PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this set up

shannon87
09-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Hi all firstly pending on other boat offers, but either way i would like to pick up this boat tempted by the looks plus insane speeds to rival all the nitro boats at my club lol.

Anyways i was thinking after i run the stock setup with the exeption of a offshore electrics flex shaft just till i learn to drive better.

Then i was going to drop in a fightercat t500 2200kv outrunner and T-180 esc.

I was thinking an outrunner as i like the sound plus it is something different and also the torque.

Anyways thats the concept if these sales fall through i will order one early next week maybe the week after if i keep only getting half days at work.

I just have an itch that pretty much can only be cured by this boat lol.

Cheers

Fluid
09-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Wow Shannon, your post would be a lot easier to read if you used punctuation, I'm dizzy. That sounds like a good setup as long as the T500 clears the hull bottom - it's pretty large in diameter but it may be fine, I haven't tried it. Actually it runs very well with the stock setup.

shannon87
09-19-2011, 09:57 PM
sorry about that fluid i was in a hurry.

But yes i agree about the stock setup but once the speed bug bites its one hell of a bite lol

siberianhusky
09-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Not a hull to push too fast unless you like repairs!
If you are serious about regularly going over 50 this hull will fail after a few good crashes!
Most of us who have tried it have had problems, I actually toned mine down because I didn't think it would survive the summer.
The design of the hull is great but the half ply toilet paper layup really sucks!
The bottom of the sponsons need a ton of work, dips waves and bulges.
It's really too bad that the quality of the hull doesn't live up to the design potential, but what do you expect for under 400$ ready to toss in the water, I've had a motor/esc combo in it that was worth the entire new price of the boat!
Seriously if your goal is speed as you claim spend the money on a real quality hull you'll be much happier in the long run. I'd honestly give this hull one or two crashes above 60 and it will be broken. Mine didn't even last that long or go that speed before I was doing structural repairs. Did less than a minute on it's first run and the hatch was broken on it's first blow over.

shannon87
10-01-2011, 05:51 AM
hi siberian husky thanks for the heads up its a shame since its such a sweet boat and also having a fast race boat is still looking like u gotta still spend alot of dollars or time getting a durable race boat.

Though i am picking up an apparition thats pre modified with a leopard 4074 and t-180 esc plus original motor and a set of lipos for a excellent price. I plan on getting it reinforced with some carbon fibre.

Basically the original idea was to prove you can have a competative boat to race at my local clubs oval course against the myriad of nitro boats and huge dollar brushless boats hopefully i can do it with the apparition i have no idea what speeds i would need to ultimately acheive to keep up with the nitro boats id be happy to run it on 4s until i learn to drive it properly.

I hopefully didnt wanna get lapped over and over again lol. As i dont think any boat that i have seen was not under 600 bucks worth lol i was hoping to also encourage other people to get into electric racing there and can do it on a budget.

siberianhusky
10-01-2011, 11:45 AM
LOL I had mine out again this morning, you guessed it repair time again! Submarined it and stuffed in the canopy again! Had a 1800kv motor in it today up from the geico 1500kv I had in it before, same prop, was probably in the low 40's when it went under.
I have to put a layer of cloth in the canopy, don't really want to use carbon because of reception issues if I run a rx with a short antennae.
I think the internal stiffening has solved the other problems, the main thing was a better motor mount.
The tape didn't let loose, it must have forced some air out somewhere though because the top was actually suctioned down onto the hull, I guess the neoprene foam tape I put under the hatch lip works.
You know I really love the way this boat runs, the constant repairs are getting discouraging though, I would love to use this one as a plug and pull a mould for a nice strong hull. Won't do it though, don't really need to have the lawyers after my ass over a toy boat!

shannon87
10-01-2011, 06:44 PM
sorry to hear bout your misfortune things like that can be really off putting and yer would love to see a mould for a mad strong hull but stuff getting sued for it im thining at some point after the apparition getting a carbon hull built from fightercat or something when im ready to go 6s plus but do a twin for sure.