hull by itself, it ran the same temps which if I remember correctly was more than 15 degrees cooler than the rudder. I even had purchased a new rudder for it to see if that was the issue. I understand that speedmaster etc is way better a pick up than an sv's stock rudder, just wanted to get accross that from my experiences, thru hulls are sometimes better and at least as good as rudder pickups. I use as large as pickup tube as I can that the hose will still go onto. That way there's no nipple or anything to reduce down to restrict water flow until it hits the esc.

Alfa Spirit
09-20-2011, 12:17 PM
The Hopf rudder have inlet and I will mount one double water pickup in the bottom of each transom, make a total of 5 water inlets
How to dispach them ?

JonD
09-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Looks like my earlier question below got missed. Are you supposed to prime all the tubing, motor, ESC etc before first run of the day, and get all the air out, or can they be relied on to self prime once moving along in the water? Do you get problems with air locks etc if any air remains ?

Thanks

tiqueman
09-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Hey Jon. No reason to prime. Just drop it in and go.